Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/25/2013 22:20
  • Post subject:
Some twat on my fb commenting on the Woolwich stabbing:
Quote:
If we can understand, and (judging from social media streams) identify with people who feel outrage at the unprovoked death of one man on a London street – then how on earth can we not understand the outrage at these deaths on the streets of Yemen, Afghanistan and Pakistan? It is utter hypocrisy that one person’s genuine anger at constant, unpunished murder is deemed radical, and that another person’s upset at rare, unlawful, punished murder is deemed rational. Their feelings of outrage stem from the same quest for justice – a hunger for the world to be righted when wronged. This is common humanity.

Those who cannot see a parallel in terror between 7/7 and these drone attacks on civilians have a skewed view of justice. They weigh the value of life in an imbalanced way – some lives are more worthy, more real than others. This is the dangerous thinking that we should all be focussed on stamping out. The misguided premise that some people are less equal, less worthy than others has been the root cause of most of history’s blackest pages, from slavery to the holocaust. It is this that needs to be dealt with – not any individual religion, race, or political ideology.

Bolded part wtf?

Also had one from a kid I know saying we should throw all muslims out the country and a whole load of abuse I can't remember (it's deleted now Sad ) tbf it was much worse but at least he doesn't pretend to be clever, it just made me laugh.
AranD

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/28/2013 22:49
  • Post subject:
It's scary how many people are so apathetic towards politics in the UK. So many literally have no idea whatsoever.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/01/2013 05:05
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Both parties have been moving towards the middle and soon we'll end up like the US - a dominant two party system who are virtually identical to one another.

What?! This is the opposite of the truth. Each party is so afraid of offending its own constituents that they have both gravitated to virtually polar opposite ends of the spectrum. You aren't allowed to be moderate because the vast majority of Americans are so fucking uncompromising when it comes to virtually every issue. It's for this very reason that they both feel completely irrelevant. Each party is more concerned with discrediting the other party than promoting its own values. This is why the majority of political ads in the US are of the form "This is what my opponent ISN'T doing", instead of "This is what I AM doing". Ever seen a US political debate? They'll ask one candidate a question of the form "How do you intend to deal with this problem?" and they'll respond with "This is why my opponent won't be able to fix this problem."

Parties are becoming more and more irrelevant in the US, but it's not because they're the same. It's because they're so stubbornly unwilling to compromise with each other that neither gets anything done.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 06/01/2013 05:08
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
Ever seen a US political debate? They'll ask one candidate a question of the form "How do you intend to deal with this problem?" and they'll respond with "This is why my opponent won't be able to fix this problem."

and that's at their best. Usually it involves much more name calling without the facts to back them up.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/01/2013 05:10
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
and that's at their best. Usually it involves much more name calling without the facts to back them up.

Exactly. I literally wanted to curl up in a corner and cry during the Obama-Romney debates. It almost makes me want the GOP debates to come back.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 06/01/2013 05:13
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
It almost makes me want the GOP debates to come back.

Heh, at least they provided good material for the late night shows. It was a bit scary though, even with all his flaws, Romney was miles above some of those other candidates, who's lack of intelligence made me question why someone would even vote for them.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/01/2013 05:44
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
Heh, at least they provided good material for the late night shows. It was a bit scary though, even with all his flaws, Romney was miles above some of those other candidates, who's lack of intelligence made me question why someone would even vote for them.

Rick Perry is literally governor of a state. For anyone who doesn't fully understand the implications of that statement, I advise you to watch these:

Link

Link

And then here he is trying to defend that ad:

Link

Yeah. That's the guy who is currently governor of the 2nd largest state in the US. Think about that for a minute.
MelverneArkady

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/21/2013 11:04
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
Rick Perry is literally governor of a state. For anyone who doesn't fully understand the implications of that statement, I advise you to watch these:

Jesus fuck, it really terrifies me sometimes that people like this have so much control.

https://soundcloud.com/merlvernearkady

http://melvernearkady.bandcamp.com/
  • Visit poster's website
ross93

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/03/2013 20:52
  • Post subject:
A lot of the politicians are absolute gobshites. It would be good to have a genuine political leader for once. Most of them just talk out their arse and are dishonest, I want to see someone that isn't afraid to tell the truth and has a good conscience . A politician gets asked a question then they just try and sidestep it instead of giving a direct answer. All it does is bring greater distrust between ordinary people and the government.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/03/2013 23:54
  • Post subject:
MelverneArkady wrote:
Jesus fuck, it really terrifies me sometimes that people like this have so much control.

No kidding. I am extremely at odds with the governor of Kansas politically speaking, but I can at least say he has a brain. I can't say that for people like Rick Perry.