How do You choose what album you will look/listen to?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 07/22/2014 16:24
  • Post subject:
I generally go to a variety of sources for new music. In no particular order:

Friends
I have a half-dozen friends with great taste in music, and they're constantly hunting for good stuff and passing it my way. I may never have discovered The Cocteau Twins or Balam Acab if not for some good friends.

Dad
I wasn't alive for The Beatles, Coltrane, Floyd or The Smiths, but my dad was. He's helped give me perspective on the past and has always recommended me high quality music from the days of the dinosaurs. Most notably, he got me turned onto Peter Gabriel's work (solo and Genesis), Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd in addition to a billion other artists.

The Needle Drop
What I love about Anthony Fantana is that he's just one guy with an opinion. He's very opinionated, but he's got good taste, and he admits that everything he says is nothing more than his own personal rhetoric. He's got a channel on Youtube and posts daily. Recently, he got me hooked on Melt-Banana.

Youtube
I usually use this in conjunction with other sources, but just about every album is on Youtube these days. If I get a rec, I go there ASAP. If I like the album, I go to my local record store and pick up a copy. I stumbled onto Cloud Cult for the first time over at Youtube. The Avalanches is another group I first found on Youtube (who could forget Frontier Psychiatrist?)

Everyday Music
Speaking of local record store, Everyday Music is another place to find new music. This is the local shop near my crib. It seems they're always playing something I've never heard before when I go inside, and they are staffed with genuine music-nerds. I first found Arcade Fire and Guillemots at EM.

Pitchfork
As a rule, I don't take much stock in critics like Pitchfork who make money doing reviews. It's not hard for record companies to send cash Pitchfork's way to inflate the scores for their acts (i.e. Sub Pop used to be one of their biggest sponsors). Nonetheless, solely on account of the fact that Pitchfork reviews five new albums every day (25/week), I like to check in from time to time. Ignore the ratings and the review comments though. This is the site that first introduced me to Animal Collective nearly a decade ago.

Best Ever Albums
This is a good place to find recommendations. I generally find charts that I find really interesting and mine the stuff I haven't heard yet. I discovered Moondog and Stina Nordenstam here among others, and there have been many others.

Metacritic
Metacritic is a website that takes an aggregate score of all the music critics out there that they can dig up. Unfortunately, their lists tend to reflect old news, but occasionally, I'll come across something I missed the first time around. It was through Metacritic that I first came across Mariam and Amadou.

Pandora
This has got to be the worst place to find new music, but there are rare occasions on which something pops up here. I found My Brightest Diamond through Pandora, so it's not all bad.
  • Visit poster's website
pa
as it happens

Italy

• Posted: 07/22/2014 20:44
  • Post subject:
meruizh wrote:
When an album seems interesting, by its cover, recommendation, chart, comment or what so ever, I just add it to my Wishlist, in either this site or RYM. This has worked for me a lot. When I am looking for new albums to listen I always have a bunch in my wishlists. Believe me, you'll never ran out of albums.

I used to do almost the same
  • Visit poster's website
nitro2k11

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2014 03:31
  • Post subject:
Album Cover, and genre obviously.
Or my dad I usually like the same stuff as him (his favorite band is White Zombie if that says anything)
  • Visit poster's website
zdwyatt

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2014 15:27
  • Post subject:
I do most of my exploratory listening at work, since I'm sitting in front of a computer all day. Google Play Music is my go-to subscription service. For the current year, I have a playlist of new releases that I listen to on shuffle. Eventually, albums will emerge that deserve a proper listen. In any given year, I usually buy somewhere between five and ten physical albums based on my listening throughout the year.

If I'm not in the mood for new stuff, I work my way through the best albums of years past. Because the volume can be overwhelming, I focus on years full decades behind the current year. So this year I've been listening to a lot of 1974 and 1984. I was already collecting albums by 1994, so it and 2004 have been thoroughly explored.

Every night during dinner, we listen to an album from our physical collection. It's a way to unwind after work, and a fun way to expose the kids to the classics. For example, I recently discovered that my two-year-old loves Purple Rain.
  • Visit poster's website
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2014 20:00
  • Post subject:
Usually by hearing a couple songs, liking them and deciding I want to hear more.

Used to be just one song but I got burned too often.

Occasionally now I've listened to albums everyone praises on this board to see what all the hubbub's about. Found a couple good ones this way but mostly I just find a massive generation gap in tastes that I can't overcome no matter how many chances I give things.
CripplingAutism

• Posted: 07/23/2014 22:16
  • Post subject:
I try to go by the album cover/band name/album name looks interesting, though sometimes I'll take recs from friends.
I also keep a list of any bands that sound interesting to look into on my phone and computer, for organization purposes, butI only use it for bands who's music I don't have immediate access to their music, otherwise I will do a quick Spotify/youtube/various archival site search to download a few albums.
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/23/2014 22:30
  • Post subject:
CripplingAutism wrote:
I try to go by the album cover/band name/album name looks interesting, though sometimes I'll take recs from friends.
I also keep a list of any bands that sound interesting to look into on my phone and computer, for organization purposes, butI only use it for bands who's music I don't have immediate access to their music, otherwise I will do a quick Spotify/youtube/various archival site search to download a few albums.

You missed the part about you looking for albums about rape.
Kiki

• Posted: 07/23/2014 23:07
  • Post subject:
I only use BEA right now to find albums. Mostly going around looking myself. Rarely people will ask me to listen to albums. Most people have charts to find albums on.
meattrain

• Posted: 07/23/2014 23:09
  • Post subject:
On What.CD, I download based off my friends recs. On last.fm, I look at the similar artists. On Soulseek, I see under the user i've downloaded and see what else they have up. I do some research, I might listen to it if sounds interesting enough. It's mostly through wandering around. I might stumble on something on accident. I might attend a share thread on /mu/ here and there. I might ask someone for a rec if I think they have good taste and etc.
  • Visit poster's website
CripplingAutism

• Posted: 07/23/2014 23:10
  • Post subject:
SuedeSwede wrote:
You missed the part about you looking for albums about rape.

But I didn't.
I had heard so much about the album that I figured "fuck it, I'll give it a shot" and I ended up thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Visit poster's website