Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 07/24/2014 11:14
  • Post subject:
AlexZangari wrote:
They're called visual novels. A ton of anime are based off of them. I don't have any recs,

Steins;Gate.

Play it Beeeeeeen
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 07/24/2014 14:55
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
Steins;Gate.

Play it Beeeeeeen

There a download somewhere? All I can find to get are fancy physical releases ...

Oh also

SilverWalrus wrote:
I don't typically play VNs Ben but I could suggest you some if you're down for it. I'd think I could probably come up with a few a lot better than Katawa Shoujo too. Definitely check out Steins;Gate though, that's the foremost example of a VN with a fantastic plot off the top of my head. Also the whole Fate/Stay Night series is pretty well loved, and Key games are pretty great too, Clannad especially in my experience. Like said it's not my forte but I know some of the more well loved ones and am a pretty big fan of a few.

Also I'm currently playing the game of waiting for new Persona releases.

I don't play many either if you couldn't tell by total lack of knowledge but I've actually rather tired of Katawa. Act 2 offers you literally 1 choice the entire time, and I played the game wrong to even take the arc I wanted, so to have that limited a choice was frustrating. Still a very pretty game, still well written, still maybe worth a playthrough, but not as great as I was really hoping for, in retrospect. I started it up so I could work towards 100%ing it and getting the arc I want and just went "Hm ... why?" I'll check those other games out as seriously I have no idea where even to start here.

Oh also because seriously everyone should play it:

Save The Date: http://paperdino.com/save-the-date/

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 07/24/2014 20:57
  • Post subject:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 07/24/2014 21:05
  • Post subject:
I like the future. Smile It's like a distant holiday which I am really looking forward to. Even if it a computer game this is still a lot.
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 07/24/2014 21:49
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:

Link

Pretty hyped about this and also

Link
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco

United States

• Posted: 07/24/2014 21:57
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:

Link

That was one of the only trailers I saw during E3. I saw that as my 1st or 2nd on the stream, tried to watch the next conference that was streaming, and just went "huh, well nothing is gonna touch that" and closed the page.

Plus I'd already missed DA:I I think, which is the one I'm really REALLY stoked for.

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 08/11/2014 17:50
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
OK I've been playing Katawa Shoujo because reddit and it's actually really good. Very pretty, interesting, worth a play for sure.

Okay so you rekindled my interest in this game. Whose path did you take? On my first two playthroughs I ended up on Emi's path. I never finished it though, lost my data both times. This time I made sure to get on the path for the girl I liked the most (Rin). I'm in the fourth act of it and goddamn I've been blown away so far. It's much more than what I thought it would be.

My previous opinion on the game was basically that it's really good for what it is. You know, a cute, remarkably well-written indie romance/erotic VN with a twist. So going into Rin's path I was expecting something similar to Emi's, where everything after the first act is just dating her and all that cute stuff. Yet I'm this far into the story and haven't dated her at all. Instead I'm hit with a surprisingly evocative coming-of-age story that makes me think critically about myself and my own relationship.

Rin is a complex character; she's oddly philosophical, yet without any answers. Always seems confused. She's also quite funny. She has a hard time expressing herself in words and a strong aversion to changing. The interactions between her and Hisao are frustrating in a very good way. I don't read much so if I had to compare the Rin path to anything, I'd compare it to some of the greatest self-discovery films (The Graduate, Lost In Translation, etc.).

Btw, did you play with or without the mature content? I leave it on, but sometimes I feel like those scenes are a bit awkward considering they needed to be written in a particular way so that you can completely remove them and the story still makes sense.
benpaco

United States

• Posted: 08/11/2014 18:18
  • Post subject:
AlexZangari wrote:
Okay so you rekindled my interest in this game. Whose path did you take? On my first two playthroughs I ended up on Emi's path. I never finished it though, lost my data both times. This time I made sure to get on the path for the girl I liked the most (Rin). I'm in the fourth act of it and goddamn I've been blown away so far. It's much more than what I thought it would be.

My previous opinion on the game was basically that it's really good for what it is. You know, a cute, remarkably well-written indie romance/erotic VN with a twist. So going into Rin's path I was expecting something similar to Emi's, where everything after the first act is just dating her and all that cute stuff. Yet I'm this far into the story and haven't dated her at all. Instead I'm hit with a surprisingly evocative coming-of-age story that makes me think critically about myself and my own relationship.

Rin is a complex character; she's oddly philosophical, yet without any answers. Always seems confused. She's also quite funny. She has a hard time expressing herself in words and a strong aversion to changing. The interactions between her and Hisao are frustrating in a very good way. I don't read much so if I had to compare the Rin path to anything, I'd compare it to some of the greatest self-discovery films (The Graduate, Lost In Translation, etc.).

Btw, did you play with or without the mature content? I leave it on, but sometimes I feel like those scenes are a bit awkward considering they needed to be written in a particular way so that you can completely remove them and the story still makes sense.

I went with Hanako the first time, and wasn't sure if I should leave on the content or not. After doing some poking around about what that content would be, the fanbase as a whole actually seemed to agree that Hanako's was especially gratuitous and actually sort of takes away from the gameplay. There were a few different guesses on that, if it was to try and show the scars more or try and have her evolve more into openness or what, but many people seemed to think that it wasn't fitting, so I've never even seen that bit, just turned off the mature content.

Did a second playthrough for Rin actually as, if I hadn't already screwed up trying to get her by the time I met her, I totally would've been after her. Never got far in that though, and, to be honest, got distracted by real life stuff. Haven't finished that playthrough or even gotten all that far, but she seemed the most interesting character to me by far. I had left mature content off for her, less because I was opposed to it and more by "eh I don't feel a need to turn it on."

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 08/11/2014 20:31
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
Did a second playthrough for Rin actually as, if I hadn't already screwed up trying to get her by the time I met her, I totally would've been after her. Never got far in that though, and, to be honest, got distracted by real life stuff. Haven't finished that playthrough or even gotten all that far, but she seemed the most interesting character to me by far. I had left mature content off for her, less because I was opposed to it and more by "eh I don't feel a need to turn it on."

There's one Rin scene where she's high on her medication and she answers the door half naked. It's not very explicit, but if that falls under mature content you're missing out. One of the best scenes in her story. After that I've only come upon one more mature seen with her yet, and that just happened at the end of Act 3 so I'm not yet decided if it was or wasn't integral to the story yet. It was kind of awkward and wasn't led into very smoothly but I will say it led up to a really heartbreaking conversation between Hisao and Rin that really sets the tone going into the next act.

Altogether the sexual Rin content is a lot more meaningful than what I got out of Emi's, which was cute at times but still seemed kind of unnecessary. Also it's not as explicit so far. In fact, as far as I've gotten there has been no actual nudity in this path. I do have a scene missing from Act 3 though in the library menu. Not sure how to unlock it or whether it could be mature.
benpaco

United States

• Posted: 08/11/2014 21:16
  • Post subject:
AlexZangari wrote:
There's one Rin scene where she's high on her medication and she answers the door half naked. It's not very explicit, but if that falls under mature content you're missing out. One of the best scenes in her story. After that I've only come upon one more mature seen with her yet, and that just happened at the end of Act 3 so I'm not yet decided if it was or wasn't integral to the story yet. It was kind of awkward and wasn't led into very smoothly but I will say it led up to a really heartbreaking conversation between Hisao and Rin that really sets the tone going into the next act.

Altogether the sexual Rin content is a lot more meaningful than what I got out of Emi's, which was cute at times but still seemed kind of unnecessary. Also it's not as explicit so far. In fact, as far as I've gotten there has been no actual nudity in this path. I do have a scene missing from Act 3 though in the library menu. Not sure how to unlock it or whether it could be mature.

Huh, I might have to revisit that game some day then. Has seriously been a while, I've just moved on to other things.

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website