How Did You Get Here?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 11/13/2014 00:17
  • Post subject:
ticharu wrote:
I found BEA in the course of doing a bit of research. Rather than just randomly listening to whatever, my daughter and I will pick a year and listen to nothing but 1973 for instance. We thought, wouldn't it be interesting to start further back and listen to the years in order. That requires finding a lot of info and assembling lists of likely candidates for a good close listen. Gives us something to talk about, it's great fun. Currently up to 1955. Wiki falls a bit short as a source for finding stuff to listen to... that's how I've come to join your lovely site.

One of our users Sp4cetiger did something similar and kept track of it, and although he limited himself to American music (at least he did in the beginning? I'm not entirely sure) I figure the threads he did will be a great resource:
http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...mp;start=0
http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...a0f0bac12a

You could ask him personally for recs too. Or anyone around here, for that matter.
PsychologistHD

United States

• Posted: 11/16/2014 14:27
  • Post subject:
There was a wikipedia page with "Albums Generally Considered the Best".

It's gone now, to my knowledge, but it had averaged about 15 lists from magazines at the top, but had a section about BEA at the bottom, noting our Top 15.

My guess is one of you guys put it there, shamelessly promoting the site.
  • Visit poster's website
ticharu

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/16/2014 15:15
  • Post subject:
Thanks for that. I've always felt it was important to listen to any piece of music in the context of the time period it was created, the audience it was created for, etc. Very difficult to do. And also, at a certain point it becomes necessary to try and be methodical because it's always cool to find something you completely missed. It amounts to having gaps in your education. I don't know enough about jazz for instance.

Mostly this site will appeal to list fanatics which I most certainly am one. I know a few other obsessive list makers who might also enjoy BEA.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
hello1928

• Posted: 01/09/2015 03:11
  • Post subject: Google d
Hi there. Why yes, yes I meant to write the subject line that way. I find myself here to get lost in the music. While I love raising my children, and broadening their musical horizons. For myself Rolling Eyes, I have found that not all their little musical tastebuds be introduced to them by their Mother..... Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
choppychop532

Indonesia

• Posted: 05/10/2015 18:23
  • Post subject:
I got here when i was googling for "best Soundgarden album" just to see what other people think of their albums, then i looked around the site and got hooked in the process. Cool
  • Visit poster's website
Tooltallica16

• Posted: 05/11/2015 02:27
  • Post subject:
I got here by looking for a reliable music database to rate albums.
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2015 16:40
  • Post subject:
I found BEA simply by googling something like "best albums of all time." The overall chart here has helped me discover a hundred times more great music than any other page or magazine.
  • Visit poster's website
myanilee

• Posted: 06/23/2015 22:05
  • Post subject:
Good day

Through continiously reading reviews on Allmusic.com and viewing the lists on Digital Dream Door quite extensively I came across this site (just by googling best albums of any given decade)
though the lay-out comes across as a little sparse and maybe dated the idea of a community and room for discussion seemed attractive

YS
Matt
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 08/19/2015 16:45
  • Post subject:
I searched google for the best Muse albums, cause I had my list and I wanted to see who agreed with me. This was one of the options and the URL intrigued me. That was a couple months ago and I used to just come here to see which album was the best by everyone but then I created an account a week or two ago and here I am.
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 08/23/2015 17:36
  • Post subject:
I just wanted to find more albums to listen to! I wasn't agreeing with Rolling Stone and what not, but I eventually stumbled onto here by typing in Google "the best albums of all time." The chart-making feature really enticed me, so I made an account, made a SUPER CRAPPY chart, took a year off, then when high school ended, I logged back on, made a new and improved chart, listened to more music, and made a hobby out of it!