Homosexuality

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 05/23/2015 23:08
  • Post subject:
I can now say that a little bit of faith has been restored in my relationship between my country and I.
Saoirse

• Posted: 05/24/2015 07:50
  • Post subject:
Yeah that's great to hear, obviously our Irish users here are a lot more knowledgable about local politics & culture but I know it wasn't long ago you couldn't legally get divorced, so it's great to see how rapidly, both in ireland and really around the world, the mindset on gay-rights has evolved and prevailed.
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 05/24/2015 10:27
  • Post subject:
Saoirse wrote:
Yeah that's great to hear, obviously our Irish users here are a lot more knowledgable about local politics & culture but I know it wasn't long ago you couldn't legally get divorced, so it's great to see how rapidly, both in ireland and really around the world, the mindset on gay-rights has evolved and prevailed.

Yeah, both divorce and being homosexual were only made legal in the 1990's, things have come a long way in 20 years.

• Visit poster's website
bongritsu
电子人 ( cyborg)

Canada

• Posted: 05/26/2015 04:56
  • Post subject:
andy_hunter wrote:

Although, I have to say there were parts of the unofficial Yes campaign which made me feel a little uncomfortable. A lot of people I know were a little too eager to take an attitude of you're either with us or against us. Both sides were guilty of not engaging with the issue and just arguing past each other. I know I voted yes cause I believe in liberty and equality and that same-sex marriage (along with anything else) should be presumed innocent until proven guilty. Some people just took the view of "vote yes its the right thing because it is", which isn't an intelligent argument in my view.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opini...50316.html

Pretty typical for 21st century liberalism tbh. I mentioned earlyer in this thread that liberalism has replaced christian piety as a vehicle for post class status signaling. Pretty plainly shown during the Irish vote.

I FEEL DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AS A PERSON OF JUDGEMENT.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 05/26/2015 06:24
  • Post subject:
bongritsu wrote:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opini...50316.html

Pretty typical for 21st century liberalism tbh. I mentioned earlyer in this thread that liberalism has replaced christian piety as a vehicle for post class status signaling. Pretty plainly shown during the Irish vote.

Okay first again I think it's a bit laughably hypocritical that their main outcry has been that their intolerance hasn't... been tolerated. That somehow cause they're more honest about their intentions (in their view) than the other side somehow that means the argument for equality is wrong. Sure, any movement has SOME people that take a sort of a arms-crossed strawman approach to their side of the issue and can murk up the greater picture by making it a black-and-white, you're-for-us-or-against-us tug of war. Given this is clearly a biased editorial that ignores the often militant, un-inclusive side of people supporting the NO vote as well. I do believe even issues like basic equality for gays and lesbians do need to be discussed... but there was nothing "illegal" or wrong about people democratically deciding to allow gay marriage in their home country. This seems far more like whining that the world is changing and it's not pointing in the direction of up-until-recently unquestioned traditionalism, no matter what the consequences of it's uglier, more intolerant nature happened to be. So yes we can go on and lamet all about the lost "Christian Piety" and how some can no longer discriminate against and treat those as second class citizens cause some megalomaniacs personally believe have an amoral lifestyle, or whatever, but for once you can't point to some interventionist court subverting the will of the people- it was a totally democratic process and result, and by all means those opposed can bring lawsuits and future referendums if they so choose, but they can't say they have the automatic support of the populace on their side anymore.
bongritsu
电子人 ( cyborg)

Canada

• Posted: 05/30/2015 18:38
  • Post subject:
Saoirse wrote:

That somehow cause they're more honest about their intentions (in their view) than the other side somehow that means the argument for equality is wrong.

Its less about the augment of gay marriage and more about the fact that liberalism is the new religion and they are just as bigoted toward religious people and rightwingers as religious people and right wingers were ever to gay people except with no reasons past personal shrillness. They like to picture themselves as paragons of virtue but they really are not.

[quote="Saoirse"] This seems far more like whining that the world is changing and it's not pointing in the direction of up-until-recently unquestioned traditionalism, no matter what the consequences of it's uglier, more intolerant nature happened to be. So yes we can go on and lamet all about the lost "Christian Piety"/quote]

The problem with liberalism replacing the church is that it inadequately does so. Liberalism is inherently shallow and selfish. Churches challenges you to become a better person. social liberalism flops around teaching you that there are no consequences, for you and others, to your actions. Churches elevate you to look higher then things of the flesh and waning pleasure. Liberalism throws a tantrum if you don't let them have an orgasm.

I FEEL DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AS A PERSON OF JUDGEMENT.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2015 18:52
  • Post subject:
bongritsu wrote:
Its less about the augment of gay marriage and more about the fact that liberalism is the new religion and they are just as bigoted toward religious people and rightwingers as religious people and right wingers were ever to gay people except with no reasons past personal shrillness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of...ted_States
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2015 19:04
  • Post subject:
bongritsu wrote:

Its less about the augment of gay marriage and more about the fact that liberalism is the new religion and they are just as bigoted toward religious people and rightwingers as religious people and right wingers were ever to gay people except with no reasons past personal shrillness. They like to picture themselves as paragons of virtue but they really are not.

Not really a religion, mate, a lot of the Jews, Muslims, and especially Buddhists I know are among the most liberal people I know, though Christians and atheists are too. I don't like atheists or liberals who go "religion is the bane of all evil" cuz it's not, it's the bane of a lot of evil, but it's the misuse or selective use of religion that sucks. See: Choosing some laws in the old testament over "Love Thy Neighbor", radical Muslims destroying historical monuments of their own religion in the name of a bastardized "Islam", etc.

bongritsu wrote:
The problem with liberalism replacing the church is that it inadequately does so. Liberalism is inherently shallow and selfish. Churches challenges you to become a better person. social liberalism flops around teaching you that there are no consequences, for you and others, to your actions. Churches elevate you to look higher then things of the flesh and waning pleasure. Liberalism throws a tantrum if you don't let them have an orgasm.

Isn't one of the biggest complaints about liberalism the whole "they want to spread the wealth/help the poor" thing? Like correct me if I'm wrong but a lot of facets of liberalism seem to be inherently unselfish, and you've not really given an example of how liberalism is shallow or selfish. I can tell you right now that churches fail as often as mosques as often as synagogues as often as temples as often as political parties in instilling any real morals in people. Your set of morals can come from any number of places, be it the church, be it yourself, be it your family, be it your schooling, be it quantum physics, be it whatever, it doesn't have to come from an altar.

Ex: The 4 nicest people at my school are a Catholic, a Mormon, an agnostic, and an atheist, and the nicest 2 teachers I've ever had were Muslim and Jewish, respectively. The biggest bullies I can currently think of at my school are a Catholic, an agnostic, a Christian (not sure more detailed), and an atheist. The 2 meaneast teachers I've ever had were Jewish and Catholic, respectively.

PEOPLE may be inherently shallow and selfish, but I don't think liberalism or religion is.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2015 19:18
  • Post subject:
bongritsu wrote:
liberalism is the new religion

Wink

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/30/2015 19:18
  • Post subject:
You only got to look at history (hell, you can funnily enough look to Ireland as a prime example) to see that religion doesn't necessarily lead to a more tolerant and loving outlook.
  • Visit poster's website