Bonds Tracks / Deluxe Editions are they even worth it?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 07/10/2015 02:09
  • Post subject:
I like to imagine deluxe edition tracks as like an encore, but I hardly ever purchase them. But I gotta reiterate what was said earlier. If one of my favorite albums was reissued with some mega-deluxe anniversary edition thingy with a ton of bonus shit, then perhaps I would consider purchasing it. Like, 17 years down the road when Good Kid, MAAD City gets some 20th anniversary addition (assuming I'm still in love with it), I'd likely purchase it.
andyw110183

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/10/2015 05:20
  • Post subject:
I absolutely detest "deluxe editions", almost to OCD levels. If I mistakenly download one, I must delete all bonus tracks instantaneously.

Albums are supposed to be listened to, in the format in which they were originally released imo.
  • Visit poster's website
decemberhotel

• Posted: 07/10/2015 14:40
  • Post subject:
andyw110183 wrote:
I absolutely detest "deluxe editions", almost to OCD levels. If I mistakenly download one, I must delete all bonus tracks instantaneously.

Albums are supposed to be listened to, in the format in which they were originally released imo.

Seriously, seems a little anal to me Confused
  • Visit poster's website
PsychologistHD

United States

• Posted: 07/10/2015 14:46
  • Post subject:
andyw110183 wrote:

Well that's a bit extreme.

I don't mind just having them as long as they're not imposed onto the same record (like a really bad edition of Quadrophenia I was given). I'm just fine with my Deluxe Editions of "IV" and "Houses of the Holy", although I don't plan on revisiting the extras in time soon.
  • Visit poster's website
louisjwyatt

United States

• Posted: 07/10/2015 15:05
  • Post subject:
andyw110183 wrote:

I kind of have to agree. If I don't delete the bonus tracks, I feel like I have to stop listening to the album once I finish the intended final track. Otherwise it just disrupts the whole feel of the album. They're fun to have, but as far as serious listening goes, I'm only going to listen to an album the way it was intended to be listened to - at least as long as it's an album I haven't heard multiple times already.
  • Visit poster's website
meruizh

Mexico

• Posted: 07/10/2015 15:36
  • Post subject:
andyw110183 wrote:

I do exactly the same!
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/10/2015 15:49
  • Post subject:
Wow. so the general consensus is that bonus tracks suck?

I will say that many many times, deluxe editions are simply cash grabs, but there's a lot of times when I've really dug bonus tracks. I guess it kind of depends on why they didn't make the album. In some cases, the songs just didn't fit with the mood of the other tracks, or didn't physically fit on the record because there's a limited amount of space (not quite the case with digital, but still is with vinyl). Outtakes offer a nice perspective in some cases such as the VU stuff Permafrost mentioned.

The bonus cd that came with In Rainbows is just as good as that album. I love a lot of the bonus material from the special releases of Blur's discography. I think it completely depends on the artist and why the particular tracks didn't make the cut of the record. And also just how much of a completist you are.
  • Visit poster's website
louisjwyatt

United States

• Posted: 07/10/2015 16:16
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Wow. so the general consensus is that bonus tracks suck?

I will say that many many times, deluxe editions are simply cash grabs, but there's a lot of times when I've really dug bonus tracks. I guess it kind of depends on why they didn't make the album. In some cases, the songs just didn't fit with the mood of the other tracks, or didn't physically fit on the record because there's a limited amount of space (not quite the case with digital, but still is with vinyl). Outtakes offer a nice perspective in some cases such as the VU stuff Permafrost mentioned.

The bonus cd that came with In Rainbows is just as good as that album. I love a lot of the bonus material from the special releases of Blur's discography. I think it completely depends on the artist and why the particular tracks didn't make the cut of the record. And also just how much of a completist you are.

I'm not saying they completely suck. It depends mostly on my relationship with the album and why I'm listening to it, among other things.

If there's an album I already adore, I'll gladly listen to a deluxe edition, just because I like to hear the extra tracks. If it's a first time listen, I like to hear the initial product before delving into all the extras. And yes, in some cases they are simply cash grabs. I personally like vinyl deluxe editions, because then you get the original record along with maybe another separate one or a CD that contains all the extra tracks. When it's a digital album and iTunes plays the extra tracks automatically, it sometimes disrupts the listening experience for me. Again, it depends on a lot of factors.
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 07/10/2015 18:36
  • Post subject:
SleepDealer wrote:
Sometimes they are worth it. It depends how much you like the artist.

It's a bit frustrating when the deluxe or special edition is rushed out within a year of the original release - effectively rewarding the johnny come lately casual buyer instead of committed fans.

Amen to all of this.

God bless you always!!! Smile Smile Smile

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website