Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 360, 361, 362 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/19/2016 04:45
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:

Giving numbers to music feels like such a Sisyphean task. And if I try to be systematic and numerical I end up obsessively trying to make sure the entire system is internally consistent, spending way too much time on little tweaks, and second-guessing my own taste. So instead I've been trying to trust my instinct. In a similar vein, I've been starting to try to make my charts as subjective and personal as possible, based on what music is most important to my life and what music I come back to again and again.

EDIT: Your chart has a lot of great picks! Here are some I haven't heard that I'll try when I have a chance: 37, 56, 58, 64, 79, 82, 95

Thanks! Hope it works out for you!

1. Totally agree with the number system. As I'm now in my 4th decade, I wonder if my assigning a number hasn't been consistent ALL THE TIME. And yes it drives me crazy.

2. I feel my number system is helping me be subjective and personal as possible... but possibly not in the best of ways... like having too many Beatles and U2 records highly ranked... I keep going back and forth between one album and one artist (way back burner idea, but it pops up), vs truly wanting to reflect my favorite, most personally influential, liked record by me. So my 80s might be just like U2 and R.E.M. for the first 50 entries and then finally some pixies and cure... haha.

3. With doing the numbers thing... I'm finding a problem in my 70s list where my gut would tell me to rank Exile on Main, London Calling, and The Wall in my top 10, if not at least my top 20... but they didn't make it due to the numbers... they have too many "less" important tracks... so does that properly reflect or does my gut? haha.

4. If I didn't use my number system... I can't get past number 20 and seriously rank an album. If you look at my 90s list right now that I haven't touched since like 2012/2013... I just listed the first artists/then albums that came to mind that impacted my life. I suck at ordering. I can't really justify why an album would be ranked 50 vs 70 vs 30... at that point it becomes very hard to be subjective yet "factual" to your own opinion, if that makes any sense.

Anyway those are more rhetorical questions/statements and just kind of venting my chart difficulties as I work through my process Smile.

Also very intrigued on how you are able to do your journal and this ranking. Meaning you do stuff from 2010s AND are able to do your decade charts. I feel like I'm swimming in music (I average 9.7 albums a day since I started in February). Luckily at work I can still feel productive both working and listening to music... but today I was only able to listen to 3 albums.... and usually do like 12 on the weekend.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/19/2016 05:36
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I keep going back and forth between one album and one artist (way back burner idea, but it pops up), vs truly wanting to reflect my favorite, most personally influential, liked record by me.

Also very intrigued on how you are able to do your journal and this ranking. Meaning you do stuff from 2010s AND are able to do your decade charts. I feel like I'm swimming in music (I average 9.7 albums a day since I started in February). Luckily at work I can still feel productive both working and listening to music... but today I was only able to listen to 3 albums.... and usually do like 12 on the weekend.

You listen to way more music than I do. I didn't listen to all the albums again to compile the decade chart; for most I simply recalled my past experiences listening to them. The only way I do what I do is that I'm not nearly as thorough as you are.

When I revise my overall again in a few months, I will probably pursue the "desert island" concept. Being trapped on this hypothetical island, I would want the albums with the greatest replay value and personal significance. At the same time, I would want a wide variety of musical styles to avoid boredom - which leads me naturally to the one album per artist rule.

There are a bunch of advantages to the one album rule: providing more recs to others, representing a broader picture of one's personal taste, in some ways simplifying the ranking process. If you're torn you could do a custom chart with the rule in order to see which result you like better, choose one of the methods to serve as your main chart, and then still keep both accessible on your charts page.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 04/19/2016 14:15
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
I keep going back and forth between one album and one artist (way back burner idea, but it pops up), vs truly wanting to reflect my favorite, most personally influential, liked record by me.

There are a bunch of advantages to the one album rule: providing more recs to others, representing a broader picture of one's personal taste, in some ways simplifying the ranking process. If you're torn you could do a custom chart with the rule in order to see which result you like better, choose one of the methods to serve as your main chart, and then still keep both accessible on your charts page.

In regards to the one album rule, I switched over to doing it with my overall when I realized that there was really hardly a distinction in my feelings towards a second or third album by one band and the favorite by another. Everything in the chart essentially falls in line with what I consider to be 5 star albums. Plus it helps when you consider how meaningless the chart is, and that it's value is really as a mode of recommendation, and no one needs to know that every Beatles record is worth hearing.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 04/19/2016 23:19
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

In regards to the one album rule, I switched over to doing it with my overall when I realized that there was really hardly a distinction in my feelings towards a second or third album by one band and the favorite by another. Everything in the chart essentially falls in line with what I consider to be 5 star albums. Plus it helps when you consider how meaningless the chart is, and that it's value is really as a mode of recommendation, and no one needs to know that every Beatles record is worth hearing.

Very good points by the both of you... hmmm... maybe I'll do a hybrid (best of the decade is 50 Beatles albums, but my overall is one artist... cause having a chart with only Beatles and U2 albums would indeed be boring (I have like 15 U2/R.E.M. albums on my current 4 year old chart, and lots of people comment on how boring that is, even if that really is representative of me (mostly).

But the closer I get to my final chart... I really probably have no other option than one artist per so that I can "fit" all this re-evaluated understanding, etc. Satie had this rule of nothing over 80 on his charts... well if I were to do 50s, 60s, and 70s as my chart right now, I have 168 albums with 80 and over scores... but only 30 90 and over... anyway rambling thoughts.
  • Visit poster's website
Mies

• Posted: 04/20/2016 13:26
  • Post subject:
Published my chart again and I made it new, so take a look if you want! Wink
Constructive criticism is well accepted.

(I made it new because I kept it private for a long time to work on it and now the last public one, with comments related to it, was really too different from how it is now. But now I'm going to keep it public anyway, because I want it to eventually grow without keep it private, under everyone's eyes.)
pa
as it happens

Italy

• Posted: 04/20/2016 13:45
  • Post subject:
Mies wrote:
Published my chart again and I made it new, so take a look if you want! Wink
Constructive criticism is well accepted.

(I made it new because I kept it private for a long time to work on it and now the last public one, with comments related to it, was really too different from how it is now. But now I'm going to keep it public anyway, because I want it to eventually grow without keep it private, under everyone's eyes.)

Hurry up guys, his chart is public just a few weeks a year Mr. Green
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 05/01/2016 01:31
  • Post subject:
I just finished my 80s chart/exploration. I listened to 279 albums and only 79 of them were terrible/worth skimming. I skimmed ones I have memorized more or less as well because I plan on reviewing them in depth later (top 100 of each decade).

Anyway here she be:

Top 100 Music Albums of the 1980s by sethmadsen
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 05/02/2016 04:11
  • Post subject:
I just updated my yearly charts from 1950 to 1989. My brain about exploded from the data entry.

It was so insightful and educational for me. I learned a lot (oh, really... THAT album came out when THIS album came out??? and geez... some years are terrible and some years are WONDERFUL (for what I've discovered at least).

Because I haven't done deep dives into each year... I just ranked the ones I've listened to (even the terrible ones, but they were last). It helped me put historical perspective on each year. Fun project.

Recommend it to anyone who keeps track of their music (it took me about 2 hours to update it from the spreadsheets I have) to see those insights.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 05/02/2016 19:39
  • Post subject:
My 2016 chart has finally hit 100 albums, so check it out and leave me recommendations!

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 05/04/2016 19:28
  • Post subject:
one hundred 2016 albums for your listening pleasure