Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/05/2016 16:24
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:

Story already leads baseball in strikeouts. It's all about the adjustments you make. Maas didn't adjust, which is why he fizzled out. Pederson hasn't adjusted well. We'll see how Story does.

What, in the meantime, to do with Jose Reyes????

I watched Brooks Robinson as a kid. He was the guy who got me playing third base. Brooks is a HOF'er, a guy who got there on his glove...Arenado is, by far, the best third baseman I have ever seen. Better than Brooks Robinson. And he has the bat to go along with it. I sure hope that they can figure out the pitching there so he doesn't have to spend his best years playing great baseball for a mediocre team.

Totally agreed. Story is just going to have to learn to adjust or he'll fall flat. There's gotta be someone in the league willing to take a chance on Reyes. He was one of my favorite players while on the Mets, but that's quickly faded. I'm not sure who will be willing to deal for him, but he really has no place on the Rockies.

Yeah, I grew up playing a lot of 3B as well. I'm not sure I've seen anyone as good as Arenado in my lifetime. Funny enough, Machada is right there with him. We might be seeing the two best fielding third basemen of all time at the exact same time. They're both on that Robinson/Schmidt level. I think Rolen and Beltre in their primes are the most recent 3B anywhere close to this defensive caliber
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 05/05/2016 21:01
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:

Arenado is, by far, the best third baseman I have ever seen. Better than Brooks Robinson.

whoa there that's some blasphemy you're spouting

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 05/05/2016 22:24
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Romanelli wrote:

Arenado is, by far, the best third baseman I have ever seen. Better than Brooks Robinson.

Nope. Arenado is that good. He's better than Machado, and he's better than Brooks. I know I have a soft spot for him, and I watch him play every day...but he really is that good. I grew up idolizing Brooks Robinson. This guy is better.

But hey...here's a video of just his 2015 highlights. Not included are his 42 HR and 130 RBI.

Link

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 05/06/2016 13:53
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Romanelli wrote:

Nope. Arenado is that good. He's better than Machado, and he's better than Brooks. I know I have a soft spot for him, and I watch him play every day...but he really is that good. I grew up idolizing Brooks Robinson. This guy is better.

But hey...here's a video of just his 2015 highlights. Not included are his 42 HR and 130 RBI.

Link

It sure doesn't hurt that he plays in the best hitters park in baseball for half his games

Here are some highlights of Manny being incredible

Link

Along with 35 HR, 20 steals and a .286 batting average.

Don't get me wrong, Arenado is awesome, but I'd put Manny ahead of him personally.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/06/2016 14:03
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:

Don't get me wrong, Arenado is awesome, but I'd put Manny ahead of him personally.

As an outsider without the home team favoritism, I think the two are pretty interchangeable. I'd put both in the top 10 position players in baseball, and most likely top 5. I think both are totally elite defenders. Two of the best the game has seen. Trying to pick who's better is like splitting hairs
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon

United States

• Posted: 05/06/2016 14:04
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:

As an outsider without the home team favoritism, I think the two are pretty interchangeable. I'd put both in the top 10 position players in baseball, and most likely top 5. I think both are totally elite defenders. Two of the best the game has seen. Trying to pick who's better is like splitting hairs

I'd agree with that, it's definitely close

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 05/06/2016 19:50
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Romanelli wrote:

Link

Wright at his height was about this good I feel like, and for as much as I'm not fans of them as people Jones and ARod definitely ay the least had more years of incredible.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 05/06/2016 23:00
  • Post subject:
The only one of the players mentioned who belongs in the same converastion as Arenado defensively is Machado. I say Arenado is better simply because I've seen more of him, which I know is not at all scientific reasoning. I do know a lot of Machado, and he is a very fine defensive player.

Arenado, btw, hit more HR on the road last year than at home, so going the way of lumping him as one of the "products of Coors" (I hate that phrase) isn't quite accurate. Machado hit more at home...like most players do. And before we get into the whole "Coors Field" thing...again...(yes. It's a hitters park. But there are many of them in baseball) The Rockies hit 18 more HR at home than on the road in 2015. The Orioles hit 39 more at home than on the road.

And yeah...the Rockies do have one of the best home field advantages in sports. Kind of. Every team has the advantage of playing almost all of their games at basically the same altitude, except for the 2-11 games they go to Denver for. It's a quick adjustment, and they get to go back to normal play quickly. The Rockies have it different than any other team. Yes, they play 81 games at altitude, but they also have to play 81 games at sea level, so Rockies hitters (and pitchers) have to be always adjusting for altitude. So you are going to see more dramatic splits from Colorado players. But I believe that those splits should not take away from how good those players are perceived to be.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
LoneStarRebel

• Posted: 05/07/2016 16:30
  • Post subject:
LoneStarRebel wrote:
So there is this fund for a bench in Central Park in honor of David Ortiz:
http://www.centralparknyc.org/about/abo...eamID=1621
Crazy that people are actually giving money for that.

Update - Bench goal reached. There will be a bench in Central Park bearing a plaque with the name of David Ortiz.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2016 21:33
  • Post subject:
I know it's a bit early but with the first wave of all star votes getting released, would be curious to see everyone's picks.

Here's my ballot (with pitcher guessses but obv those don't really count)

AL
1B Cabrera
2B Altuve
SS Bogaerts
3B Machado (though honestly Valencia and Castellanos have been having insane seasons as well)
C Perez
DH Ortiz
OF Bradley
OF Trout
OF Trumbo (Reddick and Desmond deserve honorable mentions but I feel like NL is way more stacked, and for as good as Cain and Bautista have been I feel like they'd mostly just get it cuz name recognition)
SP Sale
SP Quintana
SP Hill
SP Zimmerman
SP Salazar
RP Davis
RP Britton
RP Kimbrel

NL
1B Belt
2B Murphy
SS Cozart
3B Arenado
C Posey
OF Braun
OF Ozuna
OF Pence (this is a super stacked one though, Marte, Piscotty, Herrera, Fowler, Polanco, CarGon, Cespedes, Duvall, Harper, just insane year for outfielders)
SP Kershaw
SP Arrieta
SP Syndergaard
SP Bumgarner
SP Tehran (though again, REALLY stacked, Nola, Lackey, Hendricks, Cueto, Hammel, Lester, Pomeranz, Cole, Fernandez, Samardzija, Scherzer, Velasquez, Hellickson, and Chatwood all at least deserve mentions here)
RP Jansen
RP Familia
RP Rodney (obviosuly the least tested here, but the 19 innings of shutout ball with 10 saves on a 20 win team is pretty impressive)

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website