Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 01/18/2017 17:15
  • Post subject:

Purple Rain by Prince And The Revolution

Blood Sugar Sex Magik by Red Hot Chili Peppers

Overall Total: 110

So I've now reached 50 American albums (as per BEA standards), gonna do a few more write-ups!

• Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 01/18/2017 19:04
  • Post subject:
As I mentioned I've now ploughed through the to 50 albums from the USA on BEA, I've already done some writeups on these (Doolittle/Pet Sounds), so I've selected 3 more I love to write about this time and they are...

Rain Dogs by Tom Waits
An obvious choice and an album that languishes just outside my top 10, probably would've wrote about it already had it made the BEA top 100, but it's just outside that so we've had to wait until now. It's gorgeous though. Lovely blues/folk/jazzy tones that complement Waits' voice perfectly. The huskiness of it has always appealed to my senses and I think it comes across at its strongest in Rain Dogs. Picking a favourite track is nigh on impossible (if I had to hazard a guess it would be down to Singapore/Jockey Full Of Bourbon/Big Black Mariah/Union Square/Rain Dogs the title track), generally the livelier songs I guess, though that's also like a third of the album so it shows how great it is (and those songs are just based on my mood today, it could easily change again tomorrow...). I can understand the hesitancy in listening to Waits for the first time, I'm sure I was hesitant too, I've come to love him and most of his work though and I simply cannot imagine music without this man.

Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth
Another album I may have seemed hesitant to initially, the noise and length can be a tad overwhelming at first, but like with Waits, another listen can often reveal what's present if you dig a little deeper. It's an album that gradually began to suck me in and intrigue me until I loved every inch of it, including the noisy riffs. I guess noise rock is the best way to describe this, though it's clear a lot of modern 00's 'alt rock' albums draw from inspiration from it, whether they realise or not. Teen Age Riot/Eric's Trip/Hey Joni are all proper rock anthems in my eyes, stuff I get into still after numerous listens. Multiple guitars, multiple vocalists, it works for Sonic Youth and I love it! This album has languished within the top 50 (and usually 20-30) of my overall chart for years now, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I've yet to love a Sonic Youth album as much as this, I'm still hopeful that will change though. Much like my initial thoughts on Daydream Nation were, cannot recommend it enough.

Weezer (The Blue Album) by Weezer
I first stumbled upon Weezer upon seeing the video for Buddy Holly on MTV, my attention was instantly caught. It's effectively a pop rock album I guess, where Weezer let their nerdiness shine through. I love every second of this album nowadays. The World Has Turned And Left Me Here stands out as a personal favourite, the drumming at the start sucked me in and the lyrics and tune throughout kept me coming back. Buddy Holly and Undone (The Sweater Song) are obviously the big pop hits with good reason, but Surf Wax America and My Name Is Jonas also hold their own (as does most of the album to be fair). I picked up a physical copy of this album as soon as I could in my school days and it was worth every cent. Pinkerton, the follow up album also holds it own as a classic album (albeit quite different to everything this has to offer). The Blue Album is a polished pop rock album essentially, one of the best out there and probably Weezer at their best (unless they find someway to prove us all wrong...).

Overall Total: 110

My Recommendations USA Albums:
1. Pixies - Doolittle
2. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
3. Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
4. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
5. Weezer - Weezer (The Blue Album)

• Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 01/22/2017 20:52
  • Post subject:
Quality listening over the past few days:

To Pimp A Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar

Transformer by Lou Reed

MTV Unplugged In New York by Nirvana

Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon And Garfunkel

If You're Feeling Sinister by Belle And Sebastian

Overall Total: 115

• Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 01/25/2017 20:47
  • Post subject:

John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band by John Lennon

Hail To The Thief by Radiohead

Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To...ck Emperor

A few more listens, brings me upto 50 albums from the UK so write ups for my recommendations for those coming soon.

Overall Total: 118

• Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 01/25/2017 22:29
  • Post subject:

If You're Feeling Sinister by Belle And Sebastian
A gorgeous album and one of my all time favourites irregardless, I never got into this upon my first time hearing it but months later I drunkenly returned, only to be mesmerised by what I had previously wrote off. It's just perfect, in every sense of the word. I've since picked it up on vinyl and it's probably my most spun record. I guess 'The Fox In The Snow' is the song that dragged me back to Belle and Seb after a few years of no interest in them. I'm genuinely unsure what made me write them off, what I am sure of is what dragged me, alcohol and tea (not together), it was stumbling home towards the bus after Ireland's biggest music festival, tea in hand, that I vaguely remembered some lyrics about tea in this album, I dug it out (internet is great, isn't it?) and fell in love, hard. Since then I've grown to love this album more and more, as well as Belle & Seb as a whole (Tigermilk once graced my top 10 also until the implementation of the famous 'one album per artist' rule). I realised I've made no attempt whatsoever to describe the actual sound of this album, but in some case I just don't think you have to, this is one of those times.

Pink Moon by Nick Drake
Possibly the best folk album ever made and on its day, my favourite folk album. Quite short but it's learned how to warm my heart. For a long log time if you asked me what my favourite Nick Drake album was I would have instantly leaned towards Five Leaves Left (also beautiful and one I love immensely still, check it out also if you have not already). The album is short, too short almost, but wonderful for what it is, heart melting folk music. Everything that Drake oozes is just lovely, from his guitar work through to his voice, the man truly was something else. Picking a favourite song isn't one bit easy, the albums title track 'Pink Moon' is a clear stand out, but I think I love 'Road' and 'Free Ride' even more so, if that's actually even possible... Something I've been meaning to pick up on vinyl asap. Beautiful folk almost pop like music masking the tragedy that lies beneath. Nick Drake was a truly beautiful musician and it's sad that he never got to contribute more to this world, what he did though is incredible!

Paranoid by Black Sabbath
Yeah, I got this the same day I got Red Dead Redemption on XBOX 360, played the shit out of both of them, in very different ways obviously. Probably my favourite 'metal' album (metal being debatable when you compare this with modern metal albums to a certain extent, but I digress). So yeah, this was peak Sabbath, one of about 5 Sabbath albums I love to bits, with Ozzy at the helm. Iron Man was obviously something known to me before I ever knew who Sabbath were, Paranoid became one of my favourite classic rock go-to tracks quickly, but 'War Pigs' is the real big one. Powerful stuff from Ozzy and Tony Iommi, I've always loved Ozzy's voice right through to his solo stuff and Iommi's guitar work compliments it perfectly. I guess this is what I view as proper metal and one of the starting points for the genre. I don't think I could ever tire of this. Many a good night was spent with as my soundtrack to the wild west back in my school days, I love it and I'm sure many others do to.

Overall Total: 118

My Recommendations UK Albums:
1. Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
2. Nick Drake - Pink Moon
3. Black Sabbath - Paranoid

• Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 01/29/2017 16:59
  • Post subject:
My latest listens include:

Quadrophenia by The Who

Hounds Of Love by Kate Bush

Beggars Banquet by The Rolling Stones

Graceland by Paul Simon

Songs For The Deaf by Queens Of The Stone Age

Overall Total: 123

• Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 02/03/2017 19:06
  • Post subject:

Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) by Wu-Tang Clan

Close To The Edge by Yes

Led Zeppelin III by Led Zeppelin

Spiderland by Slint

American Idiot by Green Day

Overall Total: 128

Wu-Tang is my clear favourite here, probably my favourite hip hop album of all time anyway.

• Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 02/09/2017 01:42
  • Post subject:
5 more albums!

Innervisions by Stevie Wonder

Boxer by The National

Origin Of Symmetry by Muse

Sound Of Silver by LCD Soundsystem

Selling England By The Pound by Genesis

I think Genesis have slightly grown on me here...

• Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 02/12/2017 19:57
  • Post subject:
Another 5 updates, my favourite here a toss up between Songs In The Key Of Life and Demon Days, varying from time to time. Depeche Mode have grown on me though, there's some pretty sweet tracks on Violater. Hot Fuss is the weakest for me, far too overplayed for me over the past decade.

Californication by Red Hot Chili Peppers

Violator by Depeche Mode

Hot Fuss by The Killers

Demon Days by Gorillaz

Songs In The Key Of Life by Stevie Wonder

Overall Total: 138

• Visit poster's website