Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2017 03:00
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Puncture Repair wrote:

3. I think it's a mature nod to your influences and a respectful celebration of them. There shouldn't be anything shame. It tends to really ground the piece, give it a sense of place and history, and also humility.

Do you think the reason Rattle and Hum got slammed was because they did more than nod, they collaborated with the likes of Bob Dylan and BB King?

I think that was half of the reason. I think the other half was the music wasn't that great.

As for Illinois, I hadn't listened to the album or anything by Sufjan Stevens until this thread was posted. So it's very new to me. But I didn't hear any references to other musicians on the album. I may have missed them. Even so, unlike Rattle and Hum, Illinois feels genuinely like one artist's product and doesn't feel pretentious. If Stevens was nodding to his influences on Illinois, it seems he was doing so in a subtle and respectable way, not trying to place himself on the same pedestal. Again, I don't entirely know because the album is so new to me. So far what I've got is that Illinois isn't exactly my cup of tea, but it is a pleasant-sounding homage to the state after which it's named with quite a few good tracks (especially Chicago).
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2017 06:16
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
Puncture Repair wrote:

3. I think it's a mature nod to your influences and a respectful celebration of them. There shouldn't be anything shame. It tends to really ground the piece, give it a sense of place and history, and also humility.

Do you think the reason Rattle and Hum got slammed was because they did more than nod, they collaborated with the likes of Bob Dylan and BB King?

I think that was half of the reason. I think the other half was the music wasn't that great.

hahahaha.

Well, to be fair, Sufjan only mentions Frank Lloyd Wright (that I caught, he could have mentioned musicians/music from the state as well).

I realize this thread isn't about Rattle and Hum, but I actually like it/think a few tracks are top notch, but I agree it is a soundtrack to a movie, not a good album.

Tracks I dig: (live versions of songs are ok and covers are ok)
Van Dieman's Land - pretty good (better message than music)
Desire - fantastic
Silver and Gold - pretty good (better message than music)
Angel of Harlem - fantastic
Love Rescue Me - fantastic
God Part II - fantastic
All I Want Is You- fantastic
Funny that I don't like the songs they cowrote with BB King and Bob Dylan.

But yeah, 7 out of 17 isn't great, the rest are ok, so it is an ok album in my book, somehow it becomes greater than it really is due to the movie and nostalgia, but when I really evaluate it, I suppose it really is just 7 pretty good to great songs and 10 average to below average songs.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2017 06:18
  • Post subject:
Also @StreetSpirit...

I think this album is a grower and if you give it a spin or two, wait a couple weeks and then come back to it and give it a spin or two, it might click. I at first only gave it like a 75/80 and now I think it is a masterpiece. And really appreciate Puncture Repair's take on the Charlie Brown feel. Helped me maybe settle that opinion on it... or at least it gave it a new light to look at it.

But hell, I like Charlie Brown just fine.
  • Visit poster's website