banned user appeal system

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
undefined

• Posted: 02/15/2017 05:14
  • Post subject: banned user appeal system
alright just a thought here: do all bans have to be final? Could we not review some individual cases for potential un-banning after a certain period of time has passed? People can reform y'know? And of course if they drop the ball again the hammer can come down permanently.
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2017 07:12
  • Post subject:
i don't really care for bans myself. if people want to make fools of themselves, that's their business, isn't it?
undefined

• Posted: 02/16/2017 07:28
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
i don't really care for bans myself. if people want to make fools of themselves, that's their business, isn't it?

I mean if they keep it up it kinda makes it less fun for all of us, not to mention some people can get pretty abusive. I'm not suggesting eliminating bans by any means, just adding a path to potentially reverse them
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2017 13:42
  • Post subject:
It takes a lot to get banned here. A whole lot. Anyone who has been banned was already given multiple chances and multiple warnings...banning is not used here lightly or quickly. It's very last resort, and anyone who has been banned from BEA is on that list because all other remedies had been exhausted.

As for people who may want to come back...that's AM's choice. But it's my opinion that if you have been given multiple chances to improve your behavior and chosen to not do so to the point of being banned as a last resort, you should pretty much find somewhere else to hang out. And many of these people try to return (again and again) by sneaking back in without telling anyone, which makes their case for being allowed back even worse.

We have a pretty laid back place here, easy to use and easy to express yourself about many topics. People respect each other here, and it happens without over moderation or excessive rules to follow. I'd say that it's working pretty well without the people who made a decision to not be respectful or to not adhere to a few simple rules.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 02/16/2017 18:45
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
it's my opinion that if you have been given multiple chances to improve your behavior and chosen to not do so to the point of being banned as a last resort, you should pretty much find somewhere else to hang out.

#makebeagreatagain
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 02/16/2017 20:17
  • Post subject:
Most forums proper have an appeal system.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2017 21:10
  • Post subject:
Who wants back in?
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2017 21:51
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Most forums proper have an appeal system.

Appeal System:

1) Don't be a dick and get yourself banned. This means when you receive multiple warnings that your behavior is not acceptable, you should take them seriously and do something about it before you are banned.

2) Creating a new user name and sneaking back in and hiding your identity after you are banned will not win you any points, and will not make anyone think that you should be let back in. It just kind of reinforces why you were banned in the first place.

BEA does not suffer from trolls or abusive behavior, and they also do not suffer from moderators who micromanage the forums. AM has been very tolerant of people, and only hands out permanent bans when nothing else works. (This includes temporary bans. If you are banned temporarily, and don't get the message, what else is going to do it for you?) Making these permanent bans permanent is right because all other avenues have been exhausted, and that person has proven conclusively that them being here is more trouble than it's worth.

Our forums are great. No trolling, no abuse, nobody being an asshole on a regular basis. Which would indicate that what AM does here works.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2017 21:52
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
Who wants back in?

If there is someone who wants back in, I would recommend to that person that they contact AM directly.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 03/26/2017 20:19
  • Post subject:
sorry to be a necromancer here but

Romanelli wrote:
2) Creating a new user name and sneaking back in and hiding your identity after you are banned will not win you any points, and will not make anyone think that you should be let back in. It just kind of reinforces why you were banned in the first place.

I mean I feel like if there was a way to return within the rules this wouldn't really be a problem?

yes I agree that what AM does works and again I'm not contesting the necessity of bans, but I'm also saying that I think if after an allotted period of time we make appeal and return an option, it could make forums at least a little more fun because like I can tell you from first-hand experience that some users who left for being total trolls have since reversed that behavior and I genuinely think could be a positive contribution to the forums.

and obviously if they manage to get themselves banned again after all that, that one will be permanent

not that I don't value Rom's input on this, but AM if you're reading this, what do you think? You are the final say here after all