Ride is back with new songs

View previous topic :: View next topic
TracyJacks

Hungary

• Posted: 02/22/2017 18:38
  • Post subject: Ride is back with new songs
After more than twenty years, one of my favourite shoegaze bands, Ride has released two new songs yesterday and today:

Link

and

Link

What do you think of their new stuff?

I like them, especially Charm Assault and the guitar in it. I hope their new album will be great too.
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 02/22/2017 22:45
  • Post subject:
I guess I shouldn't be surprised about this new shoegaze revival thing that's happening in this decade, since the genre is old enough to warrant fond and nostalgic memories amongst the people who originally followed them. And those youth who adopted that kind of pastel and hopelessly romantic lifestyle probably aren't like that anymore and now a newer generation of indie plebs bright young hopefuls are discovering these new sounds, so these couldn't come at a more perfect time. But, the main problem I have with this resurgence is that shoegaze, while some of it still sounds gorgeous today, is a product of its time and, apart from MBV who can still manage to make timeless music, a lot of these musicians aren't the teenagers they once were and, as a result, these newer songs sound kind of strained. They're not bad by any means, but it's nowhere near as memorable as their 90s output. But, at the same time, all of these reunions from these bands don't feel like cash grabs or insincere attempts to recapture what they had back then. It's like they're fully aware of their limitations and they've reached their peak long ago, but that's not what they prioritise right now. Let's break out of the mundane routines of our current day jobs and make some music again, just for old time's sake. And that warms my heart.
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 02/23/2017 16:11
  • Post subject:
I agree that some of the subgenres of the past created followers of which the quality, especially if measured by current standards, is questionable. You mentioned MBV as an example of the good ones within their genre and to me Ride is certainly also an example just because of the fact that there's a quality to their music which is timeless.
Of course you can wonder why they issue new music after so many years but I do agree with Tracy that the two new songs are great (although I find that Home is a Feeling is better than Charm Assault).
I can't wait for a new album of theirs to come out as well and I hope with you it's not only for old time's sake.
  • Visit poster's website
LordMark

Canada

• Posted: 03/07/2017 06:53
  • Post subject:
So far so good. I'm glad that Andy Bell and Mark Gardener are working together again.
  • Visit poster's website