LET'S RANK 35: Kendrick Lamar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 01/17/2018 09:24
  • Post subject:
His body of work is too small for me to care about ranking him, but I'll do it anyway because I'm bored. I'll include the EPs and Mixtapes I've heard.

To Pimp a Butterfly (2015)
Good Kid, M.A.A.D City (2012)

Section.80 (2011)
Damn (2017)
Overly Dedicated (2010)
Untitled Unmastered (2017)
Kendrick Lamar (2009)
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 01/17/2018 09:32
  • Post subject:
1. To Pimp A Butterfly (100)
2. Good Kid, Maad City (95)
3. Section 80 (75)
4. DAMN. (75)
5. Untitled Unmastered (75)

———————————

1. u.
2. Money Trees
3. The Blacker The Berry
4. King Kunta
5. Sing About Me/I’m Dying Of Thirst

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 01/17/2018 15:28
  • Post subject:
Once his career is said and done he will likely have my favorite discography of all time. Definitely my favorite rapper hands down.

To Pimp a Butterfly 9.5/10
Good Kid MAAD City 9.5/10

Damn 9/10
Section .80 9/10

Untitled Unmastered 8.5/10

Top 10 songs (changes all the time, he has dozens of tracks worthy of a perfect 10/10 score):

Alright
Sing About Me / I’m Dying Of Thirst
HiiiPower
Wesley's Theory
PRIDE.
The Blacker The Berry
Untitled 08
FEAR.
A.D.H.D
Poetic Justice
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 01/17/2018 16:14
  • Post subject:
good kid maad city
pimp a butterfly
section 8
damn
untitled
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 01/17/2018 16:16
  • Post subject:
While TPAB is certainly his artistic statement, GKMC was the soundtrack to a particularly troublesome time in my life, so it gets the top spot.

Rigamortis was the first song I ever heard by Kendrick's; it elevates Section 80.

GKMC
TPAB
Section 80.
Damn
Untitled Unmastered
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 01/17/2018 19:00
  • Post subject:
Great thread.

I actually got into Kendrick because of the hype surrounding TPAB on here and other music based websites, and that record didn't disappoint. In fact, it sparked a huge interest for me in furthering my knowledge of hip hop, jazz, and pop. So thanks BEA! Although I agree with Gowi that his catalog might be a bit small to rank right now, he's become one of my favorite artists as each of his albums has something different to offer and I can't wait for his next project.

1.) To Pimp A Butterfly
2.) Good Kid, Maad City
3.) DAMN.
4.) Untitled Unmastered
5.) Section .80

1.) good kid
2.) Wesley's Theory
3.) The Blacker The Berry
4.) For Free?
5.) FEEL.
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 01/17/2018 20:47
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Hip Hop found its ideal synthesis of pot, laziness, ebonics and Dante's Inferno with DAMN, an album-long buzz-killing disappointment that should've been evident by its post-production title statement, but that the public and critics at large, also too high on pot to notice, and in their own self-perpetuated musical hell of false idols and qualitative purgatory, shamefully anointed to a masterpiece anyway. In a fit of anxiety, Pitchfork made some amends for this with their surprisingly decent "Best Albums of the 60's" list, correcting some of this imbalance by noticing several less-heralded, ground-breaking black artists and their masterpieces, thus finally earning some Scaruffi street cred and saving themselves, for now, from the wrong side of universal judgment. Perhaps this was Lamar's intent all along, in which case, DAMN may have saved all of us and is obviously the most profound and important album of the last several decades.

Gr8 b8 m8.

Anyway, denigrating an album for its use of “ebonics” is pretty racist. AAVE is just as valid a means of linguistic expression as any other dialect of English. And I won’t even get into the “pot, laziness” part of it...

1. Good Kid M.A.A.D. City
2. To Pimp A Butterfly
3. DAMN
4. Section.80
5. Untitled Unmastered.
AfterHours

• Posted: 01/17/2018 21:46
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Gr8 b8 m8.

Anyway, denigrating an album for its use of “ebonics” is pretty racist. AAVE is just as valid a means of linguistic expression as any other dialect of English. And I won’t even get into the “pot, laziness” part of it...

Lol, nice reach there ... such a racist, that's me ... Brick wall

Applause

Yes, let's not even go into the "pot, laziness" part of it. We wouldn't want to offend anyone.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 01/18/2018 01:34
  • Post subject:
Anyway, in case anyone gets mistaken or is not familiar with its references/allusions/puns, and reads something else into it, the "review" is a parody of Piero Scaruffi reviews, which, by association, also ends up being a knowing wink and parody of myself (because our ratings/rankings are so similar). It is also a denigration of Lamar's DAMN album and the exaggerated "profundity" (imo) granted it by many of its fans/critical accolades (nothing to do with the color of his skin just in case it truly needs to be said). It is written tongue-in-cheek (again, with Scaruffi in mind), with made up facts/generalizations (a little play on his infamous Beatles article), and posing the ridiculous idea that Pitchfork has been trying to earn "Scaruffi street cred" (a play back on the hip hop album in question). Hence the irony in comparing its synthesis to Dante's Inferno (comedic but also pointed, as this does seem to also hold some truth in DAMN's actual themes). Hence the additional irony of relating such a profound literary masterpiece to this album, and the insane conviction from Dante in dedicating 12 years of his life to his work, its staggering poetry and visionary content becoming a massive influence on literary and much of art history that followed (especially Biblical, high art/paintings over the next couple centuries). Hence the irony that an artist could produce such a work under the heavy influence of pot (if infact even true) and laziness (both a reference to how tired and laid back much of the album sounds, and how this is a common phenomenon of many -- especially mainstream -- hip hop albums), and through ebonics (Dante's Inferno is written in a very early Italian language so this is comparable to the hilarity that would no doubt ensue if one read Milton's Paradise Lost, or resurrected it in such a style so incongruous to its content, style and format). Furthermore, it plays on the initial reference to Dante's Inferno, with the idea that its fans/critics are in a "self-perpetuated musical hell" "of false idols" "and qualitative purgatory", and with the idea that Pitchfork has avoided "universal judgment" and that Lamar's album itself has predicted and influenced this, also a play back on the claims to its profound depth, its (imo) false artistic importance, and the thematic associations made to it by various analyses.

One could write similar satirical parallels to, say, many punk albums and other works across rock or hip hop or pop history (etc). It has nothing to do with Lamar being black. Period. It could be said to be a play on some of the stereotypes associated with hip hop albums (but if, say, Eminem or The Beastie Boys produced the same work, the same words and references would apply).

As I probably champion more black artists than 99% of all users on this site, including my #1 album of all time, it probably wasn't necessary to explain this, but just in case, there you go...
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 01/18/2018 01:37
  • Post subject:
white people were a mistake

edit: this is also a reference http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/anime-was-a-mistake

Last edited by Tap on 01/18/2018 02:09; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website