Beatles "throw away singles"

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Detroit Rock Citizen

United States

• Posted: 10/09/2009 02:25
  • Post subject:
One album that was made lesser by the time it reached foreign shores was AC/DC's Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap. Whatever possessed Atlantic to leave off Jailbreak is way beyond me. Not only that the Hipgnosis international cover is way out of character. The original cartoon was a hoot.

My chart
http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=689
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
AngryAchilles

• Posted: 10/09/2009 02:38
  • Post subject:
I always mentally stick Day Tripper/We Can Work it Out on Rubber Soul and Paperback Writer/Rain on Revolver. Revolver is in my top ten as it is, and if that A and B Side were included it would be number one. The same goes for Honky Tonk Women and Let it Bleed. The album is magnificent even without their best single included (replaced by the okay Country Honk).
  • Visit poster's website
frightwig

• Posted: 10/09/2009 07:04
  • Post subject:
ffudnebbuh wrote:
By throwaways, I didn't mean that they weren't great songs, I meant that the label, George Martin and I guess Paul or John decided to release them as singles only and didn't included them as part of a new album...

Maybe we could use the term "orphan singles," instead.

In many cases, just adding a couple songs to an album wouldn't have been a problem, since most of the UK LP's were under 40 minutes and the tracks were usually 2-3 minutes each. But the Beatles often recorded several orphan singles in a year--enough to make up 2 CD's worth in 7 years. So even if they had stuffed 16 tracks on some of those albums, they still would have needed to put out a couple compilation LP's like Hey Jude, or the various EP's that Parlophone put out in Britain, anyway.

OK, but I'm not trying to kill the fun....

I was thinking just this week, as I listened to the White Album, about how cool it would be to have "Hey Jude" and the rockin' version of "Revolution," as well as "Lady Madonna" and "The Inner Light," brought into the White Album fold. Although it's not a single, I wish "Hey Bulldog" could have been included in the White Album, too. It was recorded in February '68, a few months before beginning the album sessions, but it would have worked brilliantly in that context.

As if the White Album needs to get bigger! Of course there wouldn't be room for 5 more songs on the double-LP set. Some things would have to come off. So what could you take off without killing the character of the White Album as we know and love it?

We could consider a similar problem with adding "Strawberry Fields" and "Penny Lane" to Sgt. Pepper, too. Including those two songs means adding 7:13 to an album that runs 39:42. In 1967, that might have been pushing it. George Martin probably would have been compelled to pull a track to make room. So what track from Pepper would you lose?
  • Visit poster's website
theharrisonfords

• Posted: 10/09/2009 09:40
  • Post subject:
[quote="frightwigI was thinking just this week, as I listened to the White Album, about how cool it would be to have "Hey Jude" and the rockin' version of "Revolution," as well as "Lady Madonna" and "The Inner Light," brought into the White Album fold. Although it's not a single, I wish "Hey Bulldog" could have been included in the White Album, too. It was recorded in February '68, a few months before beginning the album sessions, but it would have worked brilliantly in that context.

As if the White Album needs to get bigger! Of course there wouldn't be room for 5 more songs on the double-LP set. Some things would have to come off. So what could you take off without killing the character of the White Album as we know and love it?

We could consider a similar problem with adding "Strawberry Fields" and "Penny Lane" to Sgt. Pepper, too. Including those two songs means adding 7:13 to an album that runs 39:42. In 1967, that might have been pushing it. George Martin probably would have been compelled to pull a track to make room. So what track from Pepper would you lose?[/quote]

I just cannot imagine removing any songs from any of those albums. Believe me, I am trying really hard, but I think there's no way to pull it off successfully. I've listened to all of those albums all the way through countless times- I am too immersed into it. I want to say that with each album, my first inclination is to remove the tracks I don't really like as much as others (When I'm Sixty Four is the only one that really comes to mind), but removing songs would be difficult. I would add that somehow, some of those songs would have to mixed in with the album, which would add an interesting tone to the album. I think Hey Jude would be an excellent lift from Revolution 9, before ending with the sad-like good night. Hey Bulldog would be a good addition if correctly mixed with Blackbird/Piggies; have this thing of animals in titles. It would be a good lift from I'm so tired. I don't know if a third Revolution could be worked into the mix, and so I'll not do anything for that one. As for Sgt. Peppers, I wouldn't know where to put all those two tracks. Hello Goodbye would be a good track before A Day In The Life, but would ruin the reprise. Strawberry Fields would be good nearly anywhere between Lucy in the Sky and Within You-- I would say there would have to be a transition mixed in, entering or exiting the song. Another thing to consider is that if those two tracks were on Sgt. Pepper, I don't think they'd be as powerful as they are on Magical Mystery Tour, if they'd even be on the album. I shudder at that thought.
ffudnebbuh
level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/09/2009 11:04
  • Post subject:
AngryAchilles wrote:
I always mentally stick Day Tripper/We Can Work it Out on Rubber Soul and Paperback Writer/Rain on Revolver. Revolver is in my top ten as it is, and if that A and B Side were included it would be number one. The same goes for Honky Tonk Women and Let it Bleed. The album is magnificent even without their best single included (replaced by the okay Country Honk).

Yes, I agree...Paperback Writer should have been on Revelver...Hey Jude/ Revolution on White Album..Strawberry fields/ penny Lane(with the piccolo trumpet) on Sgt. Pepper
  • Visit poster's website
Detroit Rock Citizen

United States

• Posted: 10/09/2009 18:24
  • Post subject:
shoulda coulda woulda
the sad fact is that they're not.
the beatles albums are fine as they are for the most part and past masters is kinda cool in and of itself.

My chart
http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=689
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
ffudnebbuh
level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/09/2009 18:48
  • Post subject:
they are great.
  • Visit poster's website