If there's no devil...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 12/30/2014 17:08
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:

Now biblically, I believe The Garden of Eden never had bad fruit or plants, but when Adam and Eve sinned, God mentioned that part of their punishment was that they had to work and sweat to gain their food after they left Eden. So, I'm sure part of that work was determining if new plants they've never seen before they sinned were good or bad, which means God may have created poisoned plants as a punishment. It's possible God guided them at times if they failed to make good determinations, but it's also possible Adam and Eve stayed away from plants they didn't recognize. I don't know if marijuana was in the garden, but I wouldn't discard the idea because i really don't think the devil would create a plant that has many good qualities. In fact, I don't know if the devil has ever created a plant at all, and I don't think the devil has any reason to. But there's a common saying that the devil puts a little bit of truth in his lies to verify them, so he may do something similar. He may create a new use for something intended to be good. But I don't have any proof of that. And I already stated I don't particularly believe the devil discovered it. I think it would make a good study.

This is gold. Should be added to conservapedia.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 12/30/2014 17:32
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
This is gold. Should be added to conservapedia.

The best part is that Jman claimed not to have any proof of his ideas. Imagine he did. He'd possess the key to religion and philosophy.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 12/30/2014 17:37
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
The best part is that Jman claimed not to have any proof of his ideas. Imagine he did. He'd possess the key to religion and philosophy.

I guess that's what the study is for.
JMan

• Posted: 12/30/2014 17:58
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
I guess that's what the study is for.

Exactly. While writing that post, I was going on determining logic and assumptions. There are thousands of interpretations, so I want to study this for myself, instead of taking people's word all the time and avoiding looking things up for myself. If I rely on other people, I don't really have any knowledge. Plus, those who claim to have all the answers could be stuck-ups who don't really know anything. In my opinion, men of God would take the time to study it instead of flaunting their beliefs here asnd there, along with blessing people for $1,000. So I'm going to look for articles (that aren't written by stuck-ups who's favorite past-times are being right and shouting about it). I know I already mentioned I shouldn't take people's word, but studying multiple articles helps me determine things for myself and practic using logic, and forming my own opinion. Plus, I'd rather read articles from someone who's humble enough not to claim to have all of the answers.

Two more things.
A: If I had that key, Mecca, that would be awesome.
B: [quote="JMan"[blessing people for $1000, Alex] Sorry about the pun, but I felt like I had to post that.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 12/30/2014 19:32
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
Plus, I'd rather read articles from someone who's humble enough not to claim to have all of the answers..

Anyone who claims to have all of the answers in regards to religion really has none. There's no way to prove anything literal in the Bible. People have been trying and failing since for centuries.
  • Visit poster's website
denmarkman

United States

• Posted: 12/30/2014 19:53
  • Post subject:
I dunno about God or the devil or any of that, but goddamn do I hate it when Superman steals my Cubans.
  • Visit poster's website
Billybeattie

• Posted: 01/15/2015 14:47
  • Post subject:
The Devil is a Judeo Christian concept to make you feel guilty about all the things that the said religions want to control in you. Love is the law love under will.
  • Visit poster's website
denmarkman

United States

• Posted: 01/15/2015 20:32
  • Post subject:
Billybeattie wrote:
The Devil is a Judeo Christian concept to make you feel guilty about all the things that the said religions want to control in you. Love is the law love under will.

I think the concept of the devil goes back a little farther than Judaism or Christianity.
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 01/15/2015 21:45
  • Post subject:
This thread is golden. I missed this, guys. Let's keep it up.

Also could Jesus heat up a burrito so hot that even He couldnt eat it?
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 01/16/2015 00:44
  • Post subject:
Defago wrote:
Also could Jesus heat up a burrito so hot that even He couldnt eat it?

I'm going to have a crack at this.

Firstly, I'll change "Jesus" to "God", since Jesus symbolizes God's nature stripped of omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresence, etc. God encompasses every form of the trinity. Makes things a bit simpler.

The question is a challenge to the concept of omnipotence. A layman's definition of omnipotence would be something along the lines of "the ability to enact any proposition". This is clearly problematic, since we can combine contradictory propositions. One way to do that would be to ask "can God create a married bachelor?". If we answer yes, that entails a logical contradiction. Some theists would argue that God is "beyond logic", but I'm yet to hear someone explain what that actually means. The more valid answer would be that a "married bachelor" isn't actually a thing, and that the proposition itself is incoherent.

The burrito problem is different though. It's a perfectly coherent proposition that contradicts another proposition: "can God eat every possible burrito?". It's a defeater of the layman's definition.

The layman's definition has no correlation with theological tradition. If you ask most theologians for a definition of omnipotence, you'll probably hear one of these two definitions:

1. Capable of performing any act that is compatible with one's nature.
2. Being maximally powerful.

The first is informed by a response to the question "can God do evil?". In the Judeo-Christian tradition, God's goodness trumps the ability to perform evil actions. The argument here is that the impossibility of God performing an evil action is not related to God's power, but to His nature.

The second is similar, but broader. The greatest power that is logically possible. As with the last definition, certain qualities "trump" other qualities. Can God create a mountain that he cannot move? Being able to move any mountain is probably a greater display of power than being able to paint yourself into a geographic corner, so let's say that mountain-moving wins. This is a much more functional concept, and more closely resembles the Biblical narrative.

So what wins? Which is the greater display of power? Being able to eat any burrito or being able to create something so supernaturally hot that it destroys his spirit-mouth? You decide.
  • Visit poster's website