0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes : 28

meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 12/04/2014 17:14
  • Post subject: Hands Up
What the fuck America? Your legal system is broken. Can it be fixed? Hard to say.

First Darren Wilson got off without charges and now the Eric Garner case ends similarly. We're living in a country where police seem to be above the law, especially when race is involved. This is a huge problem. If police cannot be held accountable for their actions, then society cannot function properly.

Here's an interesting breakdown of Fatal Police Encounters in New York City:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014...-city.html
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/04/2014 17:29
  • Post subject:
I ticked "who cares? I'm white", but in all honesty here's my account of things as a British outside-viewer. Seems like the Ferguson thing went completely out of hand and the guy was a criminal, however the officer should have been arrested - I mean, he killed someone without him being a real threat. It was pure incompetence and not racism in my opinion, but I guess I don't have the real proof to make an actual case, just my opinion of what the case seems to be.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/04/2014 17:33
  • Post subject:
If Michael Brown and Eric Garner had been white, they'd both still be alive. To me, that's racism - subconscious, institutional, or otherwise. That's where the argument over whether or not these are racist cases begins and ends. If they were white, they would not have been killed.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 12/04/2014 17:42
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
If Michael Brown and Eric Garner had been white, they'd both still be alive.

Exactly. Just like the 12 year old kid in Cleveland.

I'm not sure if these deaths were the result of hatred or fear, but either way racism was the fuel of those emotions.

Also, interesting sidetopic. California's prisons are severely overcrowded due to a ridiculous 3-strike rule that leads to non-violent criminals receiving long sentences. There's talk of finally doing away of that rule, but the government utilizes those prisoners for very cheap labor, so they seem unwilling to free so many prisoners out of fear that they'll lose their borderline slave labor force.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 12/04/2014 17:55
  • Post subject:
I think all attempts to avoid indictment of Darren Wilson are the product of racist bullshit and a dangerous relationship between lower level courts and police force, but they were still able to pull the "well we don't know exactly what happened" card (which of course is exactly why there should've been an indictment but that's beside the point).

Eric Garner on the other hand... you can't even hide that one behind the guise of anecdotal evidence. There's video of the man literally begging for breath. The coroner ruled it as homicide. The fucking thing is medically considered homicide and yet "legally" state courts have decided it's not even worth the the time of a trial. Apparently the police are not only above the law but also above science and common sense reality.

They're both unforgivable tragedies and I can only hope this shit gets brought to the federal level, because at this point we've basically sent the message to all caucasian police officers that you can do whatever the fuck you want so long as the subject is black

And of course all white america cares about is how "rioting is destructive to small business owners"
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 12/04/2014 18:08
  • Post subject:
One of the things that has bothered my about this all the most is the huge financial gains Darren Wilson has gotten out of this. Something like $500K in donations and another $500K for that fucking interview. The man has basically been rewarded a million dollars for killing an unarmed black man. What the fuck is up with that?
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/04/2014 18:11
  • Post subject:
To be honest, I'm naturally suspicious of police in any case. There has been one situation in my whole life in which I have been thankful for the presence of police (holding back a rabid mob of Wolverhampton Wanderers fans after a football match in which we, the fiercest rivals, had absolutely battered them); usually, the presence of police puts me on edge entirely. I've seen a friend violently arrested for standing near a fight outside the pub, whilst they conveniently managed to ignore all of the actual culprits, and when I was fifteen I spent 20 hours in a police cell for possessing about a gram of weed. I've also been in an Asian friend's car when he was pulled over on suspicion of drug dealing - of course, they found nothing. I've seen friends mugged only feet away from police officers, who then proceeded to do nothing. I do not trust the police whatsoever. My dad tells stories of police officers singing fascist songs with West Ham supporters at football matches as late as the mid 1980s, and their treatment of anybody on the left in this country over the years has been atrocious. And yet our police force is still a dream compared to those in America. If I was a black man of my age growing up in any part of America, I'd be frightened for my life every time I saw a police officer - not only because of their actions, but because they are part of a system which routinely fails (willfully?) to right these wrongs or bring perpetrators to justice. It's frightening and infuriating.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/04/2014 18:20
  • Post subject:
Both cases are beyond ridiculous. There was more than enough conflicting evidence to at least indict Darren Wilson, probably for him to be judged guilty in a trial. Garner was literally filmed being killed, and yet that's not trial-worthy either apparently. Fucked up.
  • Visit poster's website
WindowAbove

United States

• Posted: 12/04/2014 19:33
  • Post subject:
Fuck the "justice" system and fuck America. I don't doubt that there are some officers who are generally concerned for their communities and would never kill someone who was not threatening to them, the fact is that the police system as a whole is unquestionably bigoted, discriminatory, and uncompassionate (not a word but fuck it). The court system is corrupt and shows just how far the country has fallen. I know that at least Mike Brown was probably a criminal and possibly tried to charge at the cops, but that's no reason to kill someone. Apparently, being black in America is unfortunately a crime in the system's eyes, and we need to look into these issues and work together for the country. I've been thinking a lot about moving to another country, and I think I will.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 12/04/2014 20:40
  • Post subject:
you have got to be fucking kidding me