Total Votes : 28

meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 12/07/2014 14:24
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
- Piero Scaruffi

I don't agree with this, other than the gist that guns may be more of a root problem than race, but it provided an alternative opinion and some good laughs, particularly when it gets to the Indians with high credit scores.

While attempting to read that convoluted mess, I was wondering why KKS had suddenly turned into a racist world traveler who's main source of news is Fox and Friends.

I kind of agree with the general idea that fear is a major factor in death, and if guns weren't so prevalent there wouldn't be so much fear. But that really fails to explain the Garner case or Trayvon Martin case, since both victims were approached without fear and didn't have guns. And maybe it's not fear of guns so much as fear of the black man.

Scaruffi's most offensive defense of cops may be in the Tamir Rice case, where Pierro blames the toy gun for the cop's actions of shooting first and asking questions later. And then he even generalizes young black men as the most violent category of people in the USA.

Scaruffi's politics are even worse than his music writing
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 12/07/2014 14:38
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:

Scaruffi's politics are even worse than his music writing

I wouldn't have thought it possible, but you may be right.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 12/07/2014 14:49
  • Post subject:
great, was making a huge post on this, but i got logged off before making it so now i have nothing. fuck fuck fuck.

anyway the gist was - things are more complex than they seem in most cases, media sucks and likes when it comes to extreme situations like looting and rioting because it brings them views and will support the extreme views on it (tumblr SJW for example) thus creating and supporting a vicious cycle but offer no solutions; cops work in dangerous and violent neighbourhoods (+ what Scaruffi also mentions about the sheer number of guns and gun culture in Merica) and get more trigger happy when it comes to young black males simply because this is the profile. Prejudice? Yes. Racism? Not necessarily. It is based on reality, but this reality of course is also supported by the system. Vicious cycle shit again. Also, Brown did in fact cause injuries to Wilson, which might have caused jury to make the decision and which might have influenced the prosecutors to make such an effort for a non-indictment.

But of course I still think Darren Wilson should be indicted based on number of shots fired alone, and Garner case is simply baffling. Wikipedia article on police related killings is scary. Whether it's just trigger happy cops acting like Cartman in that South Park episode where he gets to be a cop or actual racism at work; and whether the system support of the police is institutional racism or the fact that they believe protecting cops in general will make the neighbourhoods safer... it all creates a worrying picture.

And that's why I can't be playing a devil's advocate here, shit is fucked up in the US of A.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 12/07/2014 19:28
  • Post subject:
EDIT: Original post disappeared, poster wouldn't respond to my friends who know him when they asked why. Here's an article:

http://deadspin.com/santa-clara-police-...1667994556

This needs to go viral. Cops at the PAC-12 Championship in SF arrested this guy for going down the wrong path and asking why he couldn't, then trying to avoid them touching him. Several members of the Oregon band that I know confirmed that they guy did nothing wrong, he just took a wrong turn with his son and pulled away when they put hands on him. Cops pulled out a taser, tried to put him in a chokehold and started using that stick thing and started beating him. Guy just stood there and took it until they broke a wooden stick over his leg.

Best part is, during all of this, some of Oregon's band equipment went missing and is believed by some of the students to have been stolen while all the cops were busy handling this.

I know this is nowhere near as extreme as the other cases that have happened recently but this is the only footage of the thing and someone needs to get punished for this.

Feels like every day there's a new video of someone getting beaten for no reason.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make

Last edited by benpaco on 12/08/2014 06:39; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 12/07/2014 20:31
  • Post subject:
Yeah, unfortunately, the excessive media coverage is just going to make things worse. Citizens will give cops less respect and cops will feel less secure with their authority.

Although I agree that excessive force was used in the case benpaco linked, I have some sympathy for the security guards in that situation. Crowds are a very dangerous thing if you lose control of them. You just can't prevent security from physically redirecting you in a crowded place -- they don't always have time to stop and explain what they're doing to each individual member of the crowd. Struggling with them puts everybody in danger.

Of course, beating the guy also ran the risk of inciting the crowd, so that was a double boner.