Americans Answer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 12/27/2014 23:48
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
Yes, the culture of aspiration doesn't exist as much in schools in poor areas but it's definitely not true that the quality of teaching will have no impact on the quality of education that students receive at these schools.

I certainly didn't say that. Did somebody else?
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/27/2014 23:57
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
I certainly didn't say that. Did somebody else?

meccalecca wrote:
In theory this makes sense, but I agree with what Sp4cetiger was saying. Greater funding and even better teaching doesn't really always create better results in these areas. With so many problems at home, many of these kids are in such a poor environment that it's incredibly tough to do anything about it in school.

Almost, not that I'm picking a fight

Obviously it's not the schools' job to put right everything that has gone wrong and does go wrong in students lives outside of school because in reality they have very little power to, but definitely increased funding, better teaching and leadership can make a massive difference to what students can take from their time at a particular school and the government has a duty to serve kids from poorer backgrounds as well as it does those from richer ones in state schools
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 12/28/2014 00:00
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
Yes, the culture of aspiration doesn't exist as much in schools in poor areas but it's definitely not true that the quality of teaching will have no impact on the quality of education that students receive at these schools. Sounds like an excuse to do nothing which is pretty weak

I'm not saying it won't have any impact at all. Every case is different. Some kids are more receptive to good teaching than others. In some schools, it seems little can be done unless there are measures taken to improve the quality of life at home. And this is where I'd think the money would be better spent. How this is done is hard to say. First thing I can think of would be to tear apart the prison industrial system and decriminalizing/legalizing weed which leaves a lot of broken homes. Next step, improve funding towards mental health and therapy programs.

Also, what may be considered the best teachers may not be the best suited for rough inner city conditions. Not all great teachers have the thick skin needed to teach in the toughest urban environments.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 12/28/2014 00:03
  • Post subject:
I will however state that more money to poor school would help bring in extra teachers to reduce classroom size. Smaller classrooms generally do lead to a much better learning environment
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/28/2014 00:09
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
I'm not saying it won't have any impact at all. Every case is different. Some kids are more receptive to good teaching than others. In some schools, it seems little can be done unless there are measures taken to improve the quality of life at home. And this is where I'd think the money would be better spent. How this is done is hard to say. First thing I can think of would be to tear apart the prison industrial system and decriminalizing/legalizing weed which leaves a lot of broken homes. Next step, improve funding towards mental health and therapy programs.

Also, what may be considered the best teachers may not be the best suited for rough inner city conditions. Not all great teachers have the thick skin needed to teach in the toughest urban environments.

Yes, I don't mean it to sound like I think just throwing more money at rough schools will turn them around, just that funding that schools get should be related to the most important performance indicator of their intake, wealth. It would certainly make the system more equal. So many teachers start their careers at rough schools then get out as soon as possible to go somewhere nicer because the rewards aren't great enough.. so the poor schools get massive turnover of staff while the rich schools get their pick

Also yes, the issues that difficult students face should be tackled better, it isn't really schools' job to do this. So this is about tackling poverty and wealth inequality in general..
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 12/28/2014 00:33
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
Yes, I don't mean it to sound like I think just throwing more money at rough schools will turn them around, just that funding that schools get should be related to the most important performance indicator of their intake, wealth. It would certainly make the system more equal. So many teachers start their careers at rough schools then get out as soon as possible to go somewhere nicer because the rewards aren't great enough.. so the poor schools get massive turnover of staff while the rich schools get their pick

Agree with this. My point was only that the problem of education inequality is much more difficult and complex than it may seem on the surface. You can provide more opportunities to poor kids at school (and we should), but there's a limit to how much any government can provide truly equal opportunity to those with different family backgrounds.
Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

• Posted: 12/28/2014 22:34
  • Post subject:
More like Americans don't answer.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 12/29/2014 00:46
  • Post subject:
Muslim-Bigfoot wrote:
More like Americans don't answer.

I might be able to answer one of your questions to my satisfaction if I find a large enough block of free time in the next few days. No promises, though. Razz