Other (specify)
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes : 16

HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/18/2015 23:22
  • Post subject: UK General Election 2015
Obviously it's really exciting this year since nobody has any clue what government will look like in a few months. Like it could be a mix of Cons/UKIP/DUP or Labour/LibDem/Greens so it's serious stuff!

Labour and cons both have no hope of a majority but it's looking more and more likely that they're going to be so far off that they might need a three or even four party coalition which is mental

Current election forecast
http://www.electionforecast.co.uk/

I think a Labour+LibDem+SNP coalition is very possible but what price for a coalition with Alex Salmond Confused Just imagine how awkward it would be to be in government with snp

I'm going to vote green I think, though I'm registered in a safe libdem seat, which do still exist! so it won't matter anyway. Greens will probably hold their Brighton seat and they're hoping to do well in Bristol west and a couple other constituencies but I think one seat will be it. That link has the South West with the highest proportion of libdem and green voters which is pretty cool, but the region looks very blue still..

Who are you voting for and what do you think government will look like after the election?
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/19/2015 00:23
  • Post subject:
I'm also voting Green, not that it matters cos mines a safe Labour seat.

I'm not really sure about how Gov will look afterwards, Labour might pull slightly more than the Conservatives, but I also doubt they'll get majority. In that case they may have to work out a supply deal with the SNP - a coalition would be toxic for the SNP, it'd totally destroy their image as a party distinct from the "establishment". I'm not sure about a Lib Dem alliance, if there's no other option they might have to go for it.

If the Tories get more than Labour then things get even more confusing - even with the DUP and UKIP supporting them it might not be enough, and yet I don't think they could form another coalition with the Lib Dems seeing as how it's falling apart even now. Another 4 years like that could kill the Liberals as a party.

Very interesting times ahead of us, that's for sure.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 03/29/2015 14:55
  • Post subject:
It's getting exciting now Smile Very almost there.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 03/29/2015 15:06
  • Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2015
HigherThanTheSun wrote:

Current election forecast
http://www.electionforecast.co.uk/

I don't know what this SNP is, but they look very strong up North. Incredible.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 03/29/2015 15:09
  • Post subject:
They are Scottish people who want Scotland to be seperate from the UK.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 03/29/2015 15:18
  • Post subject:
Kiki wrote:
They are Scottish people who want Scotland to be seperate from the UK.

(I knew)
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 03/29/2015 15:29
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
(I knew)

Fair enough Razz

So people voting, are you voting based on what the party can give you or what they can give the country as a whole? Like I think read on Cracked how people may tend to vote based on their own problems rather than looking at the bigger picture. It is a very understandable mindset though.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 03/29/2015 16:51
  • Post subject:
Kiki wrote:
Fair enough Razz

So people voting, are you voting based on what the party can give you or what they can give the country as a whole? Like I think read on Cracked how people may tend to vote based on their own problems rather than looking at the bigger picture. It is a very understandable mindset though.

It's the only logical mindset. There are no 'national elections' strictly speaking like in the US, we only vote for our local MPs, so it's much more important to vote based on which candidate can help you and your local area than what they can bring to Westminster, which is more than often very little.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/29/2015 17:46
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
It's the only logical mindset. There are no 'national elections' strictly speaking like in the US, we only vote for our local MPs, so it's much more important to vote based on which candidate can help you and your local area than what they can bring to Westminster, which is more than often very little.

Confused

You have a council to look after your local area, MPs actually have very little (no?) legislative power to do anything locally. General elections are very much about voting for which party you want to run the country. Most MPs won't do anything spectacular at westminster but point is they're there to vote hence they decide what parties are in government and who is running the country. It's shitty because you're supposed to be voting for individual candidates to represent your constituency but party politics means you're actually voting for Ed Miliband or David Cameron

On how to choose who to vote for I think what's good for me and what's good for the country are pretty much the same thing. Like yeah people might selfishly vote for whichever party will benefit them financially or something like that but on less personal issues there really is no difference between what is good for me or for the country
Kiki

• Posted: 03/29/2015 17:52
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
On how to choose who to vote for I think what's good for me and what's good for the country are pretty much the same thing. Like yeah people might selfishly vote for whichever party will benefit them financially or something like that but on less personal issues there really is no difference between what is good for me or for the country

Very good Smile It's all about choice at the end of the day.