• Posted: 06/07/2015 23:45
  • Post subject: The LGBTQ Thread

Lesbian
Gay
Bisexual
Transgender
Queer or Questioning

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I made this thread in light of the gender identity thread which turned out to be a bit of a shambles. Instead of focusing on one topic, though, this thread is open to celebrating all things LGBTQ. And can we please not make this about other users, thank you?

This thread was intended to share positive vibes, and to celebrate the LGBTQ community as a whole. If there is a negative opinion you disagree with, just don't bother, as we see all it leads to is creating pages upon pages of arguing about the user, thus derailing the thread, and bringing nothing but negativity to it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't know if all users would be comfortable with this, but if you are then feel free to reply and I'll add you to this list:

SuedeSwede - Queer (agender)
Revolution909 - Gay, Queer (agender/aromantic/asexual)

Last edited by SuedeSwede on 06/08/2015 17:00; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/08/2015 00:18
  • Post subject:
Well, I guess I should get this boat kicking. As part of sharing positive vibes, I think it would be good (if a user feels comfortable to, of course) to share your own experiences.

Only recently did I start to question my gender. With time, it's sort of become a sub-conscious thing for me that I don't have a gender, or at least don't want one. But I think it was less than a month ago I first started looking into it consciously, considering how I'd actually identify myself as, by this point, I knew I wasn't cisgender. In this short time though I've come to accept myself as just having no gender, i.e. agender. And I think because of realising this, I'm significantly more at rest with myself. I always felt somewhat confused as to who I was, and it's kinda put my mind at ease.

As for another thing, I wouldn't really even say I'm questioning for this aspect, though I know it's at least a /thing/. I wouldn't say I've had enough experience to tell though, I have been attracted to males, and I could see myself being attracted to any gender. But, really, it's not even anything I'm questioning at the moment, as it is only attraction and I'm not interested in romantic relationships with any sex but female. But pansexuality is definitely a possibility. Though, at this point in my life, I'm pretty much heterosexual. That story didn't really need to be told, I guess, just felt like sharing it.

I'd like others to feel open to sharing their experiences if they'd like to, too.
Kiki

• Posted: 06/08/2015 00:47
  • Post subject:
Like is it a new thing for Queer to be seen as a positive word? Because growing up it seemed like it just meant gay unless it was in Victorian novels where it just meant strange or odd.

I mean I am quite a few years older than you so perhaps I am out of touch already Shocked Then again there are users who are more older than you are to me.
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/08/2015 00:51
  • Post subject:
Kiki wrote:
Like is it a new thing for Queer to be seen as a positive word? Because growing up it seemed like it just meant gay unless it was in Victorian novels where it just meant strange or odd.

I mean I am quite a few years older than you so perhaps I am out of touch already Shocked Then again there are users who are more older than you are to me.

Yeah, queer is still a pejorative. But in this case, it's used to just be an umbrella term for "non-heterosexual or non-cisgender". Since there are other categories that fall into this besides homosexuality, bisexuality, and transgender (see: pansexuality, genderfluid, agender, etc), the Q is added as a blanket term for other forms of "queerness".
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/08/2015 02:13
  • Post subject:
A bit late, but it's the 61st anniversary of the death of Alan Turing, a scientist, mathematician, and logician who was sentenced to hormonal treatment to reduce libido due to his homosexuality in 1952. He committed suicide on this day in 1954. It's a tragic shame that social inequality like this existed, but the silver lining is that in 61 years, society's views on non-heterosexuality has become tons more liberal.

Rest in peace Alan Turing.
Saoirse

• Posted: 06/08/2015 05:25
  • Post subject:
Will add more later, obviously there are far more identified under the now-umbrella term "Queer" than just LGBT, but too sleepy will do more soon.
Revolution909

Ireland

• Posted: 06/08/2015 15:35
  • Post subject:
How do people feel about the LGBT(Q) acronym? Not SuedeSwede's usage but the acronym generally.

On one hand, I find it jarring that two concepts, sexuality (represented by the LGB) and gender (represented by T) are grouped together as one. Might this add to the confusion experienced by the uninitiated when it comes to defining these terms. Is it fair that, with all the talk of sexuality, marriage equality and same-sex parenting, that the T in the equation gets forgotten. When people say the support LGBTQ rights, to what extent are they solely talking about the sexuality aspects and not the gender aspects?

On another hand, do trans rights and issues benefit purely from exposure to the massive attention that has been focused on gay rights? Perhaps its good that two such minorities team up to better themselves and each other?

Top 100 Music Albums of the 2010s

Last edited by Revolution909 on 06/08/2015 15:40; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/08/2015 15:37
  • Post subject:
It's amazing and humbling to witness the open mindedness and accepting nature of our younger members. I believe this is the effect of growing up in a time where acceptance of the LGBTQ lifestyle has finally become the norm. And future generations will be even more accepting and in touch with their own sexualities.

Directly following college, I was living in a crappy loft apt in the dangerous section of the South Bronx, NYC, desperately seeking work. The publisher of a now defunct gay men's lifestyle magazine saw my name (Jonny Leather) on a design portfolio site and thought it was hot, so he called me in for an interview and I was hired on a temporary basis. That temporary job lasted a couple years. I was the straight guy amongst an office of gay men and that experience really shaped me. This job was my favorite job of any I've ever had. I loved my co-workers like family and they opened my eyes to a world I never really knew.
  • Visit poster's website
Revolution909

Ireland

• Posted: 06/08/2015 15:38
  • Post subject:
On a personal note, I'm gay, agender, quite aromantic and a bit asexual. (Triple A Laughing )

Perhaps being gay AND asexual sounds contradictory, but it works for me.

• Visit poster's website
Revolution909

Ireland

• Posted: 06/08/2015 15:40
  • Post subject:
SuedeSwede wrote:
A bit late, but it's the 61st anniversary of the death of Alan Turing, a scientist, mathematician, and logician who was sentenced to hormonal treatment to reduce libido due to his homosexuality in 1952. He committed suicide on this day in 1954. It's a tragic shame that social inequality like this existed, but the silver lining is that in 61 years, society's views on non-heterosexuality has become tons more liberal.

Rest in peace Alan Turing.

A story I really should be more familiar with. Is the Imitation Game a good entry point? Smile

• Visit poster's website