Listening habits

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Satie

• Posted: 08/26/2015 16:04
  • Post subject:
I plan to get started on a hi-fidelity stereo system in the next few months as money comes in a bit more, and I'll be purchasing my absolute favorites on CD (vinyl seems costly and inferior in the sound quality department to my ears), but my favorites tend to be digital-only releases or limited physical runs that I'm anywhere from a year to thirty late to. I imagine my CD collection (well, updated CD collection - I have lots of stuff from high school when I was paranoid about pirating) will be a lot of rock and electronic and a few classical and jazz box sets to start out with.
Precedent

• Posted: 08/26/2015 18:11
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I tend to prefer CDs to Vinyl because I am never really at home to listen to them. That being said, I still collect for the visual aspect of it.
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 08/26/2015 18:21
  • Post subject:
I go careless nun style, once I get a habit I break it.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/26/2015 19:01
  • Post subject:
Because of the BYT, my listening recently has had a very set structure. 4 albums over three days, each getting one listen a day (I can only rate something after 3 listens) taken from the years that are left (I select these from a list drawn up by looking at the users charts/ratings for that year). Gonna relax it a bit tho and check out some stuff from outside those years I want to check out as well.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/26/2015 19:07
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:
(vinyl seems costly and inferior in the sound quality department to my ears)

Costly, yes, that's for sure, but inferior not so much. I think cds and vinyl are just different. I find vinyl to be warmer than cds. I also find that they're a bit more durable. loads of my cds got scratches over the years. But my love of vinyl also has loads to do with the visual element.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 08/26/2015 23:53
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
but inferior not so much

again, to my ears. i don't get the sense of warmth that is so widely rumored to be dramatically apparent with vinyl records, and the mechanical sounds that end up getting reproduced to some small extent, even on high-end systems like the one i use at work, tend to irritate me. i also think the contemporary trend of backwards adapting digitally produced audio files onto an analog format makes for very odd-sounding vinyl records. that's based on an incredibly small sample, though, because work never gets new albums on vinyl, and the friends I have who purchase new vinyl tend to not play the stuff for me in focused listening session settings, but rather social settings where I'm not evaluating the sound quality. there's just a gimmickry to it that i can sense about as intangibly as people who were raised on vinyl seem to sense warmth. to your other point, I can see CDs getting scratched if you use them in the car a lot or aren't careful with handling (and can concede that the physical and aesthetic weight of vinyl makes it where you tend to treat it a bit more nicely than flimsy plastic discs that appear in virtually all areas of life for various disposable reasons), but maintaining a CD collection is as easy as having a small rag and some cleaner that you'll use only when you accidentally smudge something - no need for laborious technique or those expensive vacuum things. again, i think it's all up to personal preference and totally understand the appeal of vinyl (the visual element is definitely somewhere where it unequivocally beats CDs). i just don't really experience the marginal benefits people tend to claim as the reason for investing sometimes as much as three to five times the amount they would for a CD copy. not to mention that the inflated cost of the hardware to play and maintain vinyl (and to maintain that hardware itself) is very unappealing. if i could, i'd keep everything as lossless audio files, honestly, since i don't even care about the glitz and glamour of a physical collection, but it seems more trouble than it's worth to have part of my sound system purchases include new computer parts and adapters, and the labor of re-acquiring everything I like in FLAC or something seems like it would quickly turn me off the idea.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 08/27/2015 00:32
  • Post subject:
Spotify usually does the job for me. Good enough quality. I don't really notice the difference in quality once you go beyond 320kbps, even with higher-end headphones. I collect both CD's and vinyl, although I do find it easier to concentrate on the music by burning the CD onto the computer and listening with headphones in than vinyl and speakers, regardless of the quality. Can't figure out why. I normally buy albums on vinyl if it hits my "Greatest" chart, but sometimes beautiful packaging/coloring can be enough of a motive.
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 08/27/2015 12:25
  • Post subject:
I've grown to collect vinyl over the past few years, for a number of reasons I guess, the major one surprisingly being price, maybe's it's just here in Cork but second hand vinyl has actually become easier to come by than second hand CDs (and shops are selling new CDs at the same price as new vinyl which is crazy...), a few years back I exclusively bought CDs, but now I can pick up some decent vinyl with a bit of looking for under a tenner and sometimes as low as a euro or two. I do get the occasional CD though if the price is right.

• Visit poster's website
Coconut

United States

• Posted: 02/02/2016 00:10
  • Post subject: Listening habits
I listen to about 50% new & 50% from my personal collection. I use my local public library to check out the new stuff or older music I haven't heard before. If I like something I really like I may purchase it for myself. I also have a vinyl collection and do buy records when I find them at a good price and they're in good condition.
  • Visit poster's website
Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 02/02/2016 00:20
  • Post subject:
75% digital
20 % cds in the car
5% vinyl
  • Visit poster's website