Album Discussion Party

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Rhett

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2016 14:46
  • Post subject:
Tales of Us is in my top list at #27. Can't wait to see what they come up with next.

I have some other gems in my list that are ranked even lower on BEA. "Nilsson Sings Newman", Magnetic Fields "i", and Sun Kil Moon's "Tiny Cities."

As for Goldfrapp, they aren't a band I expected to like, and every one of their albums required multiple listens before I liked it.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2016 17:31
  • Post subject:
Lowkey wrote:
ok comp or bust

I'm afraid to get more users involved, I think the first ADP should be something popular and easy to discuss. If the first ADP is something only 6 users have heard of, it will come off as pretentious and afterward only the same 6 users will participate in subsequent ADPs. And they'll probably get tired of it after a while.

I also think instead of fine-tuning organization, voting, and format, somebody should start one already, and let it evolve from there.
  • Visit poster's website
Rhett

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2016 19:31
  • Post subject:
How would the discussion be any different than the ad hoc discussions that happen in the album comments? Or album of the day?
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 08/15/2016 19:36
  • Post subject:
Rhett wrote:
How would the discussion be any different than the ad hoc discussions that happen in the album comments? Or album of the day?

it'd be albums we aren't all fucking sick of talking about
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2016 04:53
  • Post subject:
Rhett wrote:

I have never had an in depth discussion dedicated to an album on this site. I've voiced my opinion and some have agreed or disagreed, but very little back and forth discussion about an album. The point of this would to try and get rid of - dis album dope/yup responses, but to discuss and ask questions, about every facet of an album.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2016 05:09
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I'm afraid to get more users involved, I think the first ADP should be something popular and easy to discuss. If the first ADP is something only 6 users have heard of, it will come off as pretentious and afterward only the same 6 users will participate in subsequent ADPs. And they'll probably get tired of it after a while.

I also think instead of fine-tuning organization, voting, and format, somebody should start one already, and let it evolve from there.

True... so what's your vote? hahaha?

Idk... we are trying this out and I actually thought that... just start making a thread for each top 100 BEA albums... but eh... I'm curious what the voting system does and I just listened to the top 100 for each decade from about Jan. to July... I'm totally ready for new stuff.

But I do totally agree that stuff possibly dies out because nobody cares about a debut album from a solo artist from Tampa FL who released this record in 2008 but hasn't done anything since.... BUT IT'S AMAZING (according to a few). I mean I like records like that too... idk... there's got to be a balance and democratic systems sometimes help with that.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2016 05:10
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:

I agree with this not only for my own selfish reasons, but because I think part of the reason why the ALC dies out is that it is focused only on 2016 albums instead of all albums.

But also totally get the points of views made by some of the more seasoned users who really have talked about Sgt. Peppers until they are blue in the face and they don't find that interesting anymore. I totally respect and get that, so I think to have a good community, we need to do both where applicable.

I'll probably vote for Skinny's album because it actually basically is a BEA top 100 album (118th) and am very interested in his insights on it.

But neither should we shun less known albums... what's important is that people truly discuss back and forth... not just stating opinions and running away, but trying to understand other people's opinions too.

I think a lot of people are tired of "dis album dope"... that's like 29819846518498 times in the forums, but a real discussion about the historical, cultural, political, aspect of an album or the music theory behind an album or the production methods behind an album (well known or not)... eh... I'd be really interested to find something posted in the last six months (if ever) that truly has more than just one sentence dedicated to those types of ideas. What I do see a lot on BEA is the personal comments on people's charts and I'd love to see that more and I'd love to see those shared all in one place in a thread.

I come here cause I think there's some cool people on this site and I'd love to hear about their honest opinions on these things and learn/grow from them.

By the way, so far we have:

1. Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) by Wu-Tang Clan
2. Children At Play by Max Tundra
3. (Although I think this was a joke) OK Computer by Radiohead
4. Tales Of Us by Goldfrapp
5. Nilsson Sings Newman by Harry Nilsson
6. i by The Magnetic Fields
7. Tiny Cities by Sun Kil Moon
8. Here's Little Richard by Little Richard

(the last one is mine... hehe)

So now what I'll try doing is doing a vote thread on these albums and see where it gets us. Keep in mind you can suggest albums again... and if this turns too crazy (sometimes chaos is all we need for something awesome to develop) we can always try a different system (go back to the drawing board as Skinny said it).
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2016 05:16
  • Post subject:
oh I don't think there'll be strong interest on the max tundra, not good for number 2 slot I'd say take it off for now. edit: oh I see there's going to be voting, that should take care of itself then
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2016 05:21
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Just stickied this.

I think we need to organize this a bit, figure out how we want to do this. Do we want to have people nominate albums (say, maybe a total of 10) and then have everyone vote on which one they want to talk about? Or do we wanna do this similar to the ALC, where people sign up for a week and post whatever album they want?

Either way, I'd say if we wanna start with 36 Chambers (and I'm totally down for that), we should make a separate thread for it.

Honestly, I don't care as long as there is discussion.

But I do like this system so far (even if a bit chaotic). I'm hoping the chaos actually gets people more involved, but if not... I'm totally cool with the ALC format. That's a great format.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2016 05:22
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
oh I don't think there'll be strong interest on the max tundra, not good for number 2 slot I'd say take it off for now. edit: oh I see there's going to be voting, that should take care of itself then

Laughing Laughing

Well... honestly I think the next thing is thinking about how long we keep things as nominated... I think if 2 people vote for something we keep it on the docket until it's voted off or idk... just rambling ideas on how to keep something nominated but also properly move on if there's truly no interest.
  • Visit poster's website