Atheists

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Happymeal

• Posted: 11/05/2012 19:16
  • Post subject: Atheists
Hello everybody. This topic is about atheists as you can see from the title. Anyways, I always see atheists criticize religions for certain things and that's understandable, but not many people(if anyone) have criticized atheists with an argument that makes perfect sense. The things that I have against atheists is that they are huge hypocrites. This applies to most atheists I know and have seen make videos on youtube and etc. They always talk about how they hate how religion preaches to the world and etc., but talking about how religion is bullshit is preaching atheism as much as religion preaches what they believe in. The second thing is that most atheists that I have seen and heard talk about religion criticize how much a religious person believes in something that "doesn't exist" and has blind faith in it, but doesn't it take as much faith to not believe in something as it takes that amount of faith to believe in it? The third thing I have against atheists I know and what not is this. They always criticize the radicals of a religion and bunch everyone else in with the radicals. Anyways, that's about it. Before you start criticizing me or my religious beliefs, let me just say that I am an agnostic(basically), but I am also a mormon and a pastafarian, this might be a bit confusing, but there are other reasons to be part of a religion other than believing in what they believe. Anyways I criticize atheist not because of their beliefs, but because a lot of them I know are hypocrites. Anyways, reply with thoughts on my criticism, thoughts about atheists, and maybe you might inform about these criticisms about atheists. I'm open minded as long as you don't make your post aggressive.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/05/2012 19:58
  • Post subject:
I'm an atheist. I never preach. Live and let live.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/05/2012 20:04
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
Wombi

• Posted: 11/05/2012 20:19
  • Post subject:
Like any religion (and yes, to an extent, Atheism has become a religion) there are in your face Atheists and 'passive' Atheists (just as there are in your face Muslims and 'passive' Muslims etc). But I do agree with you: the loud-mouthed, self righteous, Dawkins-worshipping, pompous ones are some of the most disgusting human beings around. But just as it goes with all religions; The obnoxious minority don't represent the better and quieter Majority.
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 11/05/2012 20:22
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:

This.

Also, there are idiots everywhere, regardless of religion.
  • Visit poster's website
thejoj96

• Posted: 11/05/2012 20:59
  • Post subject: Re: Atheists
Happymeal wrote:
bunch everyone else in with the radicals

And YOU are bunching all atheists in with the "the loud-mouthed, self righteous, Dawkins-worshipping, pompous ones".
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/05/2012 21:40
  • Post subject:
The God Delusion is actually an awesome book, dawkins just comes off as a bit of a twat.

anyway, i'd like to think i'm one of the quieter ones. Being extremsit about any religion (or lack thereof) makes you annoying.
  • Visit poster's website
aiwe

• Posted: 11/05/2012 21:54
  • Post subject:
I don't think being an atheist, an agnostic or a member of whatever religion or spirituality makes you necessarily a certain type of person. I am an atheist, but I would never preach that to someone who I know is religious.
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 11/05/2012 21:56
  • Post subject:

Religion for Atheists - Alain de Botton

An interesting book for atheists, agnostics, and the religious alike to read. Basically, it looks at the value of religion if you take the whole 'belief in God' thing out of it. It would change the whole flavour of the pointless worldwide religious debate.
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 11/05/2012 22:00
  • Post subject: Re: Atheists
Happymeal wrote:
pastafarian

I don't understand this. How can you be part of a religion whose sole purpose is to ridicule all religion?
  • Visit poster's website