Controversial Music Opinions On BEA!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 312, 313, 314 ... 405, 406, 407  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 02/19/2017 00:30
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Harvest is musical bliss. Anybody who thinks it doesn't have any good songs or is "ruined" can go fuck off.

I never thought it didn't have good songs on it. Just the orchestral parts bring it down a bit, otherwise its among his best work.

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
kickerofelves

Ireland

• Posted: 02/19/2017 01:54
  • Post subject:
indieshins wrote:
Mine:
Elvis Costello's later work is almost as good as his early stuff, albeit in a very different way

Where's the cutoff, which albums would you file under 'later work'?
I always though Spike was one of his strongest and I really enjoy parts of Mighty Like a Rose and Brutal Youth but I couldn't get much farther than that. He starts getting more and more into pastiche which doesn't do a lot for me.
  • Visit poster's website
LordMark

Canada

• Posted: 02/19/2017 02:08
  • Post subject:
1) 13 = Modern Life Is Rubbish >> Parklife

2) "A Day In The Life" is great, but the best song of all time? I don't even think it's the best song on Sgt. Pepper, and it's certainly not among my 25 favourite Beatles songs.
  • Visit poster's website
indieshins

Australia

• Posted: 02/19/2017 04:09
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Harvest is an incredible album (outside of the annoying sweeping melodrama of A man needs a maid or whatever). The opening track has a great cold intensity i love. Heart of Gold is a classic. Old Man is a downright heartbreaking song that nails a connection between father and son. The Needle and the damage done is brilliant, the title track is gorgeous. It's a 9/10 album. Y'all are smoking crack or something.

This is nicely written. I'll have to give it another shot based on this.
  • Visit poster's website
indieshins

Australia

• Posted: 02/19/2017 04:12
  • Post subject:
kickerofelves wrote:
indieshins wrote:
Mine:
Elvis Costello's later work is almost as good as his early stuff, albeit in a very different way

Where's the cutoff, which albums would you file under 'later work'?
I always though Spike was one of his strongest and I really enjoy parts of Mighty Like a Rose and Brutal Youth but I couldn't get much farther than that. He starts getting more and more into pastiche which doesn't do a lot for me.

I suppose post-Imperial Bedroom. That seems to be where most people think he got patchier. I love Spike, and a lot of the songs off the other two. I haven't had a lot of time to really explore much of his stuff (because I don't own it), but I really liked the Bacharach collab and When I Was Cruel particularly. I haven't gotten further than that, but it's mostly hits for me.
  • Visit poster's website
indieshins

Australia

• Posted: 02/19/2017 04:15
  • Post subject:
babyBlueSedan wrote:
Here's one that I've been championing for awhile: there is no filler on 69 Love Songs. By which I mean, though there are some obviously worse songs on the album, what makes the album great is just how expansive and varied it is. And if you cut it down to an hour long album I definitely wouldn't like it as much. And as far as best songs on the album go, I Shatter is top 15.
\

Completely agree. It's kind of like the White Album in that respect. One of my absolute favourite albums!
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 02/19/2017 09:17
  • Post subject:
Here's my unique one: I do not get why be people talk so damn high of Grimes & Vampire Weekend! Ok Boucher I get it, you write like some catchy cyborg pop songs, sure but why with the high ratings?! And Vampire Weekend, what's their deal? The point of their stuff is totally lost on me. I don't why I finished both of their catalogs, to be brutally honest.

Now I'll stop with the Seinfeld persona.

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 02/19/2017 14:06
  • Post subject:
Part Two: Wolf Parade may have the better album (with Apologies To The Queen Mary) but Spencer Krug's side-project, Sunset Rubdown is the better band. All of their albums are brilliant and above 85/100.

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2017 03:22
  • Post subject:
Komorebi-D wrote:
Here's my unique one: I do not get why be people talk so damn high of Grimes & Vampire Weekend! Ok Boucher I get it, you write like some catchy cyborg pop songs, sure but why with the high ratings?! And Vampire Weekend, what's their deal? The point of their stuff is totally lost on me. I don't why I finished both of their catalogs, to be brutally honest.

Now I'll stop with the Seinfeld persona.

haha - Grimes I haven't really spent much time with, but with Vampire Weekend I think for me at least it is the arrangements (I think they a different/unique enough to be interesting), the overall upbeatness of it (but for me isn't cheese), and the lyrics can be interesting. I do think, however, they are a classic I listened to this in college group... not a THIS IS THE GREATEST ARTIST TO HAVE EVER LIVED vibe from me. Idk... still totally think they are worth it (their debut and the one with NYC on the cover are rarely a boring listen.

But hey, I hate Van Halen, so there. I feel like his guitar playing is just masturbation.
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 02/20/2017 05:24
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Vampire Weekend I think for me at least it is the arrangements (I think they a different/unique enough to be interesting), the overall upbeatness of it (but for me isn't cheese), and the lyrics can be interesting. I do think, however, they are a classic I listened to this in college group... not a THIS IS THE GREATEST ARTIST TO HAVE EVER LIVED vibe from me. Idk... still totally think they are worth it (their debut and the one with NYC on the cover are rarely a boring listen.

But hey, I hate Van Halen, so there. I feel like his guitar playing is just masturbation.

First off, I totally agree with you on that last part.

Second, Ok... I'll be honest: I see their appeal as a college band (being Ivy League alumni and all). And I get that they have rather intricate & endearing arrangements, different to the way Grizzly Bear do though (they were on my Seinfeld shortlist up until recently). Also, their debut is the only one I can actively get somewhat into. I feel it's all just still lost on me though.

I guess I'll give Modern Vampires yet another chance. You'd think 3 listens was enough to resonate (Hannah Hunt, Step & Diane Young are pretty good tracks, I won't lie).

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website