View previous topic :: View next topic
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 06/07/2013 02:21
  • Post subject:
SamuelPear wrote:
I didn't exactly follow all the conversation but my point is quite simple:

Since, marriage is a religious word to designate an union, and Religion and Government are separated, I think the civil union should be called marriage. That word belongs to religious unions. What we call marriage should be called "civil union". So anyone has the right to be with whom ever he/she loves through a civil union. I support Same Sex "marriage" or I should say Civi Union.

As I scrolled down to see some post, Robert Anton Wilson said pretty much the same thing so, I'm not the only one to think like that.

A little late in responding, but...marriage is not a religious word nor an institution that in any way needs to be governed by any religious group. Sure, for hundreds of years churches have out of tradition administered wedding ceremonies, but the history of marriage is separate from that of religion, and if we consider the christian religion (which is the institution trying to claim special rights to marriage) it has a far shorter history than marriage. We might as well claim that funeral is a religious word and deny atheists a burial. Oh wait, we used to do that too.

Also, thanks Itsit. Bork, while not gay himself, is a strong and outspoken supporter of equal rights regardless of gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religious conviction (or lack thereof), political leanings and what have you. The gay marriage debate, as our own house homersecschal mentioned, is all about equal legal protection for individuals. Reading stories about gay men and women who don't even get a say in their partners funeral preparations after having spent a lifetime together is saddening.

EDIT: Correction. Equal legal protection is not ALL the gay marriage debate is about. There are other points to it as well, but in the end that is the most important one.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/07/2013 13:25
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
A little late in responding, but...marriage is not a religious word nor an institution that in any way needs to be governed by any religious group. Sure, for hundreds of years churches have out of tradition administered wedding ceremonies, but the history of marriage is separate from that of religion, and if we consider the christian religion (which is the institution trying to claim special rights to marriage) it has a far shorter history than marriage. We might as well claim that funeral is a religious word and deny atheists a burial. Oh wait, we used to do that too.

Also, thanks Itsit. Bork, while not gay himself, is a strong and outspoken supporter of equal rights regardless of gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religious conviction (or lack thereof), political leanings and what have you. The gay marriage debate, as our own house homersecschal mentioned, is all about equal legal protection for individuals. Reading stories about gay men and women who don't even get a say in their partners funeral preparations after having spent a lifetime together is saddening.

EDIT: Correction. Equal legal protection is not ALL the gay marriage debate is about. There are other points to it as well, but in the end that is the most important one.

You perfectly said everything I was thinking.

The opponents of gay marriage are simply homophobic. The act of a gay couple marrying has no negative effects on hetero marriage. If Larry King is allowed to get married 8 times, then a gay couple should be allowed to married a least once.
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/07/2013 13:47
  • Post subject:
This was on QT last week when they were discussing the vote in the Lords. Ian Paisley Jr tells Peter Tatchell that he's not discriminating because of course Peter Tatchell can get married, it just has to be with a woman Rolling Eyes This was right after Dimbleby quoted him saying that he is "pretty repulsed by gay and lesbianism".

Link

"Don't bulldoze me in the Paisley manner" from Dimbleby cracked me up though. Paisley Jr is a special kind of cunt.
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 06/07/2013 13:51
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
of course Peter Tatchell can get married, it just has to be with a woman Rolling Eyes

Haha, it's the same in France xD

A woman named Christine Boutin, who is openly against gay marriage, said the exact same thing : "Of course homosexuals can marry, but with a person with an opposite gender." She's a cunt, too.
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/07/2013 13:54
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
She's a cunt, too.

Haha yeah, sounds like it Laughing

• Posted: 06/07/2013 14:02
  • Post subject:
Does anyone know when the Supreme Court decisions on DOMA and Prop 8 are happening? It is supposed to be in June, correct?
ptaylor1989

United States

• Posted: 06/08/2013 16:46
  • Post subject:
CDQ wrote:
Does anyone know when the Supreme Court decisions on DOMA and Prop 8 are happening? It is supposed to be in June, correct?

The end of the US federal supreme court session is at the end of June. We should expect some sort of ruling any Monday of this month. It's a burden of a decision for the judges and people involved. I hope the supreme court uses every available moment to consider the best route to equality.