Beatles Remastered

View previous topic :: View next topic
AngryAchilles

• Posted: 09/12/2009 00:30
  • Post subject: Beatles Remastered
You knew this was coming...

If any of you audiophiles have bought the new Beatles releases, could you give your opinion on the remastering job? Most of the professional reviews I've read have focused on the Beatles' legacy rather than the new sound.

I have neither the refined ear nor the money to buy them unless they sound significantly better than what I already own. That said, if they really do sound betterbetter, I'll get them.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 09/12/2009 01:50
  • Post subject:
Rolling Stone's review of The Beatles: Stereo Box Set gives it 5 of 5 Stars. It says this:
"An enormous effort was made to stay true to the original mixes, so there aren't going to be any easy revelations for Beatles fans. Instead, these albums sound deeper, richer and fleshed-out. The buoyancy of "Something" becomes more comprehensible when you hear clearly Paul McCartney's nimble bass line. You knew that "Twist and Shout" featured one of John Lennon's most visceral performances, but here you can feel his vocal cords shred. The horns on "Good Morning Good Morning" roar, driving the song in a way you may not have noticed before. Lennon and George Harrison's guitars on "You Can't Do That" sharpen to a gleaming edge."
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 09/12/2009 05:37
  • Post subject: Re: Beatles Remastered
AngryAchilles wrote:

I have neither the refined ear nor the money to buy them unless they sound significantly better than what I already own. That said, if they really do sound betterbetter, I'll get them.

Nor the refined research/reading capability to see that this thread already existed. I know because I was the one who started it less than a week ago.

But to answer your query, I bought The remastered White Album and Past Masters and it's like night and day. You can really hear the bass and drums now, and there are a lot of little nuances that were previously buried in the mixes.
  • Visit poster's website