Beatles "throw away singles"

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
ffudnebbuh
level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/02/2009 16:28
  • Post subject: Beatles "throw away singles"
I have always wondered how I would have inserted all of the Beatles throw away singles on their albums. We can only wonder how many more albums the Beatles would have sold if their music had been marketed better and all of the singles that were released on as 45's had been included on albums...and which albums they should have been put on...I think that this is a good topic for conversation and would like to hear everyone's suggestion.

I would include Side 2 of "magical mystery tour" (Hello goodbye, strawberry fields, etc.) as part of the list of throw away singles(hey jude, revolution, etc), since they really were put on as 'filler' since the album came out so long after these singles were released. Maybe this topic has already been covered on this website, but I thought I would throw it out there...
  • Visit poster's website
NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/02/2009 17:57
  • Post subject:
Bing quite a knowledgeable Beatle fan, I find this topic fascinating.

For me, people may call songs of the beatles throwaways, but I feel they are not at all - especially Hello, Goodbye and Strawberry Fields - no such songs as sophisticated as these can be throwaways?

And as for Hey Jude and Revolution, for me also, none of these are throwaways as Lennon mentiond that Revolution was a anti - war song and desired for it to be an A - Side.

However, if songs must be throwaways then a few beatle ones for me are ones such as I Call Your Name, What Goes On (originally written in 1963).

#1-#100 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3641

#101-#200 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=49444

Check Me Out! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
ffudnebbuh
level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/02/2009 18:02
  • Post subject:
By throwaways, I didn't mean that they weren't great songs, I meant that the label, George Martin and I guess Paul or John decided to release them as singles only and didn't included them as part of a new album, the way that singles were usually done....Of course, they are fantastic songs...I keep forgetting that many of the people on this site are probably too young to know why singles were released which was usually to promote a new album and they were featured prominently on that album.

So by releasing a 45 such as "penny lane/strawberry" by itself, and not on an album at the same time, they would sometimes be called throwaway singles, although the Beatles were the only group to do this. They were the envy of every other group. Nobody ever does this.

Most people thought that Hey jude/revolution were going to be on the White album or penny lane/strawberry fields would be on Sgt. Pepper...but you could only buy them as 45s at that time.
  • Visit poster's website
NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/03/2009 09:33
  • Post subject:
Ok, I understand - thanks.

Beatle throwaways for me are songs such as I Call Your Name, Yes It Is ( even though this should've been inluded on the Help! album) - and maybe Old Brown Shoe in the later years.

#1-#100 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3641

#101-#200 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=49444

Check Me Out! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
maxperenchio

• Posted: 10/06/2009 05:35
  • Post subject:
That was the general marketing practice of the day, as bewildering as that seems now. George Martin has always regretted the omission of the double A side Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane single from Sgt. Pepper. I agree with him.

It would be awesome to hear Hey Jude and Revolution sequenced properly on the White album (Three revolutions!) as well as Rain on Revolver, Ballad of John and Yoko on Let it Be. The Beatles release chronology is a shameful mess for such a perfect band.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
ffudnebbuh
level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/07/2009 12:27
  • Post subject:
I completely agree with you,,,it was so strange and frustrating. They really screwed up. But it was like they had so many great records that they could actually not include all of those songs on an album...any band today could build a career on just one or two of those songs.
  • Visit poster's website
Detroit Rock Citizen

United States

• Posted: 10/08/2009 17:55
  • Post subject:
Back in the day in Britian it was seen as a lesser value if albums included singles. In America this point of view was seen as an opportunity to make shorter (and therefore more in number) albums. "Throwaway" was definitely a poor choice of words. Are the American albums better because they include singles? In most cases no. Meet The Beatles is a major exception. However do you honestly believe that Beatles 65 or Beatles VI are better albums than Beatles For Sale? Also consider in America their were many singles that were released only as album tracks in Britian. For example, Eight Days A Week and Yesterday. In some cases albums were put together out of mostly non album single releases. Hey Jude is a good example.
Considering that this is a Best Ever Albums forum the trend today toward the prominence of the individual song is distressing to say the least but it is hard to ignore completely.

My chart
http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=689
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/08/2009 18:16
  • Post subject:
I prefer the US version of The Clash-The Clash because the UK has one less track and doesn't include two of The Clash's top singles-(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais & Complete Control. Nevertheless, BestEverAlbums should recognize that album only once (many members are not familiar with the differences) because by listing them separately each album gets an overall lower rank. Combine the stats as one album-think of it as a different version, not a different album.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
ffudnebbuh
level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/08/2009 18:22
  • Post subject:
I miss 8-tracks wrote:
Back in the day in Britian it was seen as a lesser value if albums included singles. In America this point of view was seen as an opportunity to make shorter (and therefore more in number) albums. "Throwaway" was definitely a poor choice of words. Are the American albums better because they include singles? In most cases no. Meet The Beatles is a major exception. However do you honestly believe that Beatles 65 or Beatles VI are better albums than Beatles For Sale? Also consider in America their were many singles that were released only as album tracks in Britian. For example, Eight Days A Week and Yesterday. In some cases albums were put together out of mostly non album single releases. Hey Jude is a good example.
Considering that this is a Best Ever Albums forum the trend today toward the prominence of the individual song is distressing to say the least but it is hard to ignore completely.

I was thinking mainly in terms of album sales, how many more albums would The Beatles have sold if these singles had been released on albums..? I agree with maxp., it would have been great to hear those singles on those albums.
  • Visit poster's website
Detroit Rock Citizen

United States

• Posted: 10/09/2009 02:20
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
I prefer the US version of The Clash-The Clash because the UK has one less track and doesn't include two of The Clash's top singles-(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais & Complete Control. Nevertheless, BestEverAlbums should recognize that album only once (many members are not familiar with the differences) because by listing them separately each album gets an overall lower rank. Combine the stats as one album-think of it as a different version, not a different album.
I never heard the British version until the cd remaster Embarassed

My chart
http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=689
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website