What is the most influential album since "Nevermind&quo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
ffudnebbuh
level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/08/2009 12:26
  • Post subject:
let me guess, you want be a philosophy major and then law...how exciting for you...
START ENJOYING THE MUSIC
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 10/08/2009 12:26
  • Post subject:
One last thing.

ffudnebbuh wrote:

of course everything is derivative

ffudnebbuh wrote:

many composers/artists are derivative, but the people who changed the direction of music were not.

Debating Rule #1: Work out your contradictions in your own head before you enter into a debate; otherwise, you will refute your own claim and undermine your argument.

Ageist remarks (almost a decade off on my age, by the way), sexist remarks, ad hominem attacks (especially when based on false assumptions), thought-terminating cliches, appeals to faux-authorities (being alive during a certain period doesn't guarantee that someone will understand and be knowledgeable of the historical significance of the events going on around them; nor does older=right), making claims without providing reasoning-- these tactics fall into a realm of anti-intellectuality, we'll call it, that is infinitely more abysmal than any claim you can make about what is happening in U.S. public schools, making the irony of your statements terribly devastating and sad. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Last edited by joannajewsom on 10/08/2009 18:02; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 10/08/2009 16:26
  • Post subject:
Anton Newcombe, while a talented musician, is being a little delusional there. Of the many bands I was trying to think of who could have influenced the White Stripes, Strokes, Hives, Vines thing since Nevermind not once did I think "Brian-Jonestown Massacre". The more I think about it the more I think those bands were pulling from beyond Nevermind, probably because they were tired of Radiohead people?[/quote]
Detroit Rock Citizen

United States

• Posted: 10/08/2009 17:41
  • Post subject:
joannajewsom wrote:
Curious, what makes you think I don't enjoy the music?
i think you two need to get a room Laughing

My chart
http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=689
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
ffudnebbuh
level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/08/2009 18:53
  • Post subject:
joannajewsom wrote:
One last thing.

ffudnebbuh wrote:

of course everything is derivative

ffudnebbuh wrote:

many composers/artists are derivative, but the people who changed the direction of music were not.

Debating Rule #1: Work out your contradictions in your own head before you enter into a debate; otherwise, you will refute your own claim and undermine your argument.

Ageist remarks (almost a decade off on my age, by the way), sexist remarks, ad hominem attacks (especially when based on false assumptions), thought-terminating cliches, appeals to faux-authorities (being alive during a certain period doesn't guarantee that someone will understand and be knowledgeable of the historical significance of the events going on around them; nor does older=right), making claims without providing reasoning-- these tactics fall into a realm of anti-intellectuality, we'll call it, that is infinitely more abysmal than any claim you can make about what is happening in U.S. public schools, making the irony of your statements terribly devastating and sad. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

snore
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/08/2009 19:02
  • Post subject:
joannajewsom wrote:
...may God have mercy on your soul.

Oh the irony, from a self-professed Jewish atheist. Rolling Eyes
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 10/08/2009 19:12
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
joannajewsom wrote:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/08/2009 19:15
  • Post subject:
Pax Dómini sit semper vobíscum.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
ffudnebbuh
level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/09/2009 19:44
  • Post subject:
joannajewsom wrote:
RFNAPLES wrote:
joannajewsom wrote:

Link

It occurred to me last night that we were arguing about different topics...when I was discussing recollections and speculations, I was talking about my list of influential albums(which is a decent list) and that is what I thought you were talking about, but somewhere in the muddle, I think that you were talking about the John Lennon comment about Elvis and the Beatles and recollection/speculation which is when the conversation switched to original/derivative.. and then I had to switch to that but wasn't sure if that was part of your recollection/speculation argument. I think that we kept talking past each other.

I sincerely respect everyone's opinion on each issue although I still disagree with your definitions of originality and derivation and I at least will have to respectfully disagree with you. It is obvious that you are passionate and your ideas are probably thoughtful and well considered. I think that all opinions and valuable on this website. The point of my original post("most influential album since Nevermind") was that I value the opinion of your generation and that your generation can provide me with a more nuanced understanding of the drivers and influences of the music of the last 15 years since...can add more dimensional than just my objective response to the music.
So, if anything I said was over the top or disrespectful, Joannajewsom, I apologize...it was not my intention and was out of the ordinary for me, not my style.
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 10/12/2009 18:32
  • Post subject:
ffudnebbuh wrote:

It occurred to me last night that we were arguing about different topics...when I was discussing recollections and speculations, I was talking about my list of influential albums(which is a decent list) and that is what I thought you were talking about, but somewhere in the muddle, I think that you were talking about the John Lennon comment about Elvis and the Beatles and recollection/speculation which is when the conversation switched to original/derivative.. and then I had to switch to that but wasn't sure if that was part of your recollection/speculation argument. I think that we kept talking past each other.

I sincerely respect everyone's opinion on each issue although I still disagree with your definitions of originality and derivation and I at least will have to respectfully disagree with you. It is obvious that you are passionate and your ideas are probably thoughtful and well considered. I think that all opinions and valuable on this website. The point of my original post("most influential album since Nevermind") was that I value the opinion of your generation and that your generation can provide me with a more nuanced understanding of the drivers and influences of the music of the last 15 years since...can add more dimensional than just my objective response to the music.
So, if anything I said was over the top or disrespectful, Joannajewsom, I apologize...it was not my intention and was out of the ordinary for me, not my style.

Apology accepted and appreciated. I would also like to apologize for being disrespectful. I got really out of hand and just kept pushing the more you pushed. Don't blame yourself too much. I'm usually good at pushing the right buttons. I'm sure Mother would be proud Sad .
  • Visit poster's website