What is the most influential album since "Nevermind&quo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 10/12/2009 20:19
  • Post subject:
ffudnebbuh wrote:
The point of my original post("most influential album since Nevermind") was that I value the opinion of your generation

well, thats my generation. fyi
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 10/12/2009 21:02
  • Post subject:
ffudnebbuh wrote:
The point of my original post("most influential album since Nevermind") was that I value the opinion of your generation

To be fair, saying stuff like "so what gives you this special expertise?..being 15, being a non musician, not having a degree from a major university in music?" doesn't make it sound like you value the opinion of anyone.
  • Visit poster's website
Magnus

• Posted: 10/12/2009 21:44
  • Post subject:
The problem with this question is that it's too general. There have been many influential albums since Nevermind, but all have influenced very different things. And then there's the idea of whether or not they have been a positive of negative influence.

Loveless (which did techinically come after Nevermind) is highly influential in the shoegazing, and while the shoegazing genre itself pretty much died in the 90s, many bands have been incorporated pieces of that genre into their work. However, unlike Nevermind, Loveless wasn't really this big pop-succuess.

Dookie by Green Day may not critically loved that much, but there's no denying that it had a strong influence on the pop-punk genre and helped popularize bands like Offspring, Blink-182, etc. And then of course, much of so called "emo" bands like Fall Out Boy are highly influenced by those bands. Of course, many would say that those band hurt music, thus Dookie's impact was negative. But it had a strong impact nonetheless.

To me, the closest album to Nevermind since Nevermind is Is This It. Nevermind to me wasn't really like all the other grunge albums out there, but nevertheless the succuess of Nevermind helped fuel the succuess of rest of grunge. It also didn't come out before a lot of those albums (Ten for instance was released months before Nevermind, though didn't start to become popular until after Nevermind). Also, Nevermind not only broke through the grunge genre but the alternative genre as a whole, even though much other alternative music wasn't like Nevermind.

Is This It is simliar to Nevermind in that regard. It wasn't the first garage-rock revival album (White Stripes already had I believe 3 albums before Is This It came out), but it was the one that made the genre popular. It also broke through the indie scene more than any other "indie" album did, even though a lot of indie music doesn't sound anything like The Strokes. Of course, Is This It impact was not nearly as strong as Nevermind's.
  • Visit poster's website
ffudnebbuh
level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/13/2009 11:42
  • Post subject:
joannajewsom wrote:
ffudnebbuh wrote:

It occurred to me last night that we were arguing about different topics...when I was discussing recollections and speculations, I was talking about my list of influential albums(which is a decent list) and that is what I thought you were talking about, but somewhere in the muddle, I think that you were talking about the John Lennon comment about Elvis and the Beatles and recollection/speculation which is when the conversation switched to original/derivative.. and then I had to switch to that but wasn't sure if that was part of your recollection/speculation argument. I think that we kept talking past each other.

I sincerely respect everyone's opinion on each issue although I still disagree with your definitions of originality and derivation and I at least will have to respectfully disagree with you. It is obvious that you are passionate and your ideas are probably thoughtful and well considered. I think that all opinions and valuable on this website. The point of my original post("most influential album since Nevermind") was that I value the opinion of your generation and that your generation can provide me with a more nuanced understanding of the drivers and influences of the music of the last 15 years since...can add more dimensional than just my objective response to the music.
So, if anything I said was over the top or disrespectful, Joannajewsom, I apologize...it was not my intention and was out of the ordinary for me, not my style.

Apology accepted and appreciated. I would also like to apologize for being disrespectful. I got really out of hand and just kept pushing the more you pushed. Don't blame yourself too much. I'm usually good at pushing the right buttons. I'm sure Mother would be proud Sad .

Thanks
  • Visit poster's website
ffudnebbuh
level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/13/2009 11:43
  • Post subject:
joannajewsom wrote:
ffudnebbuh wrote:

To be fair, saying stuff like "so what gives you this special expertise?..being 15, being a non musician, not having a degree from a major university in music?" doesn't make it sound like you value the opinion of anyone.

That's why I apologized, I was over the top

Last edited by ffudnebbuh on 10/13/2009 11:59; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
ffudnebbuh
level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/13/2009 11:57
  • Post subject:
This is my first ever forum on any topic, I hate email, I hate communication that is not face to face, you don't hear vocal inflections, etc is someone being sarcastic, serious, sincere, which word in the sentence is being emphasized? There can be so much ambiguity, how does someone define a word? You have to spend 5 pages understanding exactly what someone is saying... Many times, I am not sure what someone is saying, for me, ..I think that that is the problem with this medium..and I am don't communicate well in this medium.
  • Visit poster's website
ffudnebbuh
level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/13/2009 12:23
  • Post subject:
I am getting better at it but I this medium doesm't come natural to me.

Last edited by ffudnebbuh on 10/13/2009 14:53; edited 5 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 10/13/2009 12:37
  • Post subject:
ffudnebbuh wrote:
This is my first ever forum on any topic, I hate email, I hate communication that is not face to face, you don't hear vocal inflections, etc is someone being sarcastic, serious, sincere, which word in the sentence is being emphasized? There can be so much ambiguity, how does someone define a word? You have to spend 5 pages understanding exactly what someone is saying... Many times, I am not sure what someone is saying, for me, ..I think that that is the problem with this medium..and I am don't communicate well in this medium.

Yeah, that's a common problem on these forums and pretty much anywhere on the internet, especially defining terms. You get like 5 pages into a thread, then you're like, wait, how are you defining mashed potatoes?

Sorry your first forum went down a rough path. Sheesh. Keep posting. Trust me. It's not the norm for things to get this ugly.
  • Visit poster's website
ffudnebbuh
level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/13/2009 12:40
  • Post subject:
Great, I love that people are so passionate about music, it is the greatest thing in the world for me...Mostly, I am interested and fascinated in how other people experience music. I can get just as excited about "Black saint and the sinner lady" as I can about Streisands version of "Who will buy"(from her second album.) or R. Strauss' "Four Last Songs"

Last edited by ffudnebbuh on 10/13/2009 12:52; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 10/13/2009 12:49
  • Post subject:
Mashed Potato, wasn't that a dance done to Dee Dee Sharp's "Mashed Potato Time" and James Brown's "(Do the) Mashed Potatoes" and "Mashed Potatoes U.S.A." songs? It was similar to the Halloween seasonal of Bobby Pickett's "Monster Mash."

Maybe we should use more of the emoticons. Idea
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website