View previous topic :: View next topic
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 12/12/2016 22:45
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
benpaco wrote:

By the way, this all's reminded me, is BEAM happening this year? I have an early break and no school next semester so I could probably help with it if time's tight on those who usually do.

Well after the 2014 BEAMAs took about one year to complete, both me and Jhereko weren't feeling like going through all of that again last year (besides, wouldn't Kendrick win everything anyway?). Don't think I have the energy to deal with it this year either. But if someone else wants to do, I can help a bit.

I'd definitely be down to do that, it may well take a while but it would be fascinating for this year. Bummer last didn't happen but you're right about Kendrick. It would help to have someone else at the forefront to push me to actually stay on top of stuff but I have the time/I think the energy to do it.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/13/2016 00:01
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
Honestly I don't get all the praise for Chance and Bon Iver, and I can't say I found a lot to enjoy on Life of Pablo either. Bey was okay, but I've never been much of fan, and while Lemonade was my favourite album of hers, I'm still not totally onboard. Dunno, think I'm just too far away from current P4k's tastes...

Interesting considering how interwoven those artists are with each other right now.

Bon Iver, Chance The Rapper and Kanye have unquestionably released some of my favourite albums this decade. However, even though I really enjoy the new Bon Iver, all of their releases this year are easily their weakest efforts in my opinion. All the passion and energy that Chance had in Acid Rap just feels so depleted in Coloring Book... I'd really be in shock is P4k names it as AOTY. Actually, same with The Life of Pablo.

And, on another note, I'll hopefully give the Aesop Rock a first spin sometime tomorrow.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/13/2016 04:01
  • Post subject:
http://thequietus.com/articles/21429-al...-year-2016

A BEA favourite Mr. Green

Dozens of recs here.
  • Visit poster's website
boyd94

• Posted: 12/13/2016 08:12
  • Post subject:
http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and...16/?page=1

I will never get the hype with Frank Ocean. That kind of one-note R&B muzak sends me right to sleep.
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 12/13/2016 11:07
  • Post subject:
Yeah I'm not really a fan of the P4k's list, but I have to say I'm loving Solange at #1. I listened to it for the first time after those posts I made yesterday, and was just thinking how much I actually preferred it to anything Beyoncé ever made. Cranes in the Sky is gorgeous, as is Mad.
Still need to listen to the ANOHNI and ATCQ album.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 12/13/2016 11:20
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I think the album Frank Ocean put out this year is utterly lifeless to point it lacks any significant movements to interest me.

EDIT: Oh, Hayden, my 2016 chart just went through another massive update though I still think the rotation/placement is a bit off outside of my top 10 of the year so don’t think something in the 50-100 area is less significant for me (or not worth hearing) if you do use my list as some sort of criteria.
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 12/13/2016 13:22
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
I've seen them twice in the past two weeks and they're SO GOOD, especially live. The album was kind of alright but seeing them do it live made me absolutely fall head over heels. I dunno if I'd pick New Friends as my favorite on the album, just cuz it, Old Friends, Cadmium, Aphasia, and Size of the Moon are all spectacular. If I had to pick I'd probably go for Size of the Moon, though that's a really tough choice. If you ever get the chance to see them live, take it, they're one of only 2 or 3 bands I've ever seen live and gone in not excited for but come out adoring..

Thanks for the tip. Old Friends was my song of the year for a long time, but recently I've preferred New Friends. It's very relatable for me and I love the breakdown at the end. Size of the Moon is another favorite though and the "someday I won't define myself by who I'm thinking of" line from Aphasia is probably my favorite lyric on the album.

Really not feeling that pitchfork album list - Solange's album did nothing for me and I really would have preferred Frank, or even Beyonce. And I don't know how Cave got a 9 and didn't make the top 10, guess he's not zeitgeisty enough.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/13/2016 14:47
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Yeah, I think the album Frank Ocean put out this year is utterly lifeless to point it lacks any significant movements to interest me.

EDIT: Oh, Hayden, my 2016 chart just went through another massive update though I still think the rotation/placement is a bit off outside of my top 10 of the year so don’t think something in the 50-100 area is less significant for me (or not worth hearing) if you do use my list as some sort of criteria.

Been meaning to check out that Carla Dal Forno album... I've been seeing it everywhere as of late. Thanks Gowi Smile

The Alicia Keys album that high also makes me a bit curious about it.

Quote:
http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and...16/?page=1

This is a really odd list from Pitchfork. I would have never guessed that Solange would get #1 Confused Which is cool, it's a really good album, but just a surprise. When scrolling down I figured they'd give it to Frank. Ah well. Nick Cave and Car Seat Headrest without a doubt should have both been in the top 10. It's also cool to see them putting Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith, NoName and Elza Soares (even though it was a 2015 record) on here. Some good picks. Also some notable omissions (What's with the sudden lack of love for The Avalanches????? And I figured dvsn would get in there somewhere as well.)
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 12/13/2016 15:16
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Been meaning to check out that Carla Dal Forno album... I've been seeing it everywhere as of late. Thanks Gowi Smile

The Alicia Keys album that high also makes me a bit curious about it.

Yeah, it’s one of the newest additions to my 2016 favorites— I’m glad RYM recommended it to me.

As for the Alicia Keys album, it’s probably her opus and the most mature thing she’s ever done. My only greviance is “In Common” isn’t on the album. I look at it like a companion piece to Common’s Black America Again, really. It’s introspective, adventurous, and kind of powerful. I never thought a mainstream contemporary R&B artist could make something this good.

Last edited by mickilennial on 12/13/2016 16:41; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 12/13/2016 15:31
  • Post subject:
I'm actually cool with Solange at number one. Not my number one, but it's respectable.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website