Extreme Right
5%
 5%  [7]
Total Votes : 138

Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

• Posted: 08/28/2014 18:36
  • Post subject:
"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies." (Nietzsche) He said this like 120 years ago. There was no suicide bombing and stuff back then so you gotta give the man credit for thinking way beyond his time. I thin I'm extremely right in giving him the credit.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/28/2014 18:41
  • Post subject:
Muslim-Bigfoot wrote:
"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies." (Nietzsche) He said this like 120 years ago. There was no suicide bombing and stuff back then so you gotta give the man credit for thinking way beyond his time. I thin I'm extremely right in giving him the credit.

Great quote from the almighty Nietzsche, although i believe there was still suicidal warriors much further back in time. Maybe I'm wrong, but probably I'm right
  • Visit poster's website
Muslim-Bigfoot

• Posted: 08/28/2014 18:49
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Great quote from the almighty Nietzsche, although i believe there was still suicidal warriors much further back in time. Maybe I'm wrong, but probably I'm right

Yeah probably, but I mean it certainly wasn't a serious threat or sth. also I've not heard of any other suicidal warriors blowing themselves in the middle of civilian crowds before; as you say they were warriors.
Precedent

• Posted: 08/28/2014 19:19
  • Post subject:
NowhereMan wrote:
Either way it's hard to fathom.

.. Brick wall Brick wall
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/28/2014 19:50
  • Post subject:
Muslim-Bigfoot wrote:
Yeah probably, but I mean it certainly wasn't a serious threat or sth. also I've not heard of any other suicidal warriors blowing themselves in the middle of civilian crowds before; as you say they were warriors.

It's been around for a while. Weapons have just changed to make it more dangerous.

To counter the superior numbers of the Chola dynasty empire's army in the 11th century, suicide squads were raised by the Indian Chera rulers. This helped the Cheras to resist Chola invasion and maintain the independence of their kingdom from the time of Kulothunga Chola I. These warriors were known as the "chavers".[10] Later, these suicide squads rendered service as police, volunteer troop and fighting squads in the region. Now their primary duty was to assist local rulers in battles and skirmishes. The rulers of the state of Valluvanad are known to have deployed a number of suicide squads against the ruler of Calicut.

In the late 17th century, Qing official Yu Yonghe recorded that injured Dutch soldiers fighting against Koxinga's forces for control of Taiwan in 1661 would use gunpowder to blow up both themselves and their opponents rather than be taken prisoner.[11] However, the Chinese observer may have confused such suicidal tactics with the standard Dutch military practice of undermining and blowing up positions recently overrun by the enemy which almost cost Koxinga his life during the Siege of Fort Zeelandia.[12]
  • Visit poster's website
satiemaniac

• Posted: 08/28/2014 22:11
  • Post subject:
Muslim-Bigfoot wrote:
"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies."

sorry to be all Derridean on you, but don't you find it SLIGHTLY problematic to just pluck out a nice soundbite from someone as complex and brilliant as Nietzsche just so you can appear learned while you wave a red herring around about suicide bombing?
Muslim-Bigfoot

• Posted: 08/28/2014 22:51
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:
sorry to be all Derridean on you, but don't you find it SLIGHTLY problematic to just pluck out a nice soundbite from someone as complex and brilliant as Nietzsche just so you can appear learned while you wave a red herring around about suicide bombing?

Well in posting a quote I have two options; first one being what I did, just quote it and assume it's fairly understandable and not dependent on the context; I think I'm right in assuming that, since the quote itself is "plucked out" of context: it's an aphorism from the last chapter of the first volume of "Human, All Too Human", a chapter which is compiled of numbered aphorisms detached from each other. The other option one might have in this situation to satisfy a meticulous reader like yourself is to read Nietzsche very carefully all-round, each period of his thought, then form one's own consistent hermeneutical and exegetical understanding of his thought as a wholesome yet convoluted body and try to incorporate the aphorism into the context of the specifics of that particular period of his thought and interpret it teleologically in the light of the evolution of his thought throughout his life to make a full-on comprehension of the aphorism which consequentially should be in line with his other related doctrines and perceivable as a sacrosanct part of the organic whole that is his ideology. I find the former far easier and the more logical step when I post in a music forum. Sorry.

Last edited by Muslim-Bigfoot on 08/28/2014 23:09; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
satiemaniac

• Posted: 08/28/2014 22:56
  • Post subject:
Not only do you possess the flattened world view of a modernist, but you have the penchant for evasion of a post-modernist! A true genius.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/28/2014 23:00
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:
Not only do you possess the flattened world view of a modernist, but you have the penchant for evasion of a post-modernist! A true genius.

Such a passive aggressive way to admit defeat.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 08/29/2014 01:22
  • Post subject:
The fact satiemaniac put "slightly" in all caps makes me think that perhaps he didn't really mean "slightly" at all.