Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 371, 372, 373 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Daydreamer

• Posted: 02/10/2017 12:57
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
An ok start:
The Solo Artist by sethmadsen

I'm a little bit confused, is it a ranking of best albums by solo artists or just ranking of the artists?

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2017 04:17
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
An ok start:

I'm a little bit confused, is it a ranking of best albums by solo artists or just ranking of the artists?

Oh good question... it's ranking the albums (how I like them at least), of solo artists (mostly... Jimi Hendrix Experience for example... well to be frank most people really only care about Jimi. But then again, some could say the same about The Doors, yet I don't classify it the same... hard to say... dunno... it just felt right at the moment.)
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2017 05:23
  • Post subject:
I should probably say I arrived at that list by marking which artists I've listened to in the past year or so as a solo artist, and then sorting by highest scored albums. I don't even know if I agree with it, but that's what the data says. It'd probably look totally different if I was putting it together "blindly".
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 02/11/2017 11:12
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Daydreamer wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
An ok start:

Oh good question... it's ranking the albums (how I like them at least), of solo artists (mostly... Jimi Hendrix Experience for example... well to be frank most people really only care about Jimi. But then again, some could say the same about The Doors, yet I don't classify it the same... hard to say... dunno... it just felt right at the moment.)

Yes the line between solo artist and a band is not so clear sometimes. Jimi Hendrix, Bruce Springsteen, Nick Cave, they all have backing bands which are almost as famous as they are, so I don't know where I'd put them.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 02/14/2017 05:01
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
Daydreamer wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
An ok start:

Yes the line between solo artist and a band is not so clear sometimes. Jimi Hendrix, Bruce Springsteen, Nick Cave, they all have backing bands which are almost as famous as they are, so I don't know where I'd put them.

Probably not in a solo artists list, maybe?
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 02/14/2017 11:10
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Daydreamer wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
Daydreamer wrote:
[quote= "sethmadsen"]An ok start:

Probably not in a solo artists list, maybe?[/quote]

Strictly speaking, you're right. But I can't help feeling Bruce Springsteen and Nick Cave are solo artists. They write all the songs and everybody knows them by their name. I know it's probably a little unfair to their bands, but literally every solo artist has a backing band so by that logic there would be no solo artists at all.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 02/14/2017 11:31
  • Post subject:
Except Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds wasn’t envisioned a solo vehicle—we’re not talking about people utilizing studio or session musicians, but in the context of bands like The Bad Seeds you have to understand the context of their formation. While it is undisputable that Nick Cave wrote arrangements and lyrics, to say it is a solo act is doing a disservice to his longtime musical collaborator, Mick Harvey, who during his time in the band was responsible for things beyond being a “backing guitarist” such as arrangements and it is abundantly clear that Nick Cave did not run the project as a solo project. It is disingenuous and unfair to Harvey to consider it as such.

Meanwhile Bruce Springsteen has been the opposite—his bands have always been backing bands and he’s changed them multiple times.
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 02/14/2017 13:04
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Except Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds wasn’t envisioned a solo vehicle—we’re not talking about people utilizing studio or session musicians, but in the context of bands like The Bad Seeds you have to understand the context of their formation. While it is undisputable that Nick Cave wrote arrangements and lyrics, to say it is a solo act is doing a disservice to his longtime musical collaborator, Mick Harvey, who during his time in the band was responsible for things beyond being a “backing guitarist” such as arrangements and it is abundantly clear that Nick Cave did not run the project as a solo project. It is disingenuous and unfair to Harvey to consider it as such.

Meanwhile Bruce Springsteen has been the opposite—his bands have always been backing bands and he’s changed them multiple times.

That's exactly what I am talking about, every artist needs to be accesed individually. However, I would say that some more hardcore Springsteen fans would claim that the original E Street Band is much more than just a backing band, just like how Bowie fans would claim Mick Ronson is more than a backing guitarist. What about Brian Eno during Bowie's Berlin years? That's why it's not as clear as it looks in many cases.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 02/14/2017 16:37
  • Post subject:
Well David Bowie was always the principal songwriter—he used his friends and collaborators to help achieve what he wanted to do. I would consider him and Brian Eno’s collaborations just what it is: a work between two artists. No offense meant to Ronson, but he really didn’t have much of a songwriting impact (as far as I can recall) on Bowie’s pre-Eno work. Yes, he was the central guitarist but that’s about as far as it went.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 02/17/2017 12:15
  • Post subject:
http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=36431

There's a bit of everything.
  • Visit poster's website