Society

View previous topic :: View next topic
useless

• Posted: 05/21/2013 10:48
  • Post subject: Society
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world...24560.html

Fuck fuck fuck. This country seems like it's being hit by any single form of tragedy imaginable these days. R.I.P. to all the poor victims and my deepest condolences to all the people related to them. Sadly, nothing of this can bring those people back...
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/21/2013 11:25
  • Post subject:
It's unnerving to think that whilst I was asleep in my bed, some people on the other side of the world were experiencing the most tragic, or worse, the last day of the lives.

I don't think anything I could say would do justice to what they've experienced, I feel bad when I can only offer emapthy. As useless said, my deepest condolences.

• Posted: 05/21/2013 12:03
  • Post subject:
It's very sad. The fact that it straightly hit a school is the worst thing that could've happened. Why they didn't know anything about it before it came? I don't know anything about tornadoes but I've heard that they can kinda predict it, don't they? And also:
Quote:
Senators Jim Inhofe and Tom Coburn [Oklahoma's two senators], both Republicans, are fiscal hawks who have repeatedly voted against funding disaster aid for other parts of the country. They also have opposed increased funding for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), which administers federal disaster relief.
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 05/24/2013 13:59
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:
Why they didn't know anything about it before it came? I don't know anything about tornadoes but I've heard that they can kinda predict it, don't they?

Tornadoes are unpredictable. Meteorologists will look for certain weather patterns, issue warnings on about fifteen minute time scales, the sirens will go off (Silent Hill style), and all people can do is go to the lowest floor in the center of the building and hope for the best. Oklahoma City was unlucky. Sometimes it's nothing, sometimes it's a funnel cloud that never touches down, sometimes it touches down and rips up a few trees and disappears, sometimes it touches down damages some stuff and then goes back up, sometimes an F4 barrels through an entire city. That being said, this year's tornado season in the US has been surprisingly quiet, and if it continues as such I expect this year's damages from tornadoes to be surprisingly low (not sure about deaths or injuries).

Concerning FEMA, every action of theirs indicates that they have a genuine interest in helping people both mitigate and recover from disasters. There's been some FEMA blame in the past, but people need to realize that FEMA is a federal agency bound by red tape and funding limits; people also tend to forget that FEMA usually responds to disasters, and tries to help communities mitigate against disasters, rather than prevent disasters. If there's one federal agency I would cut funding from it would be the US Army Corps of Engineers, which fully fits the engineering stereotype of kids in a sandbox and is legitimately corrupt in the laziest ways.

Ultimately most natural disasters are unpredictable. I mean, we can "predict" that a tsunami wave is going to hit us, or that a volcano is erupting, but only after it actually begins. The most preventable disaster is flooding, which is also the most damaging annually. If you live in a floodplain (even behind a levee), you are simply among the dumbest people on this earth.
useless

• Posted: 06/03/2013 17:11
  • Post subject:
Strange nobody has mentioned it so far...

http://www.euronews.com/2013/06/01/wave...im-square/
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2013 20:30
  • Post subject:
What's happening in Turkey seems to be escalating at a rapid rate, which is very scary. I wish I had a better understanding of it all.

Closer to home I have this happening: http://gothamist.com/2013/06/03/nycs_vi...ings_o.php

25 Shootings in NYC over the weekend. The scariest part of it is that one of the shootings (which resulted in death) happened only a block from my apartment. And another was within walking distance as well.
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 06/05/2013 19:31
  • Post subject:
What do tornadoes have to do with society? Why were tornadoes the first post in a thread about society?

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
L Lawliet

• Posted: 06/05/2013 20:26
  • Post subject:

Justice is not a frivolous thing, Simpson. It has little if anything to do with a disobedient whale.
  • Visit poster's website
useless

• Posted: 06/15/2013 19:32
  • Post subject:
http://www.skynews.com.au/businessnews/...?id=879194
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 11/11/2013 06:57
  • Post subject:
Didn't want to make a new thread, and this seems a broad enough title to use so I just wanted to share a quote I read.

"If we expect labor to fight our nation's battles we must give labor a nation worth fighting for." - John Hessin Clarke