Homosexuality

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 42, 43, 44  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Saoirse

• Posted: 06/27/2015 09:23
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
It's hard not to feel a little schadenfreude when oppressors feel marginalized for not being allowed to carry out their oppression. It's very little, though, as I'm sure their discomfort pales in comparison to the pain they've caused.

So who's got good photoshop? Maybe do a rainbow-colored BEA banner in show of support (all done independently from members of BEA, ofc). Or would that be too gay?

I just think it's time to one-up those hacks at Disneyland.
bongritsu
电子人 ( cyborg)

Canada

• Posted: 06/28/2015 21:19
  • Post subject:
are these the healthy relationships i keep hearing about?

Link

Looks like pride week was a smashing success:
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/06/19/...-underway/

I FEEL DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AS A PERSON OF JUDGEMENT.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 06/28/2015 22:01
  • Post subject:
bongritsu wrote:
Looks like pride week was a smashing success:
http//...2015/06/19/meningitis-fears-intensify-as-pride-fest-get-underway

If you're going to troll, it will help if you read the article you're linking first... or at least the headline. Hell, your comment isn't even consistent with the text in the URL you copied into your post.
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 06/28/2015 22:35
  • Post subject:
To me this song says it all. Smile Smile Smile

Link

God bless you and Aaron always!!! Smile Smile Smile

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/28/2015 22:41
  • Post subject:
I came out to my brother about an hour ago which was pretty cool, I've basically managed to turn him into a younger version of me haha so obviously he was fine about it. I'm out to all my close family now, virtually all my friends, everyone at rugby.. the stuff bong posts about gay people would bother me way more if it was something I actually see irl too, but pretty much everyone in my life is basically chill about it which makes me feel good.

I think it's pretty crazy how attitudes have changed in the last few years, when usa and ireland got gay marriage and the way young people reacted to that made me so happy. I used to feel really uncomfortable being gay when I was younger, and I guess sometimes I still do a bit now but when you see people acting like this, and straight kids on your fb have the rainbow profile pics stuff like this, and gay people in general are seen now in such a positive way it makes me feel good about myself.

My little bro says there's kids at his school who come out at about 15 which seems pretty mental to me considering when I was there the idea of anyone being open about something like that was just pretty ridiculous tbh. I found coming out from 19/20 to be scary enough so, with people coming out younger and younger it seems like in general people are much more comfortable about it now than just a few years ago. I find it so much more easy now to talk about and stuff eg this post and I've started seeing someone I really like which seems like it's going well, so being gay actually feels pretty alright to me right now Very Happy

So yeah, I think the last few years have seen life get better for gay people in a pretty significant way which I suppose is what it's all about and why it's important. People can whinge about it if they like but I don't think there's any turning back now.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 06/28/2015 23:15
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
I think it's pretty crazy how attitudes have changed in the last few years...

I know, right? For the USA...

As political issues go, that's a seismic shift. I remember my sociology professor in college (~2000) telling us that gay marriage legalization was inevitable, but by the mid-2000s, I was beginning to wonder.

I'm so happy about the SCOTUS ruling and really happy for you, too. Thanks for sharing, btw, reading that made me smile.
CubaZed

• Posted: 06/29/2015 08:21
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
but by the mid-2000s, I was beginning to wonder.

I can relate. It's odd how quickly the state of California has gone from passing prop 8 with a sizable margin, to forerunners of the marriage equality voters in less than seven years.
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 06/29/2015 13:51
  • Post subject:
smh at the homophobic posts on my Facebook feed; most disappointingly, a post from my Islamiat (Islamic studies, for those not familiar with the term) teacher about how it's a sin and should be condemned, and the Quran shouldn't be questioned, with Lot's story taken as an example. Only three people, including me (among the dozens who commented) disagreed.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 06/30/2015 03:53
  • Post subject:
I am 100 percent sure Bong you're aware that gay marriage has been legal in Canada for a decade now, why is all of a sudden the 20th country to do so inciting all this (completely incoherent) apocalyptic trolling talk? Or was "Gays=Child Molesters" the title of your grade-school science fair project?

Anyways great to hear about everything Higher than the Sun, I mean it really wasn't long ago at all when gay marriage was always a popular wedge issue for those opposed cause it seemed to have such ironclad support (remember the 2004 US election?), but it's great to see how things have progressed so much since then. Though just to turn it back stateside a bit it's important that even though gay marriage is now legal nationwide, there are still many states that still allow discrimination in housing, employment and so on for LGBTQ individuals, and unfortunately there's a feeling that efforts will only be ramped up by those upset over the ruling to put more discriminatory laws in place (of course under the heading religious "freedom"). As great as this past week has been, there's still plenty more that needs to be done unfortunately.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2015 07:12
  • Post subject:
Saoirse wrote:
As great as this past week has been, there's still plenty more that needs to be done unfortunately.

Yeah the decision feels vaguely like good PR. Like there was more that they could have decided on that would help end discrimination. There's still a chunk of laws allowing for the whole "I don't have to employ you because you're gay" thing. As I understand it the court had the right to put into the decision that people in gay marriages have the same rights as straight marriages or something (I'm a bit out of the loop on some of this, mostly trusting my lawyer dad cuz I'm on vacation and not gonna do the research right now tbh).

I am really interested in seeing how much this helps (I really hope it helps) teen suicide rates among homosexuals. The numbers are RIDICULOUS when it comes to LGBT youth depression and all, and my hopes is seeing most of the country so happy about this will help, but I honestly am scared it won't. People are stubborn, and the ones at risk are often at risk because their family or specific community doesn't support them, rather than the populace at large. At the same time, to hear a story like HTTS's at least gives some hope ...

And while this is great, there's still other issues with gender and sexuality that are scary and not treated at all. ("Men can't get raped", binary genders rather than a spectrum, bisexual or gender fluid being looked down upon by parts of the LGBT community, etc.)

So yeah, sorry to be a downer, and I'm happy as hell we've come this far, but this should be a great jumping off point, this is not the end.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website