Regarding the Gays-Can't-Raise-Children Argument...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 08/27/2013 17:50
  • Post subject: Regarding the Gays-Can't-Raise-Children Argument...
I had a thought recently. A lot of people argue against same-sex marriage because apparently there are studies that show that children benefit more from being raised by a heterosexual couple than they do from being raised by a homosexual couple. These studies, of course, are very few in number and demonstrably biased and misleading, but I've been wondering: Even if these studies did exist, and even if they were valid and conclusive, would it matter?

Think about it. If it's really all for the well-being of the children, shouldn't more attention be put on keeping same-sex couples from adopting children rather than keeping them from getting married? After all, if all we're worried about is the children, then there's certainly no harm in letting two people of the same gender get married if they can't raise children, is there?

On top of that, why is it that only when gay people are involved do people worry about the children? If they don't want people who would make incompetent parents getting married, then why aren't they pushing for legislation that would prevent uneducated people or people with histories of crime or substance abuse from having children?

And then there's the whole education system to consider. Why is it that the people who oppose same-sex marriage on the grounds that the children will be negatively affected also tend to be the same people who don't seem to give two shits about the education system? It is perfectly evident that children who are exposed to a good education starting from a young age will, on average, be much happier and have much more validity as a functioning member of society later in their lives than children who do not have access to good education. So why aren't these people putting as much focus on the education system as they are putting on gay marriage? Certainly the issues relating to the welfare of the children would apply in both instances, would it not?

Of course, the answer to all of these questions is obvious. The motives behind the opposition to same-sex marriage, as objective as they pretend to be, are all rooted in homophobia, and this is no different. However, I thought it was an interesting point. Thoughts?
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/27/2013 18:44
  • Post subject: Re: Regarding the Gays-Can't-Raise-Children Argument...
swedenman wrote:
The motives behind the opposition to same-sex marriage, as objective as they pretend to be, are all rooted in homophobia, and this is no different. However, I thought it was an interesting point. Thoughts?

Pretty sure you already know the answer.

Biased studies could prove all sorts of people to be bad parents. it's been proven that racist teenage white trash bigots make terrible parents, but there's no laws against them having kids either.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 08/27/2013 19:07
  • Post subject: Re: Regarding the Gays-Can't-Raise-Children Argument...
meccalecca wrote:
Pretty sure you already know the answer.

Well yeah, as I mentioned, the answer to why we see this hypocrisy is fairly obvious. It's just an interesting point that recently occurred to me.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/28/2013 01:51
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
I think when you consider the amount of kids being brought up in pretty fucked up circumstances by their natural parent/s and the amount of vetting that adoptive couples have to go through, the idea that homosexual couples are somehow inferior to the 'average' parents just doesn't make sense.

Your point about the fact that babies are actually in demand from adoptive parents and therefore only the most perfect couples should be considered is fine but how exactly do you set the criteria? There's a million different things which make a couple better or worse parents and even if you're willing to concede that homosexual parents are less ideal than heterosexual parents, that's still just one issue of many and not one which holds enough weight to discriminate on.

I don't think adoptive parents should have to be 'perfect'. I mean do we say that couples who are poor, or who have illness/disability or who might just be socially incapable/weirdos should also be barred from adopting? I say as long as you can provide a loving home and dearly want to adopt then these things shouldn't be considered, especially as like I say, there's plenty of kids growing up with their natural parent/s in substantially worse conditions.

Only real problem to growing up with gay parents would be other people being assholes about it, the same people who say gay couples shouldn't adopt because it's not fair for the kids, it's like a paradox.

• Posted: 08/28/2013 11:48
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
Only real problem to growing up with gay parents would be other people being assholes about it, the same people who say gay couples shouldn't adopt because it's not fair for the kids, it's like a paradox.

Exactly. In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion that the "studies" that demonstrate how children raised by gay parents turn out less well-adjusted than those raised by straight parents use "children are tolerant of gay people" as a criterion for being not well-adjusted. It's pretty much circular reasoning.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 08/28/2013 17:36
  • Post subject:
Studies on parenting (even legitimate ones that have nothing to do with sexuality) like to change and vary from generation to generation so what is good and bad for the child in question is really hard to put forward in objective fact.
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 08/29/2013 19:12
  • Post subject:
Though everyone knows where I stand, asking whether a gay couple should raise a child is like asking if two uncles or two brothers or two aunts could raise a child. It doesn't matter and it should'nt even be an existing argument let alone a valid one.
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 09/26/2013 02:09
  • Post subject:
I actually came across a study that found gay parents to be better at raising kids. Granted, I'm not sure what gauges what makes one kid better raised than another, but the numbers suggested that the kids were more well-adjusted under the parentry of same sex couples.
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 10/06/2013 03:38
  • Post subject:
First question, of course, is: Who financed the study. A study funded by Coca-Cola finding that soda pop isn't all that bad for your health isn't worth a whole lot.
  • Visit poster's website
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 10/06/2013 04:24
  • Post subject:
Oh, I can't remember. That is a fair point, but it was pretty solidly constructed, and seemed pretty unbiased.
  • Visit poster's website