Regarding the Gays-Can't-Raise-Children Argument...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 10/07/2013 02:30
  • Post subject:
I just think which sexuality is better at raising kids is irrelevant. Though there is the point to be made that homosexual parents have to really want to have kids to get kids (adoption isn't exactly the simplest process), whereas there are thousands of heterosexual couples who wind up with kids on accident or who just have kids for the hell of it because it's so easy.
bonafini

Brazil

• Posted: 10/15/2013 06:28
  • Post subject:
If people were really worried with the well-being of orphans, they would see that a minimally stable gay couple is always better than no parents at all. And the number of gay couples that want to adopt is considerably high, meaning that A LOT of abandoned children would have a home and parents that'd love them.
But the argument is not about the children, it's about sustaining illogical commonsense.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 10/15/2013 20:54
  • Post subject:
This is only vaguely on topic, but I heard one kid at my school say that if his son was gay he would kill him.

Needless, to say, that really pissed me off. But meow. People are dumb.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/15/2013 23:33
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
This is only vaguely on topic, but I heard one kid at my school say that if his son was gay he would kill him.

Watched the first part of Stephen Fry's documentary about homophobia and stuff earlier and they had a video on it of these gay kids getting hanged in Iran, which was depressing to watch. Was a part about 'restorative therapy' in the US as well, basically where homophobic parents send their kids to be 'cured', that didn't seem like fun either.

Second part has a piece on Russia which should be interesting, will be on wednesday I think.

Spoiler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyNis-z0Rg0

• Posted: 10/15/2013 23:59
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:

A friend of mine was kicked out of her home and has no contact with her family because they couldn't and wouldn't understand her 'degenerate lifestyle choice'. (Their words not mine!)

She found solace with her friends and a welcoming gay community. She is now living in a loving civil partnership (with plans to marry next year now its legal) and her and her partner have a lovely well adjusted intelligent 'normal' 9 year old boy.

She has no contact at all with anyone in her family apart from her grandmother, with an interesting story of her own about persecution, and her youngest brother who tracked her down because he wanted to get to know her. They are now pretty close.

I don't get how parents can reject their children like that. The person is still the same person that they have always been. Who they happen to fall in love with, doesn't change the fundamental traits of their personality. It's pathetic and very sad that some people can't accept that!
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2013 00:19
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
I just think which sexuality is better at raising kids is irrelevant. Though there is the point to be made that homosexual parents have to really want to have kids to get kids (adoption isn't exactly the simplest process), whereas there are thousands of heterosexual couples who wind up with kids on accident or who just have kids for the hell of it because it's so easy.

I don't think that the sexuality of the parents is what is usually brought into question, although I could be wrong, so much as the idea of two men or two women raising a child is brought up. I think the only legitimate argument to be made against gay couples raising children is that evolution didn't take humans in a direction where it is most favorable for parents of the same sex to have and raise children. But then again, you could easily destroy that argument by pointing out all the shitty male-female parents. So yea it's pretty absurd to not let them raise children.
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 10/16/2013 08:50
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:

How did others who heard him respond?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 10/16/2013 19:59
  • Post subject:
Facetious wrote:
How did others who heard him respond?

I think they agreed with him, to be honest. I wanted to say something, but there really was nothing I could do to change their minds.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2013 20:30
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
I think they agreed with him, to be honest. I wanted to say something, but there really was nothing I could do to change their minds.

Where in the US do you live?

• Posted: 10/16/2013 20:37
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
Where in the US do you live?

Same state as Naples, enough said, lol. North Carolina.