Thoughts on dumb facebook posts?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 01/02/2014 18:46
  • Post subject: Thoughts on dumb facebook posts?
And tweets and myspace stuff and etc. This showed up in my facebook recently.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid...mp;theater

Why do politicians keep trying? I've never seen a tweet or facebook post get mass attention in a good way, it seems like its just when it's awful that people notice anyways. What's even the point? Like, serious question here, why?

Also thoughts on the image appreciated I guess, feel free to discuss that, just more about the topic as a whole here.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 01/02/2014 21:05
  • Post subject:
The point is that people are more concerned with what they oppose than with what they support. It's all just a big testosterone contest where both parties try to talk more shit on the other party than the other party talks on them. That's why we have facebook pages like "NOT Liberal" and "NOT Conservative" and why we have bumper stickers like "Not a Republican" and "If assholes could fly the Democrat Party would be an airport!" (yes, I've actually seen that one) and why, in debates between presidential candidates, both candidates tend to answer every question with something along the lines of "Here is how my opponent will fail to address this issue..." instead of "Here is how I will address this issue...".

What it all boils down to is that human beings like to be offended, and they like to retaliate by offending the ones who offended them.

tl;dr: People suck.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 01/02/2014 21:43
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
The point is that people are more concerned with what they oppose than with what they support. It's all just a big testosterone contest where both parties try to talk more shit on the other party than the other party talks on them. That's why we have facebook pages like "NOT Liberal" and "NOT Conservative" and why we have bumper stickers like "Not a Republican" and "If assholes could fly the Democrat Party would be an airport!" (yes, I've actually seen that one) and why, in debates between presidential candidates, both candidates tend to answer every question with something along the lines of "Here is how my opponent will fail to address this issue..." instead of "Here is how I will address this issue...".

What it all boils down to is that human beings like to be offended, and they like to retaliate by offending the ones who offended them.

tl;dr: People suck.

This exactly. It's always about what you're not and what your opponent is. Politicians and their fervent followers love to talk about how terrible their opponents are, but are a bit more hesitant to talk about what they are.

There's always this classic excuse I hear a lot: Party A does something that Party B disagrees with very publicly. Then, years later, Party B does the same thing Party A did previously. Then, a journalist asks a member of Party B why they're doing what they're doing and that member responds with some variation of "Well Party A did it!" as if that gives them permission to do it. Often times this answer is accepted, which is pretty terrible journalism, but that's a different subject entirely.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 01/02/2014 22:24
  • Post subject:
That's disgusting. Yes, let us make jokes about the tears of people who have lost loved ones to gun violence.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 01/04/2014 02:07
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:

I'm with you on the first paragraph, but this line surprised me. Do you really like being offended? I don't feel like I enjoy it at all.

I always figured it was an ego thing -- by creating an ambiguous nemesis, like "liberals" or "bible thumpers," people feel they can set themselves apart and above others, while shaping an identity for themselves in the process. It's like constructing a straw man and decorating yourself with its mutilated form. Actually, when I put it that way, it sounds kinda cool... Think

• Posted: 01/04/2014 03:41
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
I'm with you on the first paragraph, but this line surprised me. Do you really like being offended? I don't feel like I enjoy it at all.

Well I was kind of flippant with my wording. However, it does seem to me that people generally get some personal satisfaction out of having something to rage against. For example, I'm sure we all have those facebook friends who are always posting articles that are really misogynistic or homophobic or something like that and being all like "Srsly!? Omg this is soooooooooo offensive." Or, on the flipside, there are people like my uncle who are constantly posting articles about the liberal education system teaching our children that homosexuality is okay and saying "Gotta love those public school systems, eh? Teaching valuable life lessons to our impressionable children."

Maybe it's true of some people more than others, but those people tend to be the most vocal, so idk.
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 01/04/2014 20:42
  • Post subject:
Is it weird that I have like 500 Facebook friends and never see posts like this?

What kind of people are you guys associating with? Is this just an American thing?

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 01/04/2014 21:27
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
Is this just an American thing?

Maybe. Do you ever see obnoxious partisan partisan bumper stickers in Canada?

• Posted: 01/08/2014 09:12
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
Is it weird that I have like 500 Facebook friends and never see posts like this?

What kind of people are you guys associating with? Is this just an American thing?

I never see posts like this either and my FB friends are pretty global but generally old farts! And my US mates would never post something as crass as that... So who knows??
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 01/08/2014 11:06
  • Post subject:
Wow, you guys must have really straightforward social lives. My facebook friends pretty much run the gamut, including cousins, in-laws, co-workers, etc. I see obnoxious right-wing propaganda from my in-laws, anti-vaccine nonsense from one of my cousins, anti-genetic-engineering stuff from my crazy aunt, and left-wing propaganda from old college and grad school classmates. I suppose I could unfriend them, but that would kind of make me an asshole.