<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<rss version="2.0" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
<channel>
  <title>Best Ever Albums</title>
  <link>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/index.php</link>
  <description>&quot;I get by with a little help from my friends&quot; - The Beatles</description>
  <language>en</language>
  <ttl>1</ttl>
<item>
                            <title>Re: What's So Great About Bob Dylan</title>
                            <link>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234209#234209</link>
                            <description>Author: &lt;a href='https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=25916'&gt;Evandar&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          Posted: 07/29/2013 21:39&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;/span&gt;&lt;table class=&quot;bbquote-container&quot;&gt;&lt;tr&gt; 	  &lt;td class=&quot;text-left&quot;&gt;&lt;strong&gt;bananafish wrote:&lt;/strong&gt;&lt;/td&gt;	&lt;/tr&gt;	&lt;tr&gt;	  &lt;td class=&quot;bbquote&quot;&gt;I feel what you're saying.  I haven't listened to him much outside of the hits, so perhaps if I delved more into his work I could garner more of an appreciation for him.  Ironically, I think his son Jakob is one of the best vocalists ever.&lt;/td&gt;	&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;postbody&quot;&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Haha, I've heard some songs of Jakob's, not my thing, really, though his vocals seemed fine. I actually started with &quot;Another Side of Bob Dylan&quot; (not sure why, but I guess I must blame allmusic, as that was my main guide to new music at the time). In the beginning I didn't much like his voice, I had always had a very strong dislike for harmonica, and I'd never listened to anything even approaching folk music,  but somehow, he (very, very slowly and unevenly) managed to stir something in me, so I kept on trying. You know how it is, sometimes you just feel there's something intangible that makes you want to try more, and then finally you get it, and you feel so happy you didn't give up (though with certain other artists, it went the other way in the end, but that's part of exploring music).</description>
                            <comments>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234209#234209</comments>
                            <dc:creator>Evandar</dc:creator>
                            <pubDate>Mon, 29 Jul 2013 17:39:34 GMT</pubDate>
                            <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234209#234209</guid>
                          </item><item>
                            <title>Re: What's So Great About Bob Dylan</title>
                            <link>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234206#234206</link>
                            <description>Author: &lt;a href='https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=-1'&gt;Anonymous&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          Posted: 07/29/2013 21:20&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;/span&gt;&lt;table class=&quot;bbquote-container&quot;&gt;&lt;tr&gt; 	  &lt;td class=&quot;text-left&quot;&gt;&lt;strong&gt;Evandar wrote:&lt;/strong&gt;&lt;/td&gt;	&lt;/tr&gt;	&lt;tr&gt;	  &lt;td class=&quot;bbquote&quot;&gt;For me, aside from his mysteriously awesome songwriting skills, his voice is what really makes him my (maybe) favourite artist ever. While he technically can't compare to many other singers, he used what he had to make his songs come alive. His inflections and phrasings, not to mention all the different ways he went about it through his career, makes him not only completely unique, but also one of the most fascinating and interesting vocalists that ever walked this planet. By gods, even on his latest album he can still astound me with they way he chooses to utter his lyrics. &lt;span class=&quot;emoji&quot; title=&quot;Smile&quot;&gt;😄&lt;/span&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
All that said, I thought he was a whiny sheep the first few months I tried to understand him, so I understand that some people don't dig his voice. :D&lt;/td&gt;	&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;postbody&quot;&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
I feel what you're saying.  I haven't listened to him much outside of the hits, so perhaps if I delved more into his work I could garner more of an appreciation for him.  Ironically, I think his son Jakob is one of the best vocalists ever.</description>
                            <comments>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234206#234206</comments>
                            <dc:creator>Anonymous</dc:creator>
                            <pubDate>Mon, 29 Jul 2013 17:20:38 GMT</pubDate>
                            <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234206#234206</guid>
                          </item><item>
                            <title>Re: What's So Great About Bob Dylan</title>
                            <link>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234203#234203</link>
                            <description>Author: &lt;a href='https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=25916'&gt;Evandar&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          Posted: 07/29/2013 21:16&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;/span&gt;&lt;table class=&quot;bbquote-container&quot;&gt;&lt;tr&gt; 	  &lt;td class=&quot;text-left&quot;&gt;&lt;strong&gt;bananafish wrote:&lt;/strong&gt;&lt;/td&gt;	&lt;/tr&gt;	&lt;tr&gt;	  &lt;td class=&quot;bbquote&quot;&gt;I haven't read through the thread so sorry if I'm repeating anything already said...&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Dylan, in my view, is treated similar to The Beatles--some people feel obligated to like them because the media has been shoving it down our throats our whole lives that they're simply incomparable and any &quot;real&quot; music fan couldn't possibly not like them.  I'm not sure how Dylan achieved this level of admiration, but I definitely know hipsters who just seem to like Bob Dylan because he's Bob Dylan.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
I don't have anything against him really, just don't understand the hype.  His vocals suck.  There's nothing special about the instrumentals in his songs.  If you compared Dylan's instrumentals to say Genesis in the 1970s it would be like comparing a child to Beethoven.  I do like some of his songs.  &quot;Lay Lady Lay&quot; is on my let's get it on playlist.  :twisted:&lt;/td&gt;	&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;postbody&quot;&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
For me, aside from his mysteriously awesome songwriting skills, his voice is what really makes him my (maybe) favourite artist ever. While he technically can't compare to many other singers, he used what he had to make his songs come alive. His inflections and phrasings, not to mention all the different ways he went about it through his career, makes him not only completely unique, but also one of the most fascinating and interesting vocalists that ever walked this planet. By gods, even on his latest album he can still astound me with they way he chooses to utter his lyrics. &lt;span class=&quot;emoji&quot; title=&quot;Smile&quot;&gt;😄&lt;/span&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
All that said, I thought he was a whiny sheep the first few months I tried to understand him, so I understand that some people don't dig his voice. &lt;span class=&quot;emoji&quot; title=&quot;Very Happy&quot;&gt;😁&lt;/span&gt;</description>
                            <comments>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234203#234203</comments>
                            <dc:creator>Evandar</dc:creator>
                            <pubDate>Mon, 29 Jul 2013 17:16:03 GMT</pubDate>
                            <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234203#234203</guid>
                          </item><item>
                            <title>Re: What's So Great About Bob Dylan</title>
                            <link>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234196#234196</link>
                            <description>Author: &lt;a href='https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=-1'&gt;Anonymous&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          Posted: 07/29/2013 21:00&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          I haven't read through the thread so sorry if I'm repeating anything already said...&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Dylan, in my view, is treated similar to The Beatles--some people feel obligated to like them because the media has been shoving it down our throats our whole lives that they're simply incomparable and any &quot;real&quot; music fan couldn't possibly not like them.  I'm not sure how Dylan achieved this level of admiration, but I definitely know hipsters who just seem to like Bob Dylan because he's Bob Dylan.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
I don't have anything against him really, just don't understand the hype.  His vocals suck.  There's nothing special about the instrumentals in his songs.  If you compared Dylan's instrumentals to say Genesis in the 1970s it would be like comparing a child to Beethoven.  I do like some of his songs.  &quot;Lay Lady Lay&quot; is on my let's get it on playlist.  &lt;span class=&quot;emoji&quot; title=&quot;Twisted Evil&quot;&gt;😈&lt;/span&gt;</description>
                            <comments>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234196#234196</comments>
                            <dc:creator>Anonymous</dc:creator>
                            <pubDate>Mon, 29 Jul 2013 17:00:02 GMT</pubDate>
                            <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234196#234196</guid>
                          </item><item>
                            <title>Re: What's So Great About Bob Dylan</title>
                            <link>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234187#234187</link>
                            <description>Author: &lt;a href='https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=25916'&gt;Evandar&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          Posted: 07/29/2013 20:28&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;/span&gt;&lt;table class=&quot;bbquote-container&quot;&gt;&lt;tr&gt; 	  &lt;td class=&quot;text-left&quot;&gt;&lt;strong&gt;meruizh wrote:&lt;/strong&gt;&lt;/td&gt;	&lt;/tr&gt;	&lt;tr&gt;	  &lt;td class=&quot;bbquote&quot;&gt;He's is a good guy. He's Ego is too big, honestly I saw him live a year ago, and I can say it was one of the weirdest gigs I ever been too... By weird I mean... I'll never see that guy live again.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Great tunes, a discography to be considered legendary... but.. Pink Floys or The Beatles are on top of him for me, as of everything (music, lyrics, live performance)&lt;/td&gt;	&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;postbody&quot;&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Well, in recent years (meaning since the 90s, I'm sure, haha) going to a Dylan gig can be like going to a &quot;guess what song this is&quot;-competition. &lt;span class=&quot;emoji&quot; title=&quot;Very Happy&quot;&gt;😁&lt;/span&gt; I've never seen him live, but I have watched many a youtube clip, and not only do the song arrangements change regularly, but with his current voice, it can be hard to pick out the melody and realize what song it is. &lt;span class=&quot;emoji&quot; title=&quot;Very Happy&quot;&gt;😁&lt;/span&gt; So I'm sure you had a weird gig. :p</description>
                            <comments>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234187#234187</comments>
                            <dc:creator>Evandar</dc:creator>
                            <pubDate>Mon, 29 Jul 2013 16:28:31 GMT</pubDate>
                            <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234187#234187</guid>
                          </item><item>
                            <title>Re: What's So Great About Bob Dylan</title>
                            <link>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234150#234150</link>
                            <description>Author: &lt;a href='https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=18230'&gt;meruizh&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          Posted: 07/29/2013 13:29&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          He's is a good guy. He's Ego is too big, honestly I saw him live a year ago, and I can say it was one of the weirdest gigs I ever been too... By weird I mean... I'll never see that guy live again.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Great tunes, a discography to be considered legendary... but.. Pink Floys or The Beatles are on top of him for me, as of everything (music, lyrics, live performance)</description>
                            <comments>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234150#234150</comments>
                            <dc:creator>meruizh</dc:creator>
                            <pubDate>Mon, 29 Jul 2013 09:29:47 GMT</pubDate>
                            <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234150#234150</guid>
                          </item><item>
                            <title>Re: What's So Great About Bob Dylan</title>
                            <link>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234039#234039</link>
                            <description>Author: &lt;a href='https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=26844'&gt;edubs&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          Posted: 07/28/2013 12:55&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          You have to put Dylan into historical context to appreciate what he represents and how he fundamentally shifted the entire landscape of rock and popular music.&lt;br /&gt;
He took tales of the human condition, and experiences, struggles and strife and the type of personal lyrics found in folk music - cranked it up a notch and put it into rock music.&lt;br /&gt;
Instead of lyrical tripe - endless love songs, silly songs and the like, Dylan gave us social commentary and meaning that was ground-breaking.&lt;br /&gt;
You want to understand what sets Bob Dylan apart - go to the album &quot;The Times They Are a-Changin'&quot; and immerse yourself in the lyrics.&lt;br /&gt;
The title track is an anthem for a generation.&lt;br /&gt;
&quot;Ballad of Hollis Brown&quot; - is a chilling tale - a throw-back/nod to the kind of hard times tale that Woodie Guthrie weaved about the Dust Bowl.&lt;br /&gt;
The sone &quot;With God On Our Side&quot; is stunning lyrically.  You can't compare silly-ass lyrics like &quot;two girls for every boy&quot; and most of the pop lyric garbage to a song like this.&lt;br /&gt;
&quot;Only a Pawn in Their Game&quot; - again - a level of thinking about cultural/political/racial issues beyond what others could imagine.&lt;br /&gt;
&quot;When The Ship Comes In&quot; - another classic that uses such beautiful imagery.&lt;br /&gt;
&quot;The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll&quot; - can't even describe how f'n good this song is - emotional, moving ... putting into powerful words the issue of abuse of power/wealth/status ... Nobody writes songs like this - this came from another dimension/planet in comparison to 99.9% of music.&lt;br /&gt;
This is just ONE Dylan album - ONE ... on which he proves to be 100X the competition.  And this isn't an album universally praised as one of his best.</description>
                            <comments>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234039#234039</comments>
                            <dc:creator>edubs</dc:creator>
                            <pubDate>Sun, 28 Jul 2013 08:55:18 GMT</pubDate>
                            <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234039#234039</guid>
                          </item><item>
                            <title>Re: What's So Great About Bob Dylan</title>
                            <link>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213454#213454</link>
                            <description>Author: &lt;a href='https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=24736'&gt;Jasonconfused&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          Posted: 05/28/2013 18:36&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;/span&gt;&lt;table class=&quot;bbquote-container&quot;&gt;&lt;tr&gt; 	  &lt;td class=&quot;text-left&quot;&gt;&lt;strong&gt;junodog4 wrote:&lt;/strong&gt;&lt;/td&gt;	&lt;/tr&gt;	&lt;tr&gt;	  &lt;td class=&quot;bbquote&quot;&gt;I know I'm adding to what many have already said, but I have to emphasize, since so many have missed the point:  There's more to Bob Dylan's genius than lyrics.  He wrote great music as well.&lt;/td&gt;	&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;postbody&quot;&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Exactly. Do people actually think that Bob Dylan would be as popular as he is if his lyrics were accompanied by shitty music?</description>
                            <comments>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213454#213454</comments>
                            <dc:creator>Jasonconfused</dc:creator>
                            <pubDate>Tue, 28 May 2013 14:36:18 GMT</pubDate>
                            <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213454#213454</guid>
                          </item><item>
                            <title>Re: What's So Great About Bob Dylan</title>
                            <link>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213452#213452</link>
                            <description>Author: &lt;a href='https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=21128'&gt;junodog4&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          Posted: 05/28/2013 18:22&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          I know I'm adding to what many have already said, but I have to emphasize, since so many have missed the point:  There's more to Bob Dylan's genius than lyrics.  He wrote great music as well.</description>
                            <comments>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213452#213452</comments>
                            <dc:creator>junodog4</dc:creator>
                            <pubDate>Tue, 28 May 2013 14:22:37 GMT</pubDate>
                            <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213452#213452</guid>
                          </item><item>
                            <title>Re: What's So Great About Bob Dylan</title>
                            <link>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213449#213449</link>
                            <description>Author: &lt;a href='https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=25916'&gt;Evandar&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          Posted: 05/28/2013 18:13&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          Norman Bates' seems to be the definitive reply here, I at least have nothing to add to that.</description>
                            <comments>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213449#213449</comments>
                            <dc:creator>Evandar</dc:creator>
                            <pubDate>Tue, 28 May 2013 14:13:00 GMT</pubDate>
                            <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213449#213449</guid>
                          </item><item>
                            <title>Re: What's So Great About Bob Dylan</title>
                            <link>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213356#213356</link>
                            <description>Author: &lt;a href='https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=25814'&gt;CaptainFicus&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          Posted: 05/28/2013 05:42&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          I'm kind of in the middle. i think he's a great lyricist, but not the greatest ever. I think he has good/great songs, but not the best ever. he is very talented but a bit overrated IMO&lt;br /&gt;
What bothers me is people getting shit all over just for not praising bob dylan as the king of music</description>
                            <comments>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213356#213356</comments>
                            <dc:creator>CaptainFicus</dc:creator>
                            <pubDate>Tue, 28 May 2013 01:42:51 GMT</pubDate>
                            <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213356#213356</guid>
                          </item><item>
                            <title>Re: What's So Great About Bob Dylan</title>
                            <link>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213281#213281</link>
                            <description>Author: &lt;a href='https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=17182'&gt;hairymarx1&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          Posted: 05/28/2013 00:33&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;/span&gt;&lt;table class=&quot;bbquote-container&quot;&gt;&lt;tr&gt; 	  &lt;td class=&quot;text-left&quot;&gt;&lt;strong&gt;Applerill wrote:&lt;/strong&gt;&lt;/td&gt;	&lt;/tr&gt;	&lt;tr&gt;	  &lt;td class=&quot;bbquote&quot;&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
What I want to know is, take away his grasp of the English language, and his cultural significance, and what is special about the music itself (including his voice).&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;/td&gt;	&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;postbody&quot;&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Not much really, although on Highway 61, the rhythm section is pretty awesome.</description>
                            <comments>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213281#213281</comments>
                            <dc:creator>hairymarx1</dc:creator>
                            <pubDate>Mon, 27 May 2013 20:33:21 GMT</pubDate>
                            <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213281#213281</guid>
                          </item><item>
                            <title>Re: What's So Great About Bob Dylan</title>
                            <link>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213270#213270</link>
                            <description>Author: &lt;a href='https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=26198'&gt;sulmagnificent&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          Posted: 05/27/2013 23:23&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;/span&gt;&lt;table class=&quot;bbquote-container&quot;&gt;&lt;tr&gt; 	  &lt;td class=&quot;text-left&quot;&gt;&lt;strong&gt;Mod wrote:&lt;/strong&gt;&lt;/td&gt;	&lt;/tr&gt;	&lt;tr&gt;	  &lt;td class=&quot;bbquote&quot;&gt;I think it's the fact that he is a multi-instrumentalist, playing all guitars, harmonica, keyboards, and vocals at the same time in some songs, mainly 'Like A Rolling Stone'. If you listen carefully, every keyboard played, every rhythm guitar played, every harmonica played, and every lyric sung is his doing. All in a six-minute song. I think that makes him so brilliant, just like Sufjan Stevens. (Don't confuse what I am saying, the piano intro is NOT Dylan, it's all the organy stuff in the bridge).&lt;/td&gt;	&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;postbody&quot;&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Wait I thought Al Kooper did that famous bridge in the keyboard in Like Rolling Stone, I thought that in the beginning, before Kooper added it, there was no organ in the song?</description>
                            <comments>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213270#213270</comments>
                            <dc:creator>sulmagnificent</dc:creator>
                            <pubDate>Mon, 27 May 2013 19:23:23 GMT</pubDate>
                            <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213270#213270</guid>
                          </item><item>
                            <title>Re: What's So Great About Bob Dylan</title>
                            <link>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213267#213267</link>
                            <description>Author: &lt;a href='https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=24660'&gt;SuedeSwede&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          Posted: 05/27/2013 23:10&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          I think it's the fact that he is a multi-instrumentalist, playing all guitars, harmonica, keyboards, and vocals at the same time in some songs, mainly 'Like A Rolling Stone'. If you listen carefully, every keyboard played, every rhythm guitar played, every harmonica played, and every lyric sung is his doing. All in a six-minute song. I think that makes him so brilliant, just like Sufjan Stevens. (Don't confuse what I am saying, the piano intro is NOT Dylan, it's all the organy stuff in the bridge).&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
However, I see your point. There isn't much to him other than the lyrics, and people do like him mainly for the folky lyrics that tell stories. However, I think his voice is rather beautiful in Blood on the Tracks and Blonde on Blonde, and his musical ability is top-notch, but I do see where you're coming from, and I do acknowledge and respect your dearest opinion.</description>
                            <comments>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213267#213267</comments>
                            <dc:creator>SuedeSwede</dc:creator>
                            <pubDate>Mon, 27 May 2013 19:10:48 GMT</pubDate>
                            <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213267#213267</guid>
                          </item><item>
                            <title>Re: What's So Great About Bob Dylan</title>
                            <link>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213170#213170</link>
                            <description>Author: &lt;a href='https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=20402'&gt;Facetious&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          Posted: 05/27/2013 16:31&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          I admit I might be among the biggest fans of Highway 61 Revisited on BEA, but I might not be among the very biggest Dylan fans. I haven't heard that much of his discography, but I admit even on his great albums he can be...not completely consistent I guess. If I try to write something that defends him, it usually ends up becoming more about his very best albums than about him generally really.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
I do agree with his good qualities which have so far been pointed out, good effort guys.</description>
                            <comments>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213170#213170</comments>
                            <dc:creator>Facetious</dc:creator>
                            <pubDate>Mon, 27 May 2013 12:31:53 GMT</pubDate>
                            <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213170#213170</guid>
                          </item><item>
                            <title>Re: What's So Great About Bob Dylan</title>
                            <link>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213136#213136</link>
                            <description>Author: &lt;a href='https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=19447'&gt;Robert Anton Wilson&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          Posted: 05/27/2013 14:21&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;/span&gt;&lt;table class=&quot;bbquote-container&quot;&gt;&lt;tr&gt; 	  &lt;td class=&quot;text-left&quot;&gt;&lt;strong&gt;Applerill wrote:&lt;/strong&gt;&lt;/td&gt;	&lt;/tr&gt;	&lt;tr&gt;	  &lt;td class=&quot;bbquote&quot;&gt;What I want to know is, take away his grasp of the English language, and his cultural significance, and what is special about the music itself (including his voice).&lt;/td&gt;	&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;postbody&quot;&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Take away the hats and sunglasses he wears also.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
I agree that if you take away all of the songs he ever composed, music he recorded, albums he put out, charities he funded, bottles of alcohol he drank and radio shows he's produced, I too am at a loss to see what is special about him. He still remains the father of the Wallflowers guy I guess. Oh! and take away his mouth organ too.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
It is quite tough to answer a question of what makes an artist special is you take away some of the top qualities for which he is known. I mean take away from Obama the fact that he his president and alive, what is so special about him. I dunno? His wife and kids maybe?&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Ah well, here is the guy who asked everybody to stop thread bashing not finding anything better to say.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
You asked what is different between Bob, Pink Floyd, The Dead and the Beatles taking away his grasp of the English language and cultural significance, well the first thing that springs to mind is the fact that he released his first album before all of these acts and he is still releasing albums now long after all of these acts have been put to rest - and his latest albums are relevant, contemporary and new compositions, not greatest hits or rehashing of what he used to do. That has to count for something.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Then there is always the hats and the sunglasses.</description>
                            <comments>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213136#213136</comments>
                            <dc:creator>Robert Anton Wilson</dc:creator>
                            <pubDate>Mon, 27 May 2013 10:21:10 GMT</pubDate>
                            <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213136#213136</guid>
                          </item><item>
                            <title>Re: What's So Great About Bob Dylan</title>
                            <link>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213065#213065</link>
                            <description>Author: &lt;a href='https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=-1'&gt;Anonymous&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          Posted: 05/27/2013 03:51&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          The answer's plain and simple: his lyrics.  I'm not into his music, but I have to admit his lyrics are brilliant.</description>
                            <comments>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213065#213065</comments>
                            <dc:creator>Anonymous</dc:creator>
                            <pubDate>Sun, 26 May 2013 23:51:05 GMT</pubDate>
                            <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213065#213065</guid>
                          </item><item>
                            <title>Re: What's So Great About Bob Dylan</title>
                            <link>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213043#213043</link>
                            <description>Author: &lt;a href='https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=16211'&gt;Bork&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          Posted: 05/27/2013 02:32&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          You, Sir, are no gentleman.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
That aside, I guess the question is as fair a question as any unfair question. In the end, if you like it you do, if you don't you don't. If you find it ok but not worth writing home about, that's what it is to you. What I'm tryin' to say in a most convoluted way is that you may have a good and honest question but at the same time it can't be answered. When I hear the Bob at his best I find every single chord and every stray note placed at just the right pitch, tone and position. Any part of it can be taken out, the unconventional and slightly misplaced voice, the traditional and simple yet slightly off boom-chick strumming, or the lyrics that are sometimes so wrapped up in themselves that you don't know what the hell they mean but it still sounds good. At it's worst (which is still pretty decent) it is just any old singer/songwriter and can turn quite tedious. Fortunately his high points are so high, and through the 60's and 70's so consistent, that his lows can be forgiven.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Probably not the answer, but it's all I got.</description>
                            <comments>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213043#213043</comments>
                            <dc:creator>Bork</dc:creator>
                            <pubDate>Sun, 26 May 2013 22:32:32 GMT</pubDate>
                            <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=213043#213043</guid>
                          </item><item>
                            <title>Re: What's So Great About Bob Dylan</title>
                            <link>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=212991#212991</link>
                            <description>Author: &lt;a href='https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=-1'&gt;Anonymous&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          Posted: 05/26/2013 22:04&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;/span&gt;&lt;table class=&quot;bbquote-container&quot;&gt;&lt;tr&gt; 	  &lt;td class=&quot;text-left&quot;&gt;&lt;strong&gt;ppnw wrote:&lt;/strong&gt;&lt;/td&gt;	&lt;/tr&gt;	&lt;tr&gt;	  &lt;td class=&quot;bbquote&quot;&gt;I like Dylan a lot, especially &lt;span style=&quot;font-style: italic&quot;&gt;Tangled Up in Blue&lt;/span&gt;, but I much prefer other songwriters like Neil Young, Nick Drake, Joanna Newsom, Van Morrison, etc. I've always felt that Dylan's lyrics and especially his delivery were emotionally sterile &lt;span style=&quot;font-style: italic&quot;&gt;most&lt;/span&gt; of the time. His music is great but not transcendental. Ultimately, he simply does not click with my aesthetic channels in the same way as other musicians. I will say, though I hate throwing the term around and will likely regret it, that I think his lyrics are horribly overrated; this is because for a few years now he has been considered a serious contender for the Nobel Prize in Literature by a few gambling organizations. To me, believing Dylan's lyrics achieve a level of genius reserved for (and often denied) the greatest living literary figures is absolutely absurd.&lt;/td&gt;	&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;&lt;span class=&quot;postbody&quot;&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;
Agreed that it's absurd to believe Dylan's lyrics to be comparable with some of the great literary figures, but I do think he excels in his field to a point beyond most others. I find it hard to see Dylan's lyrics as being &quot;overrated&quot;, because I think they're the greatest &lt;span style=&quot;font-style: italic&quot;&gt;song lyrics&lt;/span&gt; of all-time, but I'm not sure that comparing them to the work of some of the great novelists, playwrights and poets is necessarily &lt;span style=&quot;font-style: italic&quot;&gt;overrating&lt;/span&gt; them, rather just creating unjust and largely bizarre competition between works from two totally different art forms. I don't sit down to read Bob Dylan's lyrics from a page as that is not how they were intended to be consumed, and not how the songs work best; similarly, I've never imagined anything from &lt;span style=&quot;font-style: italic&quot;&gt;Death of a Naturalist&lt;/span&gt; set to music, nor do I want to and certainly not if Seamus himself were to play said music. As far as song lyrics go, I think Dylan worked (during his peak years) on a higher plane than most songwriters are even capable of. I do understand the argument that his music can come off as &quot;emotionally sterile&quot;, and it's one I've heard before, but ultimately how much emotion we glean from and feel because of a song changes from listener to listener. I dunno, he's just a superb songwriter. I think he's the best ever, but there's no right answer. But yeah, comparison to artists of the printed word is quite obviously absurd, totally futile, and unfair on both sides.</description>
                            <comments>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=212991#212991</comments>
                            <dc:creator>Anonymous</dc:creator>
                            <pubDate>Sun, 26 May 2013 18:04:15 GMT</pubDate>
                            <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=212991#212991</guid>
                          </item><item>
                            <title>Re: What's So Great About Bob Dylan</title>
                            <link>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=212985#212985</link>
                            <description>Author: &lt;a href='https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=-1'&gt;Anonymous&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          Posted: 05/26/2013 21:36&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
                          I like Dylan a lot, especially &lt;span style=&quot;font-style: italic&quot;&gt;Tangled Up in Blue&lt;/span&gt;, but I much prefer other songwriters like Neil Young, Nick Drake, Joanna Newsom, Van Morrison, etc. I've always felt that Dylan's lyrics and especially his delivery were emotionally sterile &lt;span style=&quot;font-style: italic&quot;&gt;most&lt;/span&gt; of the time. His music is great but not transcendental. Ultimately, he simply does not click with my aesthetic channels in the same way as other musicians. I will say, though I hate throwing the term around and will likely regret it, that I think his lyrics are horribly overrated; this is because for a few years now he has been considered a serious contender for the Nobel Prize in Literature by a few gambling organizations. To me, believing Dylan's lyrics achieve a level of genius reserved for (and often denied) the greatest living literary figures is absolutely absurd.</description>
                            <comments>https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=212985#212985</comments>
                            <dc:creator>Anonymous</dc:creator>
                            <pubDate>Sun, 26 May 2013 17:36:34 GMT</pubDate>
                            <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.besteveralbums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=212985#212985</guid>
                          </item></channel></rss>