New albums/data moderation

View previous topic :: View next topic
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 05/07/2012 14:42
  • Post subject: New albums/data moderation
Hello, I have a question considering May's update. We can read this:

albummaster wrote:
users will no longer be able to add more than 40 'new' albums to the site within a three day period (unless they help out with data moderation

I'd like to know if moderating your own 'new' albums counts as data moderation, and therefore allows one to go beyond the estabmished threshold? Or does one have to moderate a certain amount of 'new' album data besides one's own to be allowed to enter more than the threshold?

With year charts available, I can easily imagine that, even if I limit myself to 20 a year (which is what I intend to do), I stand good chances to add more than 40 in 3 days: my year charts have been ready for quite some time now. Of course, I could just add, like, 5 years a week for a certain amount of weeks, but I wanted to post them all so that I could change from time to time, whenever I listen or re-listen to something which I think deserves an entry. Considering I take good care of moderating my own 'new' albums data, I'm wondering if it would be OK, or do I have to wait?

In any case, it's not that it matters much. I can wait of course. But if there's a definite rule on this, I'd be happy to know it.

Anyhow, great addition, these year charts; thanks a lot albummaster! Great job, as always.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/07/2012 15:07
  • Post subject: Re: New albums/data moderation
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, editing your own albums definitely counts as moderation.

At the moment, you can add up to 40 new albums within a three day period without needing to do any moderation at all. On the 'edit chart' page, the system now checks in the background to see how many mod points you have earned in that period, and if your total exceeds this threshold*, you will be able to create as many new albums as you like.

To be honest, it doesn't happen very often that someone goes over the limit (maybe one or two people a week), but with year charts (& soon 'fun' charts) there is a greater potential for lots of 'new' albums to be added to the site, and this mechanism seems a fair way of managing the problem.

(*The current threshold is set at five mod points per 'new' album, but this might be tweaked a bit over the next few weeks once it has had a chance to bed in).
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 05/07/2012 15:24
  • Post subject: Re: New albums/data moderation
albummaster wrote:
with year charts (& soon 'fun' charts) there is a greater potential for lots of 'new' albums to be added to the site, and this mechanism seems a fair way of managing the problem.

Absolutely makes sense. Thanks for the answer!
  • Visit poster's website