Merriweather Post Pavilion vs Veckatimest

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which is the best ?
Merriweather Post Pavilion (Animal Collective)
76%
 76%  [10]
Veckatimest (Grizzly Bear)
23%
 23%  [3]
Total Votes : 13

Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 10/26/2009 11:55
  • Post subject:
Quote:
so there you go.

Laughing

? A mistake ?
  • Visit poster's website
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 10/26/2009 20:26
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
Quote:
so there you go.

Laughing

? A mistake ?

Non, c'était tout à fait correct, mais c'était une déclaration un peu péremptoire pour terminer ton message.

Sorry guys for the french, there's nothing rude or offensive or remotely interesting for this topic, we were just getting lost in translation. And I'm too tired (or getting lazy) for spontaneous english. Won't happen again. Embarassed
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 10/26/2009 21:10
  • Post subject:
C'est péremptoire parce qu'à partir du moment où c'est une question de goût, que veux-tu dire une fois que tu as déjà expliqué ce que tu préférais et pourquoi ?
Sorry guys for the French etc., won't happen etc.
  • Visit poster's website
maxperenchio

• Posted: 10/29/2009 20:24
  • Post subject:
Obviously I would say MPP - plus I think Grizzly Bear is a little cheeks. I saw both of them live at the Pitchfork Music Festival in Chicago; watching Grizzly Bear live is one of the most stock bullshit-indie experiences ever- the kind of band that plays instruments they really shouldn't/can't play. I put my hand over my face when the lead singer started playing a reverberated recorder. I will admit their album is pulled off more successfully though.

I had the same conversation with a friend about MPP being "innovative" or not. Even if it has some foundation in Wilsonesque melodies or Psychocandy textures, it doesnt really approach them in a retro way at all. Its certainly forward thinking, by no means a "tribute" album or whatever. It won't be remembered for reinventing music, but I'd say its a glimpse into what interesting music will sound like in the next few years. What else sounds like Lion in a Coma or Daily Routine?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 11/16/2009 08:28
  • Post subject:
A couple of weeks ago I would have said MPP was much better than Veckatimest. That has now changed. With repeated listens MPP has lost its appeal to me. Veckatimest, which was not initially as exciting as MPP, seems to have staying power.

MPP is an overrated progrock album. During the past couple of weeks I've been listening to some old progrock "classics" from Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Genesis, Moody Blues, Yes etcetera. IMO Animal Collective isn't good enough to be mentioned in their company.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 11/16/2009 13:33
  • Post subject:
Freddie55 wrote:

MPP is an overrated progrock album. During the past couple of weeks I've been listening to some old progrock "classics" from Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Genesis, Moody Blues, Yes etcetera. IMO Animal Collective isn't good enough to be mentioned in their company.

MPP is progrock now? I don't get that classification at all. They barely use guitars on that album, which makes a rock classification a stretch. Comparing them to those classic prog bands is apples and oranges, man. You have to look at their music in more of a progressive pop/neo-psychedelic context-- Mercury Rev, Flaming Lips, Bjork, stuff like that.
  • Visit poster's website
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 11/16/2009 17:18
  • Post subject:
[quote="joannajewsom"]

Joanna, I am not a music expert and I'll grant you any classification that you prefer to use. I personally hear the strong influence of the classic prog rock groups in Animal Collective's MPP programming and I hear MPP in that context. If violin, flute, clarinet-type sounds were programmed on a computer in a multitude of layers then I would compare it to a symphony.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 11/16/2009 21:01
  • Post subject:
What's progressive rock about it? The lack of jazz influences? The pop, not classical, sense of melody? The lack of emphasis on the seldom used guitars? The lack of odd time signatures?
  • Visit poster's website
Boogn1sh

• Posted: 11/17/2009 05:10
  • Post subject:
I definitely pick MPP, but It's absolutely NOT prog, sorry. Prog is about virtuoso musicianship, noodling guitar solos, side long tracks...Animal Collective shares none of these aspects. Animal Collective does share a lot of qualities with a lot of different artists, but just because it confuses you or sounds complicated does not make it prog. AC shouldn't get mentioned in the company of Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Genesis, Moody Blues, or Yes because they don't have a damn thing in common with them. If almost every song on your album has a chorus, prog you are not.
  • Visit poster's website
ctsimcox

• Posted: 11/19/2009 02:06
  • Post subject:
Merriweather Post Pavillion easy, i dont think im even going to put Veckatimest in my top ten of 09