Studio Quality vs Live Performance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 06/03/2012 14:14
  • Post subject:
I saw a local folk band play live and they were enchanting, but in my opinion their music didn't have anywhere near the same effect when recorded. On tape, it lacked an sounded flat and unengaging. Not the band's fault at all; their music was just suited to live performance. Makes me wonder how many bands I've listened to and haven't liked, that I'd actually really enjoy live if I had the chance.
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2012 14:20
  • Post subject:
Some bands are better live and some bands are better in the studio. Overall, I have a lot more patience and am more open-minded and patient towards a live band than I am with listening to an album at home. For me to buy the CD, the music has to be pretty damn good and also has to surpass its influences. In other words, if I have music already by groups another group is practically imitating, there's no point in adding their music to my collection.
  • Visit poster's website
Mirek

Poland

• Posted: 06/03/2012 14:47
  • Post subject:
BrilliantDisguise wrote:
My opinion is that a band/artist should be able to play live otherwise is just a trick of editing or arranging or sound enhancements.

100% agree
  • Visit poster's website
BlueNote

• Posted: 06/03/2012 21:45
  • Post subject:
Mother Nature's Son wrote:
Probably yes! How would you say it out loud? Exclamation point, exclamation point, exclamation point? :-k

I believe it is pronounced "Ch, Ch, Ch." That's what I was told by someone who knows more about those sorts of things than I do.
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 06/08/2012 03:11
  • Post subject:
Two bands that are somewhat similar, yet totally different outcomes on this issue:

Guns and Roses - I quite enjoy Appetite, and while Use Your Illusion I+II gets a little bloated, there are moments of pure quality. I hardly ever get tired of the studio efforts that GnR has put on album. However, every time I've seen them (mind you, it is without Slash and others) they have been brutal live. Axel's voice doesn't hold up, they always start late, they leave huge 15 minute + silent breaks in their set, and they act like the crowd owes them something. Always disappointing.

Aerosmith - Very similar in sound. Decent albums, if sometimes becoming too rock-ballady or schmaltzy. However, in concert, these boys ALWAYS put on a show. They interact with the crowd, their musicianship steps up, and they play off the evening's energy. You end up appreciating the meaning, fun and general quality of their tracks. I have always been entertained by Aerosmith.
  • Visit poster's website