Album of the day (#594): Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/02/2012 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#594): Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos
Today's album of the day

Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos (View album)

Year: 1992.
Overall rank: 321.
Average rating: 78/100 (from 117 votes).

Tracks:
1. Crucify
2. Girl
3. Silent All These Years
4. Precious Things
5. Winter
6. Happy Phantom
7. China
8. Leather
9. Mother
10. Tear In Your Hand
11. Me And A Gun
12. Little Earthquakes

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 07/02/2012 20:17
  • Post subject:
This album changed my life forever. Sure, there were albums (even critically legitimate ones) that I loved to death before this (I was a huge NIN fan, and adored Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, and Rush, among many others); but when I first heard Tori's majestic, smoldering voice on April 20, 2009, my whole idea of what music was changed entirely.

I remember the day perfectly. It was the ten year anniversary of Columbine, but leave that alone for now. I had just broken up with one of the most amazing women I've ever met, who happened to be four years older than me, and would later win Miss Wisconsin several years in a row. While I at first was able to handle it with a straight face, I was quickly becoming more and more depressed about it, and I needed a way out.

Because of a wedding shower a family friend of ours was holding at our spacious home, my ex-girlfriend (named Hannah) visited. And being a guy at this wedding shower, she and all her lady friends would have lots of fun together, while I was essentially locked in my room without her. I was absolutely devastated. But then I remembered her telling me about an album called Little Earthquakes, so I looked it up on iTunes, and fell in love instantly. It was almost like I didn't need a girlfriend anymore; this girl's voice was enough to keep me sane.

While the confessions that Tori makes are what this album is mostly known for, I've found that the other perfect element here is the stark minimalism. Aside from the piano obviously, every backing instrument and sound effect is there for a very poignant reason, and therefore, the sounds they make are almost lyrics in and of themselves! This ranges from the DSOTM-esque drum-machine heartbeats throughout the record, to the screeching guitar that accompanies Tori's nightmare in "Leather", to the mystic chants that end the record on the title track. I've surely listened to this album over a hundred times, and it seems like every one of those times, I thought it was better than the last.

Yes, there is a teensy bit of filler in the 55 minutes (for "Mother" goes on for about a minute too long, as does "China"). But everything else is so remarkably pristine that I wouldn't want it any other way.

Last edited by Applerill on 07/03/2012 00:28; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
thejoj96

• Posted: 07/02/2012 20:19
  • Post subject:
SEOCND!!!!!
This album is an album.
Mexes87

Denmark

• Posted: 07/02/2012 22:04
  • Post subject:
One of the greatest album by a female artist ever. Crucify and Winter are classics.
Bach

Italy

• Posted: 07/02/2012 22:26
  • Post subject:
Great Album!

Best tracks: "Winter", "Crucify", "Girl", "Silent All These Years", "China", "Precious Things".
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 07/02/2012 23:44
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
I had just broken up with one of the most amazing women I've ever met, who happened to be four years older than men

Wait...what the fuck? Wouldn't you have been 14 in 2009? or at the very most, 15?

Anyywayy, yeah. This album is ah-mazing. Just absolute songwriting and so ahead of the game in 1992. I can never decide what my favourite track is it's between about 6 or 7 of them. But I have to disagree with you about the minimalism on this Apple, I find it pretty lush and huge (Unlike say when compared with The Idler Wheel which is crazy sparse) and the production is just beautiful.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 07/03/2012 00:27
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Wait...what the fuck? Wouldn't you have been 14 in 2009? or at the very most, 15?

Anyywayy, yeah. This album is ah-mazing. Just absolute songwriting and so ahead of the game in 1992. I can never decide what my favourite track is it's between about 6 or 7 of them. But I have to disagree with you about the minimalism on this Apple, I find it pretty lush and huge (Unlike say when compared with The Idler Wheel which is crazy sparse) and the production is just beautiful.

....Yeah... She was 18 when I was 14.... Smile

Actually, to be honest, even though we went on several dates together (I even took her to a fancy steak place for her birthday, and obviously paid), we technically weren't in an actual relationship (due to the law and everything). But of course, as certain people may have discussed in a similar way on Skype, not-real relationships are the worst things to let go of Embarassed Crying or Very sad
  • Visit poster's website
ProfessorSquid

United States

• Posted: 07/03/2012 02:20
  • Post subject:
Apple's got some skills. Nice work, young man.

The Swizz
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/03/2012 13:01
  • Post subject:
Laughing @ Applerill's story.

As for the album, I like it Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 07/04/2012 11:15
  • Post subject:
Haven't listened to this for a couple of years. I'll give it another listen soon-ish, because Applerill raves about it (which is also the reason I listened to it in the first place). Razz
  • Visit poster's website