Record shops

View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Do you support your local independent record shop(s)
Yes
50%
 50%  [11]
No
18%
 18%  [4]
There are no independent record shops within easy travelling of my home.
31%
 31%  [7]
Total Votes : 22

lancashirearab
A Porky Prime Cut

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/08/2012 08:20
  • Post subject: Record shops
Yesterday I was in X Records in Bolton browsing through their vinyl. It is a great little shop and is worth a visit as it contains many gems hidden amongst the stock. I managed to find two long-deleted Nightingales 12" singles and an original T Rex The Slider LP.

When I was talking to the owner of the shop he was comlaining that too few people from Bolton actually visited his shop. Most of the customers, like myself, had travelled specifically to visit the shop. He wished that more locals used the shop instead of downloading, using Amazon or visiting HMV. If that happened, he said he would be able to stock an even wider range of music (it is already pretty good) and be more competitive with his pricing. Ity is such a great shop, that I couldn't understand why locals shunned it.

Is this common? I would assume that the people that frequent this site buy plenty of music. I wondered if they support their local independents.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 07/08/2012 09:03
  • Post subject:
Most local independent store for me is 200kms away. I love to support local stores, especially when I was in Adelaide but now, online or when I travel to a big town is the only way I get physical music. And I spend about a hour just wandering.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 07/08/2012 09:17
  • Post subject:
Best Music Place... Ever:

http://www.amoeba.com/

Used to live nearby and got the best vinyl and other finds.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/08/2012 18:13
  • Post subject:
I actually insist on purchasing all my albums as opposed to downloading them, so it's unfortunately not very practical for me to collect albums on vinyl, as much as I'd like to Sad There also aren't many record shops near where I live with terribly great selections.
btener11
Expert Treasure Hunter

United States

• Posted: 07/08/2012 19:31
  • Post subject:
I really wish I could have answered yes, but with the ease or buying music online, I have not been to the record store very often in the past decade or so. It's too bad, it's a shame...but that's how it is. It's gotten so bad that a friend once applauded me for even paying for my music at all Shocked

I'm saddened but the way things are but I'm also unapologetic. With progress comes the loss of the inefficient, sentimental favorites, the "Mom & Pop" shops, etc. I simply have no use, and almost no space, for all the physical "compact" discs that would be required to fill out my album collection, which is massive and nearly 100% digital.

As a kid in the Boston area, I was a loyal supporter of Newbury Comics for nearly a decade. Hopefully that will be sufficient for clearing my conscience, because it's too late for the record shops...
Le_Samurai

• Posted: 07/08/2012 19:55
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Best Music Place... Ever:

http://www.amoeba.com/

Used to live nearby and got the best vinyl and other finds.

Totally agree. I went to San Francisco last summer and they're two stores in the area were the highlight of my trip. But where I live, I only know of two good record stores: Soundgarden in Baltimore and then this one that has two different stores called CD Cellar. I frequent CD Cellar more because it's right next to my house and the staff who work there aren't jerks. I'm actually really surprised that the DC area doesn't have more (or at least good ones).