Joy Divison

View previous topic :: View next topic
dp39

• Posted: 01/05/2010 06:41
  • Post subject: Joy Divison
Listening to Closer and Unknown Pleasures I have trouble understanding what all the fuss is about. But i know there are some big time JD fans on this site, so maybe you can explain to me why JD is so great and what all the fuss is about. I want to enjoy the albums, and I understand a bit of what they are about, Ian Curtis and his problems and what not. Maybe I'm just not 'getting it' yet.
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 01/05/2010 07:13
  • Post subject:
You can watch these:

Link

Link

The other parts are on youtube. I watched both of these back when I was first getting into them and they helped (I prefer the 2nd). Control is also a pretty good movie.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 01/05/2010 12:31
  • Post subject: Re: Joy Divison
dp39 wrote:
Listening to Closer and Unknown Pleasures I have trouble understanding what all the fuss is about. But i know there are some big time JD fans on this site, so maybe you can explain to me why JD is so great and what all the fuss is about. I want to enjoy the albums, and I understand a bit of what they are about, Ian Curtis and his problems and what not. Maybe I'm just not 'getting it' yet.

If you are not into the music don't be afraid to say your not. Sure you can listen to them again in the future but never try to hard to like a piece of music your just not into. That's my opinion anyway.
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 01/05/2010 12:57
  • Post subject:
I agree. Initially, I did not get the whole thing about JD. But I bought Substance and gave it a listen. It took a few listens but it really struck a chord with my taste in music. Curtis' voice was intially hard to get used to but it was a piece of a tortured soul. The songs Transmission and She's Lost Control I really love. I like Unknown Pleasures but I am still getting used to Closer.
  • Visit poster's website
joyofdivision

• Posted: 01/05/2010 13:08
  • Post subject:
Get Substance or the Heart and Soul box set, the band were way ahead of their time and have had as much an influence on 'indie' music as The Velvet Underground did
purple

• Posted: 01/05/2010 16:21
  • Post subject:
Give the music a rest for afew days and read over the lyrics sheets for Unknown Pleasures and Closer, and try to read each one all the way through (at least Closer); even if you aren't a lyrics person, do this because this is where 80% of the 'fuss' is. When you're satisfied that you know what's going on in the lyrics, and you appreciate (I don't know if they can be enjoyed) the lyrics, go back and play both Unknown Pleasures and Closer while reading the lyric sheets. Then, some time later, go back and listen to both albums alone, and when I say listen I mean lay/sit down and really listen, paying attention only to the music. If you're willing to go through this long-ass process and still don't like them, put them away for afew months or a couple years and then try to listen to them again.

Pay attention to the production on 'Disorder,' 'She's Lost Control,' 'I Remember Nothing,' 'Passover' especially, to get the 'atmospheric' adjective often applied to them. I would also try to start getting into Unknown Pleasures first, and then Closer. I can't emphasize the lyrics sheets enough though, and not just knowing what they are but analysing interpreting them (pretend its for a class or something).
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 01/05/2010 17:43
  • Post subject:
If you don't get it after the first few bars of "Disorder" - sorry - I can't help.
  • Visit poster's website