My Music Blog's Countdown Of The Best 70 Songs Of The Decade

View previous topic :: View next topic
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 01/04/2010 04:23
  • Post subject: My Music Blog's Countdown Of The Best 70 Songs Of The Decade
Hey dudes, I'm doing a countdown of my favorite songs of the decade for a music blog I write for called Styrofoam Boots. It's 70 songs, in no particular order, 10 every day, that I think made the decade crazy awesome. Everything from dance to extreme metal to rap, indie and radio rock is represented, and I'm sure everyone will find something to agree upon in terms of what was best this decade.

http://godsshoeshine.blogspot.com/Read and enjoy! Commentary is welcome.
  • Visit poster's website
ctsimcox

• Posted: 01/06/2010 03:53
  • Post subject:
great list, i think your the person whos musical taste i agree with the most with in here, anyway i made a blog for my top 50 albums of the 00s (i posted them here in early December). Enjoy and tell me what you think http://fiftybestalbums.blogspot.com/
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 01/06/2010 22:13
  • Post subject:
I think the only assertion I take issue with is that the 00s weren't a great decade for metal. Yeah, Mastodon and Boris are amazing, but also consider: Right out the gate, in 2000 Electric Wizard's Dopethrone raised the bar not only for doom metal but all music that claims to be "heavy". The Sword and Skeletonwitch made of some of the best just-plain-fun metal in a long time, old hands like Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne and Slayer got some of their mojo back and released albums that were, if not amazing, at least the best they'd done in a long while, black metal bands like Emperor, Drudkh and Immortal only grew in relevancy, intelligence and complexity, and if all that wasn't enough Cynic released Traced In Air, the greatest metal album of the decade and very likely in the top 5 metal albums ever made. I would argue, personally, that it was a spectacular decade for metal.

Other than that, while there isn't a whole ton that I recognize there was very few that made me be like "wtf?" and I have a ton of new music to check out as soon as my recent new music overload wears off. Los Campesinos! and Lightning Bolt are especially welcome surprises.
  • Visit poster's website
ctsimcox

• Posted: 01/07/2010 00:01
  • Post subject:
By only including Boris and Mastodon I wasn't saying they were the only good metal of the 00s, I agree with you on The Sword, Electric Wizard, and Slayer and I also thought Sunn O))), Isis, and Wolves in the Throne Room put out great metal albums in the 00s.
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 01/11/2010 03:21
  • Post subject:
ctsimcox wrote:
By only including Boris and Mastodon I wasn't saying they were the only good metal of the 00s, I agree with you on The Sword, Electric Wizard, and Slayer and I also thought Sunn O))), Isis, and Wolves in the Throne Room put out great metal albums in the 00s.

I think it was in your Mastodon review where you said metal as a whole in the 00s wasn't that great.

Point is, obviously you don't think that's true and I like the list a bunch. Good stuff. Smile
  • Visit poster's website