Captain Beefheart scores

View previous topic :: View next topic
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 09/21/2012 09:17
  • Post subject: Captain Beefheart scores
Does anybody know if I can find music scores for Captain Beefheart. I'm more specifically looking for scores for "Trout Mask Replica", since it is his most divisive album. I'm not going to actually play the music myself, but I'm considering using the album in a school-related assignment.
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 09/21/2012 13:15
  • Post subject:
Large parts of Trout Mask Replica were actually written down during the process of making the album....though I don't think these scores have surfaced online or in any other way.

I've spent time looking for notation but it usually does not seem to exist.

HOWEVER I did at some point find some half-decent transcriptions of "my human gets me blues" and "veterans day poppy" (the guitar and bass parts).

I believe this is where I got them: http://gsuitman.tripod.com/#beefheart
It says tab but download the pdf/zip things and there is standard notation as well. The midi files of the songs are pretty hilarious as well.
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 09/21/2012 15:28
  • Post subject:
Thanks for your effort Yourselfisntsteem, that was quite helpful, but unfortunately I don't think it will cover enough of what I need. It would've been great if I could fine the vocal melodies written down somewhere. Especially for a track like "Pena" (though I don't think the vocals are attached to actual notes), it would've been nice if I could find score for all instruments + vocals.

Writing down "Trout Mask Replica" would be a quite insane job to do and who the hell would try to play most of his music from that album, but on the other hand, it's ranked at #58 on Rolling Stone's list, so it wouldn't be that obscure to write the album down, I think (unless it's a joke that it's ranked so high!).
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 09/21/2012 16:16
  • Post subject:
Yeah, sorry I can't help more than that. You would think more of this stuff would exist online. Most Beefheart fans are obsessive enough. Laughing

What is this assignment anyways?

Should you actually manage to find anything post it here, it would be interesting.
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 09/21/2012 20:52
  • Post subject:
Oh, that's fine. It was better than nothing, and maybe I can use it after all. If there was a book or something with Beefheart scores I could buy, that would be great too.

Well, the assignment is where I have to combine two optional school subjects (where one of them is music if I choose to write about Captain Beefheart's music, obviously) and write about an optional topic with help from the two school subjects' analysis methods.. and stuff like that! Confused a pretty heavy task, at least if you have no willpower like me! Laughing

If I find anything I'll post it, but I don't have too high hopes. I'm also an idiot when it comes to searching on the internet!