In Rainbows

View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 01/08/2010 17:47
  • Post subject: In Rainbows
Would it have been raved as much by the critics if it only had a conventional release? Would that in turn have effected it's status in the Radiohead back catalogue?

Discuss

Last edited by Kiki on 01/08/2010 23:52; edited 1 time in total
purple

• Posted: 01/08/2010 21:35
  • Post subject:
I'm not the biggest Radiohead fan, but I've got all their albums and the only album of theirs I like less than In Rainbows is Pablo Honey, but that's even a close call. In Rainbows has a couple songs that are really great, especially Bodysnatchers, but Hail to the Thief is a cohesive and really almost orchestral album, with no real sinks. In Rainbows is almost so minimalistic its boring, and this is coming from a guy who loves Wire and Spoon.
RaineyWins

Ireland

• Posted: 01/08/2010 23:15
  • Post subject:
I agree with Purple, its so, meh. Only way I can describe it, I have tried so many times to like, like force it down, but it just doesn't sit with me. And the only albums of theirs I like are Ok Computer and The Bends.
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 01/10/2010 13:28
  • Post subject:
I prefer In Rainbows over OK Computer (at the moment). The way they marketed the release I think is innovative but Nine Inch Nails used leaks and USBs to get people excited about Year Zero. But on the critics aspect, I wouldn't think the way something is released would change the opinion of a critic. I might be naive but if I was writing reviews for a living, it wouldn't change my point of view.

In regards to In Rainbows as an album, there is no real connection between the songs. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Each song could have been released seperately like Radiohead did with Harry Patch and Twisted Words last year. I initially thrashed the album when I got it. I think the minimalistic approach to some songs can drain the listener but I haven't had that problem yet. And I really love Reckoner, All I Need and House Of Cards from the album.

I think after Yorke's solo effort, the band seemed to reassess what direction to go musically. In Rainbows might be a transition album like Kid A was from OK Computer. This is a guess but you never know.
  • Visit poster's website
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/10/2010 13:50
  • Post subject:
In my opinion I think there is a connection between the songs. In fact the whole album runs on a single theme (only Bodysnatchers excepted)

It is about obsession, and unreciprocated love... wether they wrote the songs that way or just fitted them together conveniently after I'm not sure, but the general theme seems to hang on the idea of "in rainbows" there is nothing really there... it is an illusion- just light refracting through rain- as someone may delude themselves regarding the object of their desire.

An album of love songs... with a twist.
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 01/10/2010 13:53
  • Post subject:
badfaith wrote:
In my opinion I think there is a connection between the songs. In fact the whole album runs on a single theme (only Bodysnatchers excepted)

It is about obsession, and unreciprocated love... wether they wrote the songs that way or just fitted them together conveniently after I'm not sure, but the general theme seems to hang on the idea of "in rainbows" there is nothing really there... it is an illusion- just light refracting through rain- as someone may delude themselves regarding the object of their desire.

An album of love songs... with a twist.

Never thought of it that way. I need to read into albums more.
  • Visit poster's website
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/10/2010 13:58
  • Post subject:
Radiohead always require an inordinate amount of scrutiny... they can be very opaque....but then, perhaps that'ss just what I read in them, others may well see something completely different. (happens a lot me! I seem to live in a world all my own, but hey, the weather's fine here)
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 01/19/2010 15:33
  • Post subject:
In Rainbows was OK, but it certainly doesn't deserve on my BAE list. Currently, OK Computer is the only one that has done so.

Some of the tracks are fun, but the overall experience just isn't anything special.
  • Visit poster's website