Mod points revisions

View previous topic :: View next topic
jhuik
BOSS

Canada

• Posted: 10/28/2012 23:25
  • Post subject: Mod points revisions
Hey albummaster,

As always I must begin by saying how much I love this site and appreciate all the work.

Some suggestions as per mod points:

1. If someone starts a thread they get one extra point for that.

2. If a thread is sticky ( a good thread) the person who started it might get bonus points. Say, every ten replies adds 1 point or at least 1/2 a point.

3. Um, a minimal character count for comments? I'm looking at you RMNAPLES! (Though you sometimes do have substance to your comments, I'll add.) A comment that is only 25 characters is not nearly as valuable as a comment that is several sentences. Or longer. There are some very substantial comments on some albums then someone comes along and says "Best track Mr. Jones." Each commentor gets same number of mod points. That aint fair, neither is life, but character count is an easy way to fix this.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 10/28/2012 23:32
  • Post subject:
Sometimes a simple, to-the-point comment can be more interesting or valuable in some way than an essay.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 10/29/2012 08:04
  • Post subject: Re: Mod points revisions
Hi, thanks for the feedback and some interesting ideas. I've thought about a minimum character count before (& it has been discussed by the moderators), but sometimes a short post is appropriate, and it's easy enough to get around by copying/pasting a standard response etc. The way this is circumvented on the rest of the site is by the 'helpful' vote mechanism. If a comment has helpfulness score of less than minus two, it is not counted towards a person's points total. A similar mechanism could be added to the forums as well, but I suspect it wouldn't work as well because the forums are a much more informal communication medium. I like the idea of good/popular topics being rewarded, and perhaps there is a way of doing this by using the number of replies etc, but doing it in a way that is not easily gamed. Regards rewarding all new topics, I'm not sure it would be a good idea, because I think it could lead to more duplicate topics and topics created for the sake of it, and the content on the forums might then become a bit more spammy with extra topics that don't need to be here.
  • Visit poster's website