The Biggest Sell-Outs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2012 00:46
  • Post subject:
It's often tough to decipher between a bands sound simply evolving and a band selling out for the $$. I stand by my Sugar Ray and Goo Goo Dolls post from the beginning of the thread.
  • Visit poster's website
thejoj96

• Posted: 11/17/2012 00:49
  • Post subject:
It can be argued that Bruce Springsteen sold out with Born in the U.S.A. Especially coming right after Nebraska.
purple

• Posted: 11/17/2012 00:51
  • Post subject:
I think there's some unknowledge (gimme a break, I'm drinking) here about what "selling out" might be. It's an overused term that often doesn't apply to groups that many people think it applies to. Bands are almost always making music that they want to play (e.g. Metallica and (as much as I hate them (look at that bracketing!)) Green Day). Whereas some groups are meant to be commercial upon release (e.g. KISS (though Animalize is the greatest record of the past three decades (more awesome bracketing!)) and Crazy Town). What I'm trying to say is: (1) often groups sell out before they even release a record; (2) groups that move to big labels (e.g. Sonic Youth and Nirvana) simply see a larger record label as a larger platform on which to allow more people to listen to their music; and (3) groups that change their sound to something "more mainstream" or "different" evolve their sound based on personal preference, rather than sales.

BTW, I don't think Metallica has released a poor album, sans Load and Death Magnetic... and even those aren't that bad