The Doors of Perception/Book suggestions

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
mikeyskywalker

• Posted: 04/15/2010 18:40
  • Post subject:
badfaith wrote:
I still haven't read Prometheus, nut someone suggested it to me, and I'll get round to perusing it soon hopefully.

As far as the doors of Perception are concerned, there are a couple of analogeous (spell that right? hmmm) conditions of being that equate to the state described there. Namely AUTISM, where, depending on the acuteness of the sufferers condition, such filtration of reality does not exist, or the lack of narrowing (mind focus) of the perceptive range effectively paralyze the mind, and overwhelm it with reality information, and the condition of a newborn baby, which has not yet learned to distinguish parts of reality, and assign them labels, values, qualities and juxtaposition in relation to each other, except that which has been passe as a predisposition or function of the emerging mind through heredity or genetics.
The peak of my first LSD trip was like mentally stepping out into a blizzard of reality as I recall, with so much info and awareness battering my poor brain that I am left with only a vague impression of the experience, unable to retain a distinct and complete memory of what my mind was not designed (in a general sense) to bear witness to in so complete a manner.

Like you, it did prompt me read more in diverse fields, or 'pick at that scab' as it were.
This first led me to Jung and psychology of his description, which I found placed a suitable 'frame' around the other texts I read or context in which to see hallucinagenic experience, spirituality, religion etc etc.
The context of the human mind, the prism through which all this other light shines.
But I have to say (not sure if I have before, but I'll say again at the risk of being boring!) that Being and Nothingness by Jean Paul Sartre was a real eye opener (and brain melter).
From there, take another look at the bible, the Koran, I ching (and other Taoist texts), Buddhist and other religious documentations and everything begins to fit together in a new way.
It's not that these things are incompatable, just viewed rom a different angle of reality.

...or to paraphrase Shakespeare in Julius Caesar:

"the problem is not in our stars, but in ourselves"

I'll get back in my box now and shut up.

Hm, that's very interesting. I've always wondered about the perceptions of the mentally ill, and especially autism. I will have to read Being and Nothingness, thanks for the suggestion!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/16/2010 13:52
  • Post subject:
One of my favourite books which is kind of related to this is The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot. It changed the way I think about the nature of reality. Interesting interview with the author here
  • Visit poster's website
mikeyskywalker

• Posted: 04/16/2010 19:05
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
One of my favourite books which is kind of related to this is The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot. It changed the way I think about the nature of reality. Interesting interview with the author here

That was a great interview! Found the last part interesting about the mind controlling reality. I will have to read this, sounds like something up my lane of interest! Thank you albummaster!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
maxperenchio

• Posted: 04/21/2010 00:42
  • Post subject:
Huxley was a wonderful writer- thats what makes "doors" a more enjoyable read than, say, an online "trip report". But in essence, I think its just about the same thing, but articulated by the guy who wrote Brave New World, instead of a guy who just got out of a Widespread Panic show.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 04/21/2010 05:39
  • Post subject:
This sounds like Plato's Theory of Forms.

I'm not sure how I feel about it though.

Part of me thinks it's an actual recoiling from the drudge of reality by creating a romanticized fantasy-world. But isn't that what art is for?
  • Visit poster's website
telefunker

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/21/2010 09:31
  • Post subject:
i find studying psychology and the nature of reality to be running towards the truth, not away from it.. if anything it's more depressing

of course some people such as the new-age 'love and light' brigade probably assume a little too much wisdom for themselves and live in a delusional fantasy land of angels and crystal wands..
maxperenchio

• Posted: 04/22/2010 21:30
  • Post subject:
dude telefunker quit making fun of crystal wands...you just don't get it
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email